Shadow 1s Car DVR FullHD 30FPS with light sensor by SeeZeus

I see there is a firmware update now available. I wonder what has changed ?

I asked them to post a change log, but so far nothing. I did mention that they need to extend the motion detect time from the current 12secs to 1 min

I bought one of these from estore009 on ebay, and installed it in my car (2016 Chevy Camaro) this weekend, after updating to the latest firmware Shadow1-en-201605051731
Initial impressions:
1. Lane departure warning gives many false alarms - I turned it off.
2. Vehicle ahead warning is too late to avoid a real collision, but also gives many false alarms - I turned it off.
3. Can't raise the lens high enough, so the bottom half of the video is just my car's hood.
4. Video records successfully on a Transcend 64GB microSD card
5. GPS works fine

Your experiences are pretty much the same as mine although I'm fortunate that my windshield slope does just barely allow me to get just the top part of the hood in view. I wonder what kind of car they used as a model when designing the tilt range of motion. Very odd
These lane departure and collision avoidance features are only gimmicks in my opinion, I would never have these on in any dash cam. Complete waste of time.

The 158 deg lens seems to capture the hood, regardless. A slight downward angle may prevent some sunlight getting directly in the lens ???
Mine seems to work fine but the lens angle is a little wider than I prefer.

Last edited:
If you compare this camera with other "wedge" styles such as the A118/9 or SG the range of vertical tilt is very restrictive. As I say in my car it is ok, but there will be many cars that it simply will not work at all. I would think that pickup trucks would see only the hood.

These lane departure and collision avoidance features are only gimmicks in my opinion, I would never have these on in any dash cam. Complete waste of time.

I can't see them ever working well without interfacing to the vehicle, needs input from indicators, ECU, brakes etc to know if a move is intentional or not

I can't see them ever working well without interfacing to the vehicle, needs input from indicators, ECU, brakes etc to know if a move is intentional or not

Completely agree. I fly a $15 million helicopter with EGPWS and TAWS and even it is subject to false warnings, so I doubt a $100 dash cam can do this.

Here are 2 stills from today Shadow 1s and Viofo pre-production A119. Obviously the FOV and frame is different but the A119 is superior in my opinion and this is a beta test model.

2016_0517_121621_617.MP4 - 20 second.jpeg 05171214_7796.MP4 - 177 second.jpeg

The A119 seems too blue and 1s is a little too yellow. Both are great picture (clarity).

I agree that they are both pretty good, but I think that once the beta testing is done, FW is tweaked and possibly a different lens when the A119 gets to production it should be pretty good. I prefer its FOV over the Shadow 1s. I should mention that so far both have been very stable, no missing files or card errors or random shut downs, etc. I much prefer the file lock system/button of the A119, but if its important to you the 1S has a bigger screen and comes with GPS for $99 on eBay. The final price for the A119 has not been announced that I know of.

Yesterday I received Shadow 1s ordered from Amazon and installed in my car today without updating its firmware. Video quality is really bad under perfect sunny day -- nowhere near even 720p (yes I removed lens protection film and selected 1080p 30fps default and turned on WDR). MicroSD card is SanDisk ultra class 10 64GB XC I. I cannot even read license plate of the cars passing me on either sides.

I did firmware update to 201605051731 a couple of hours ago. Will see if new firmware improves video quality. Hope I didn't get a bad unit.

Also I cannot download 'Shadow Player' from shadow-tec.com. It says "HTTP 错误 404.0 - Not Found 您要找的资源已被删除、已更名或暂时不可用。".

The cam put one in my card the first time I formatted the card (nice job!). I was able to install it on my Windows 8.1 but when I run it, it won't open/play any of the clips recorded by Shadow 1S. When I updated firmware using the same card, I did format and the 'setup.exe' was erased. Anyone know where I can find a working one? Or a working alternative (to be able to get gps info as well)?

Cam lens angle is fine in my Passat. Well, there are many VW cars in China. Two big blocks on power cable near the mini usb plug are simply awful. You cannot tuck the cable away. Why can't they be moved closer to the other end?

I have similar issues with number plate recognition on the sides. This seems to be due to a lens that is too wide (158 deg). My other dashcam has a 140 degree lens and is not so bad. Although I am impressed with the overall clarity of the Shadow 1s during day and night.

The block on the power cable (ferrite bead) is too close to the end. It can be removed relocated by opening/breaking the plastic case.
Ferrite_bead.jpg

Yesterday I received Shadow 1s ordered from Amazon and installed in my car today without updating its firmware. Video quality is really bad under perfect sunny day -- nowhere near even 720p (yes I removed lens protection film and selected 1080p 30fps default and turned on WDR). MicroSD card is SanDisk ultra class 10 64GB XC I. I cannot even read license plate of the cars passing me on either sides.

I did firmware update to 201605051731 a couple of hours ago. Will see if new firmware improves video quality. Hope I didn't get a bad unit.

Also I cannot download 'Shadow Player' from shadow-tec.com. It says "HTTP 错误 404.0 - Not Found 您要找的资源已被删除、已更名或暂时不可用。".

The cam put one in my card the first time I formatted the card (nice job!). I was able to install it on my Windows 8.1 but when I run it, it won't open/play any of the clips recorded by Shadow 1S. When I updated firmware using the same card, I did format and the 'setup.exe' was erased. Anyone know where I can find a working one? Or a working alternative (to be able to get gps info as well)?

Cam lens angle is fine in my Passat. Well, there are many VW cars in China. Two big blocks on power cable near the mini usb plug are simply awful. You cannot tuck the cable away. Why can't they be moved closer to the other end?
about the shadow 1s' GPS player you no need to download, it will show automatically from the memory card.

I have similar issues with number plate recognition on the sides. This seems to be due to a lens that is too wide (158 deg). My other dashcam has a 140 degree lens and is not so bad. Although I am impressed with the overall clarity of the Shadow 1s during day and night.

The block on the power cable (ferrite bead) is too close to the end. It can be removed relocated by opening/breaking the plastic case.
View attachment 23309

That's great. I will definitely move it next to the 12v-5v converter box. Firmware upgrade improved resolution a little bit but it's still nowhere near the sample video posted on shadow-tec.com. Hope their engineers continue to improve their software.

about the shadow 1s' GPS player you no need to download, it will show automatically from the memory card.

谢谢。南希。非常聪明的设计。我在卡里找到了。在另外一台电脑安装后可以放了。我在佛罗里达。夏天很热。 shadow 1s 用电容。很适合我用。固件升级后成像还是不很好。不知道有什么方法改进? 谢谢。

Updated to the 5/5 firmware the other day. Had the camera completely freeze up a day prior, on the old firmware.
Things I've noticed so far for new firmware:
  • G-sensor is much less sensitive on Medium. Previously it was triggering just by going over rumble strips on the road.
  • Lane departure/distance sensor is a bit less touchy. Camera doesn't claim "you are already lane departure" as often, and fewer false notifications.
  • GPS longitude is still showing negative, which causes the Shadow Player software to think the location is somewhere in China, and east/west are reversed on the map display.
Overall impressions is that it seems to be an OK camera, I prefer the old B40 but the built-in GPS on this is nice. I don't care much for the charger cable, the ferrite block is much too close to the camera plug, and the "button switch" on top of the power plug-in is a bit wonky and does not seem to stay on properly.

Back