Shadow GT680W

So, you recommend to downgrade v2.5g to v2.2g in order to get gps issue fixed ?
As I see, the new FW support multiple language, and menu changed.
Shadow don't mention this firmware fixed GPS issue, but the released a new better gps player tool, i will upload once i got it.
About the GPS module, I see they are try to find much better module, maybe the price will be higher.
Like the GT550W gps module that provide from DOD, the price is very high.

Ver 2.4G.

I was in communication with Foxoffer support team, and they also mentioned the retro V2.2G as latest..

I'm gonna try this firmware out tonight and see if the GPS will work...

Niko, in previous posts, I thought your GPS is working? Do you also have GPS not locking on issue or is it some other GPS problem?

Gps was locking but it took too long some time compare to other gos dash cams i have. Hope with new firmware this will be resolved. Will test over the weekend.

As I see, the new FW support multiple language, and menu changed.
Shadow don't mention this firmware fixed GPS issue, but the released a new better gps player tool, i will upload once i got it.
About the GPS module, I see they are try to find much better module, maybe the price will be higher.
Like the GT550W gps module that provide from DOD, the price is very high.

ok. So its not a firmware issue but gps module itself is weak ?

GPS is by Fujitsu, its quite a decent spec

Maybe shadow-tec have not properly tuned-up firmware to full compability of gps module?.

I have just received my GT680W from Foxoffer, less than two weeks delivery to the UK using the basic mail service. I can also confirm that I ordered the GPS version and it arrived with V2.5 firmware.

Hi all,

I've flashed my firmware to Ver 2.2 G and indeed the GPS not locking problem did not go away (i.e. my GPS is still not working).

The menu has changed and seems to have more language shown, but for the menu items itself, it seems no change from other versions. Just a cosmetic rearrangement of the screen menu??

I'm not sure if I saw wrongly, but after this firmware flash, the video shown on my cam LCD screen seems brighter for the night videos... my settings were the same as before but somehow the screen shows more details at night... maybe i'm seeing things? can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Hi all,
Newbie here so please be gentle, I received my shadow gt680w last week, I had to pay £11 customs and vat to DHL before they would deliver it, I am having the gps issues also, the problem i am having is that the longitude is showing w3.534197 on the camera screen and also on the Registrator viewer map which puts me in the North sea between the UK and Amsterdam, It should be either - 3.534197 or E3.534197, I have V2.2G firmware on the camera and have V5.4.4.0 Registrator viewer ,
I contacted Vadim about the problem and his reply was "May be you had enabled coordinates reflect in the menu View - Coordinates?" So i tried altering these bit still not working, Hope someone comes up with a solution sooner rather than later, the picture quality is amazing though.

Regards Bill.

Hi all,

I've flashed my firmware to Ver 2.2 G and indeed the GPS not locking problem did not go away (i.e. my GPS is still not working).

The menu has changed and seems to have more language shown, but for the menu items itself, it seems no change from other versions. Just a cosmetic rearrangement of the screen menu??

I'm not sure if I saw wrongly, but after this firmware flash, the video shown on my cam LCD screen seems brighter for the night videos... my settings were the same as before but somehow the screen shows more details at night... maybe i'm seeing things? can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Same here. I just received my GT680W yesterday. The camera works great! But the GPS cannot lock.... :(

Tried my GT680W, V2.5 firmware,which arrived yesterday, again no gps, but video quality seems excellent.
Personally I would regard this as quite a major fault in a unit which is being advertised with GPS and would say it should have been tested fully before release for sale. I don't think anyone has bought a unit with it working 100% yet, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Same here. I just received my GT680W yesterday. The camera works great! But the GPS cannot lock.... :(

I tot it was our location that the GPS satellites not passing over, but my HP GPS is working.. so its the GPS module having issues I think..

Yes, the picture quality is very good, and on par with the more expensive Korean sets too.. Pity the GPS not working (yet??), and for US$100 i think this cam is worth it by itself...

Hope Shadow comes up with the GPS solution quickly...

Hi,
hope someone can help,
my gt680w is freezing after approx 1 min 26 seconds. I am using a genuine samsung 32gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w.

Hi,
hope someone can help,
my gt680w is freezing after approx 1 min 26 seconds. I am using a genuine samsung 32gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w.

Have you tried to format microsd card inside dash camera first, before use ?

Yes, card was formatted inside the GT680W. When the camera arrived, on Friday, I had used it to go into my local village, it recorded approximately 10 minutes worth of footage. When I used it yesterday it kept freezing, same memory card, same car.

Do we all need to do that when we first got the new camera?

With any new product that uses removable mass storage media it is essential to make formatt inside unit itself. It's kind of "calibration / marriage" of two devices, MicroSd with dash camera :)
Also later on its recommender to perform miscrosd formatt twice per month to "refresh this marriage" :)

Last edited:
Also later on its recommender to perform miscrosd formatt twice per month to "refresh this marriage" :)

Good advice but I wonder how many people actually do that to all their memory cards they own. We are not talking about just dashcams, nowaday we have memory cards in smartphones, digital cameras, portable car GPS units, etc. If we have to format them all in their respective units every fortnightly, we may not have time to do other things like eat, sleep, ****, etc. :D Just the task of formatting memory card for the smartphone, then having to reinstall apps and copying all previous contents back to your own previous configuration can be a nightmare itself. Backup and restore program for the smartphones is not fail-proof either.

Sorry Niko, have to disagree with you there at the end. To me a dashcam should be a set-and-forget device. It should not require fortnightly maintenance. Otherwise I would rather not bother owning a dashcam and going through the hassle of maintaining it, I have other more important things in life I need to attend to.

Back