SGZC12ss turning off

The side voltage in needs to be 12V
USB is 5V, most power banks are 5V

I don't think what you are proposing will work, not making sense so far.

They do make very expensive specialized power banks that have 12V options on them.
@niko do you remember the one we used to recommend 2 years ago?

There are also these battery options.
http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/accessories/battery-packs

Last edited:
That one looks better than the one I saw 2 years ago.

The price doesn't seem all that outrageous somehow even though it isn't cheap. It's not some generic either but appears to be a company that is likely to stand behind the product.

I've been very intrigued by this 50,000 mAh 5v/12v/20v 4 USB port power bank I recently came across on Amazon.
How would i exactly connect this to my dashcam and safety magic pro??

50,000 mha(?) would surely do the job probably.

The thing about lukas backup battery is that it takes way too long to recharge. I see that most ppl are not satisfied with it from my research.

Ps. "OUR K2 Battery Pack Can Be Recharged in Just 6-8 Hours" it takes 6-8 hours to recharge? :0

How would i exactly connect this to my dashcam and safety magic pro??

50,000 mha(?) would surely do the job probably.

The thing about lukas backup battery is that it takes way too long to recharge. I see that most ppl are not satisfied with it from my research.

Ps. "OUR K2 Battery Pack Can Be Recharged in Just 6-8 Hours" it takes 6-8 hours to recharge? :0

All large lithium-ion power banks take a long time to recharge. It's just how they work. People who are not happy that power banks take so long to charge simply don't understand how they work. 6-8 hours would be very fast actually and a 50,000 mAh battery should take far longer than that unless charged at very high current, so I'm skeptical about that claim. One of my 20,000 mAh lithium-polymer powerbanks takes 10 hours to fully charge @2 amps and that is more typical.

You would not use something like the Magic Pro with a typical power bank. A power bank is used as an alternative to your car battery, not between your car battery and your dash cam. The Power Magic Pro is meant to prevent your car battery from draining too far. It is not meant for use with a power bank.

The simple answer to your original question, "Is it possible to simply get some cigarette adapters like these and get a normal external powerbank instead of powerbank specific to dashcam?" is No, although the Lukas products @Pier28 previously linked to may work for you. I don't believe you would use those with a Power Magic Pro however.

@jokiin's suggestion of the Celllink B may be worth a look.

Last edited:
I think the Cellink uses the same technology that some newer mobile phones do these days that have rapid charge functionality by using a higher input voltage, they can fully charge in an hour and get up to 30 hours of run time out of the charge which is quite impressive really

I think the Cellink uses the same technology that some newer mobile phones do these days that have rapid charge functionality by using a higher input voltage, they can fully charge in an hour and get up to 30 hours of run time out of the charge which is quite impressive really

The Cellink B uses a LiFePO4 battery instead of a standard lithium-ion and can therefore charge far faster. The Lukas LK-570 also uses a LiFePO4 battery.

I should add that LiFePO4 (Lithium iron phosphate) batteries do not have the safety concerns of lithium-ion or lithium polymer batteries such as overheating and potential explosions, have much longer cycle lifetimes, 8 to 10 times the power density and have a wider operating temperature range. They are really in many ways better suited for dash cam battery banks. The problem is that they are very expensive so that a LiFePO4 battery bank usually costs far more than the dash cam they are running.

not cheap but you do only get what you pay for

It's all relative. The Lukas LK-570 for example is $250.00 and has a lot of advanced features and yet it is only rated at 20 hours assuming a .3 amp load which isn't so great, but .3 amp is typical for Lukas dash cams. For all the benefits of LiFePO4 batteries, the drawback is that they just don't have the oomph of lithium-ion cells. That's why you don't see LiFePO4 powerbanks used to jump start cars for example.

I don't know the current requirements for the SGZC12ss but my guess is that it is higher than .3 amps.

For someone like me who regularly runs four cameras off two power banks such expensive units would be out of the question because I think I you would need one for each camera or maybe two. My 22 dollar generic 20,000 mAh banks have been performing perfectly for about two years now and they put out 2.1 amps and 1 amp on two ports each. Of course, these are 5v output and the SGZC12ss requires 12v so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. I think I'm just trying to saying that there is a diminishing return on the value proposition if you spend hundreds of dollars or more to power the dash cams in your vehicle unless you have money to burn.

For me, I think I would forego power banks altogether if I were to install a battery management system.

The Vico-Power PLUS is the Mercedes of battery discharge prevention hard wire kits if someone wants "the best". I just posted this bench test demo walk through recently.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ce-low-voltage-timer-high-temp-cut-off.17992/

Is it really necessary to turn EVERY discussion into an opportunity to promote the products you sell Jon? This is now the sixth self promotional link to this product alone that you have posted in various threads on DCT in the last two days. You even keep posting links to your products which you are well aware is a violation of the rules here on DCT. There is no other vendor on DCT who does this, especially to the extent that YOU do it. I'm sorry man, but you are just a SPAMMER!

It's all relative. The Lukas LK-570 for example is $250.00 and has a lot of advanced features and yet it is only rated at 20 hours assuming a .3 amp load which isn't so great, but .3 amp is typical for Lukas dash cams. For all the benefits of LiFePO4 batteries, the drawback is that they just don't have the oomph of lithium-ion cells. That's why you don't see LiFePO4 powerbanks used to jump start cars for example.

I don't know the current requirements for the SGZC12ss but my guess is that it is higher than .3 amps.

For someone like me who regularly runs four cameras off two power banks such expensive units would be out of the question because I think I you would need one for each camera or maybe two. My 22 dollar generic 20,000 mAh banks have been performing perfectly for about two years now and they put out 2.1 amps and 1 amp on two ports each. Of course, these are 5v output and the SGZC12ss requires 12v so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. I think I'm just trying to saying that there is a diminishing return on the value proposition if you spend hundreds of dollars or more to power the dash cams in your vehicle unless you have money to burn.

For me, I think I would forego power banks altogether if I were to install a battery management system.

Thanks for the detailed replies. It seems that the only choice for the powerbank would be the Cellink B which is $250..
It takes an hour to fully charge but i rarely drive an hour. More parking than driving.
It would be so annoying to take it home to charge it.. The price is super high anyways :(

I originally bought the dashcam so that i can run it 24/7 with multisafer (i have this to bypass Auto start/stop tech. not Magic Pro)
It would really be nice if i can get even 4 hours of parking, and fully charges after driving for like 20 mins.
But i guess there's no such thing unless i spend alot.

Mellow, I'm the North America distributer for Street Guardian and I just launched this hard wire kit product in support of the SS and others yesterday. This is a SS thread with a related topic so I'm simply showing a demo of the product in action. I'm sorry if you are offended but this isn't being posted in unrelated threads or with direct links to my sales channels. I've been a member here for 3 years and have learned to balance everything the best I can. All I want to do is help. I work 7 days a week to respond to all questions as fast as possible. You make it sound like I'm one of the oddball China sellers that post completely unrelated things.

Thanks for the detailed replies. It seems that the only choice for the powerbank would be the Cellink B which is $250..
It takes an hour to fully charge but i rarely drive an hour. More parking than driving.
It would be so annoying to take it home to charge it.. The price is super high anyways :(

I originally bought the dashcam so that i can run it 24/7 with multisafer (i have this to bypass Auto start/stop tech. not Magic Pro)
It would really be nice if i can get even 4 hours of parking, and fully charges after driving for like 20 mins.
But i guess there's no such thing unless i spend alot.

I run four 5v cameras when I park my vehicle using two modestly priced 5v power banks. They will run cameras for between ten and twenty hours on a charge. I don't find taking them inside to charge them to be too much of a hassle and it has just become a routine. Unless I drain them down all the way they don't take too long to charge and even then if I charge them overnight they are ready in the morning when I leave the house. I even just bought a new 20,000 mAh lithium-polymer bank from reputable company with a one year warranty on Amazon for only 24 dollars and so far I am extremely pleased with it. Then again, I don't require 24/7 use of my cameras.

I made the decision to buy 5v dash cams rather than 12v cameras specifically so I could run them off low cost power banks. It might be a consideration for a future dash cam purchase as it may facilitate what you want to accomplish. I guess a different power management system may also be an option.

Last edited:
You just posted a screenshot of my Pier28 vendor thread in the Dash Cam Vendors - USA section, where of course links are allowed.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/united-states.61/
Why are you so upset and calling me a liar? That's not very nice at all. Let's not push this thread off topic here.

let me know if this would work then..maybe you said it won't work..but let me try again haha

Get a powerbank that has 12v output.
Get a cable that convert from Powerbank insert to cigarette female

Normal days, i would be just running my current set up. When i need the parking mode, I would simply unplug my camera from the current set up and connect it to the power bank using the cable converter.
If i ever take a long trip, then i can recharge the powerbank with usb.

This would cost me about $50. With a nice powerbank, it'll give me at least 10,000 MaH(?)
i'm not sure how many hours this would give me but i'm guessing maybe 4 hours in cold weather?

i don't really see why this setup wouldn't work. let me know

Back