Shadow GT680W

Good advice but I wonder how many people actually do that to all their memory cards they own. We are not talking about just dashcams, nowaday we have memory cards in smartphones, digital cameras, portable car GPS units, etc. If we have to format them all in their respective units every fortnightly, we may not have time to do other things like eat, sleep, ****, etc. :D Just the task of formatting memory card for the smartphone, then having to reinstall apps and copying all previous contents back to your own previous configuration can be a nightmare itself. Backup and restore program for the smartphones is not fail-proof either.

Sorry Niko, have to disagree with you there at the end. To me a dashcam should be a set-and-forget device. It should not require fortnightly maintenance. Otherwise I would rather not bother owning a dashcam and going through the hassle of maintaining it, I have other more important things in life I need to attend to.

Every two weeks formatting microsd card I was talking about dash camera. This is recommendation from most manufacturers if your read their manual. Many dash cams has microsd auto-formatting function, so you dont have to think yourself.
With all otehr devices it is also recommended to format micro sd card when you use it FIRST time inside that device ( thats what I wrote ), - so you maybe miss-understood me. Of course later on it would be stupid to format, because as you mentioned there are a lot of files, apps etc.
With dash cameras is different: microsd is in constant use ( "wear and tear" ), it's working under pressure, so it is essential to format microsd card time to time.
This what I meant ;)

Every two weeks formatting microsd card I was talking about dash camera. This is recommendation from most manufacturers if your read their manual. Many dash cams has microsd auto-formatting function, so you dont have to think yourself.
With all otehr devices it is also recommended to format micro sd card when you use it FIRST time inside that device ( thats what I wrote ), - so you maybe miss-understood me. Of course later on it would be stupid to format, because as you mentioned there are a lot of files, apps etc.
With dash cameras is different: microsd is in constant use ( "wear and tear" ), it's working under pressure, so it is essential to format microsd card time to time.
This what I meant ;)

Hi, I didn't mis-understand you. I agree you should format the card inside the cam the FIRST time you want to use the card with the cam. Just that I don't agree we have to format the card every 2 weeks there after. My Mini 0801 cam has Format function in the menu but it does not automatically format the card by itself every 2 weeks, that means I have to remember to do it manually by going into the menu and choose Format the card each time. I am reading the PDF manual of the Mini 0801, and there is no mention in the manual about having to format the card every 2 weeks. I will probably reformat my microSD card, may be once every 6 months if so. Definitely won't be every 2 weeks, that is just ridiculous.

There's no strict requirement to format the card regularly, it's just preventative maintenance, not all cards are created equally

Requirement to format is for first time use.
Recommendation to format after that when in normal everyday use after some period. Its all depends how much you drive ( recording ). Some records 1h pwr day, others ( bus, -truck drivers ) 8 and more hours per day.
Not all user manuals include this recommendations, especially mid- or low class dash cams from small manufacturers. Most high-end or well known strong brands (Korean ) has this info included into user manual and also many have auto-firmat reminder function.
Of course there are no fixed rules on how often to format like jokiin mentioned. Its all comes to hiw good quality memomy card you use and how othen you record per day / week. Different quality dash cams and memory cards need different approach.
We can compare it to car oil change ( service ) recommendations.

Hi,
hope someone can help,
my gt680w is freezing after approx 1 min 26 seconds. I am using a genuine samsung 32gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w.
I have now retried using the unit with two different memory cards, both formatted in the machine,
A genuine samsung 32gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w
A genuine Sandisk Ultra 16gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w
The unit is still freezing after a few minutes. I have also changed to default settings and tried using it both with and without the gps module.
I purchased from foxoffer and have emailed them, but going by their response to my email relating to problems with my dead 7 month old viofo gs8000, I will not hear anything for a couple of weeks, and even then they will be of no help (I rate their after sales support to be very poor).
Can anyone help (at the minute I am deeply regretting buying this cam and would not recommend it to anyone, there seem to be too many problems)

I have now retried using the unit with two different memory cards, both formatted in the machine,
A genuine samsung 32gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w
A genuine Sandisk Ultra 16gb class 10 card formatted in the gt680w
The unit is still freezing after a few minutes. I have also changed to default settings and tried using it both with and without the gps module.
I purchased from foxoffer and have emailed them, but going by their response to my email relating to problems with my dead 7 month old viofo gs8000, I will not hear anything for a couple of weeks, and even then they will be of no help (I rate their after sales support to be very poor).
Can anyone help (at the minute I am deeply regretting buying this cam and would not recommend it to anyone, there seem to be too many problems)

Aside from the GPS glitches I've been reading on this forum on the GT680W, everyone appears to be enjoying their new silver painted dash cam. I'm almost ready to make the plunge, but I'm still trying to recover my money on the defective 808 DR32 that I've purchased from FoxOffer back in May (yes, almost 5-months). The DR32 came in with a very poor lens which made pretty much everything blurry beyond the front of my bumper, defeating the purpose of HD video and a dash-cam. Instead, I'm trying t find a local (USA) dealer who I can purchase from without the hassle of attempting to ship back to China and waiting till it hits their RMA location.

For the record, it is illegal to ship any camera from USA to China:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm

Prohibitions 130)
Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators.
So consider it a one way street. I wouldn't be surprised if my 808 has been thrown in the garbage at China Customs, due to this prohibition.

Anyways, to your GT680W, I'm going to now hold back for a bit (although I really would like to start driving with a dashcam in my car) until the GT680W proves out itself. I may instead purchase the GT550W through Amazon Prime which I can return without any problems within 30-days if there is an issue with 100% money back. The GT550W is stocked by Amazon through E-Prance. It's much larger than I'd like, but may be less of a hassle to return.

Niko... off topic: since you are a great poster here on these forums, do you have any issues with the GT550W?

Aside from the GPS glitches I've been reading on this forum on the GT680W, everyone appears to be enjoying their new silver painted dash cam. I'm almost ready to make the plunge, but I'm still trying to recover my money on the defective 808 DR32 that I've purchased from FoxOffer back in May (yes, almost 5-months). The DR32 came in with a very poor lens which made pretty much everything blurry beyond the front of my bumper, defeating the purpose of HD video and a dash-cam. Instead, I'm trying t find a local (USA) dealer who I can purchase from without the hassle of attempting to ship back to China and waiting till it hits their RMA location.

For the record, it is illegal to ship any camera from USA to China:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm

Prohibitions 130)
Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators.
So consider it a one way street. I wouldn't be surprised if my 808 has been thrown in the garbage at China Customs, due to this prohibition.

Anyways, to your GT680W, I'm going to now hold back for a bit (although I really would like to start driving with a dashcam in my car) until the GT680W proves out itself. I may instead purchase the GT550W through Amazon Prime which I can return without any problems within 30-days if there is an issue with 100% money back. The GT550W is stocked by Amazon through E-Prance. It's much larger than I'd like, but may be less of a hassle to return.

Niko... off topic: since you are a great poster here on these forums, do you have any issues with the GT550W?

I think there is a way to post back some so called "prohibited" items but you have to use expencive FedEx or UPS. They handle goods differently.

Unfort i dont have gt550w. So can not help you with this, sorry.

via the US postal service, there are other options, just not as cost effective I guess

Yes, there are other options like UPS or FedEx, but each of these would be more than the $16 USD I've paid and will never get back to ship it via USB online service.

I think there is a way to post back some so called "prohibited" items but you have to use expencive FedEx or UPS. They handle goods differently.

Unfort i dont have gt550w. So can not help you with this, sorry.

I'm sorry... I thought you mentioned having played with the GT300W, 550W and the 680W in your earlier posts. Perhaps I'll do some more research and read up on the 550W if I want to make the plunge.

I'm sorry... I thought you mentioned having played with the GT300W, 550W and the 680W in your earlier posts. Perhaps I'll do some more research and read up on the 550W if I want to make the plunge.

I do have in hand from that series: ls300w ( gt300w ), gt450w, gt680w. With those I was "playing".

And still waiting the review with GT680W :) .

About the GPS issue, first please check whether the GPS module can search the satellite signal.
Now new GPS player tool released, and will be improved in future. The manufacture work hard on the player tool.
There are two version GPS play tool, one for use in China, one for use in Other country, please download this version.
http://pan.baidu.com/s/15R8pm
F
oxoffer will try to test the GPS module to avoid the the module self issue.

About the GPS issue, first please check whether the GPS module can search the satellite signal.
Now new GPS player tool released, and will be improved in future. The manufacture work hard on the player tool.
There are two version GPS play tool, one for use in China, one for use in Other country, please download this version.
http://pan.baidu.com/s/15R8pm
Foxoffer will try to test the GPS module to avoid the the module self issue.
hi Billknow,
do you work for foxoffer?

Yes, if you have any questions, please let me know.We do our best to control the product quality.
yes, which firmware should I be using on the GT680w. Currently it has been delivered with V2.5G, however V2.2G seems to have more languages contained which leads me to believe it is more up to date. Is a new firmware installation likely to resolve problems I am having with the unit freezing?
Also as a suggestion towards a firmware update, is it possible to include an option for MPH (miles per hour) as well as KPH.
Lastly, I will be using this camera in a number of trucks (2 each night), I am sure others move their camera between vehicles, is it possible for the manufacturer to develop a gps module/mount similar to this
or
I had already modified my gs8000 mount in a similar fashion, but cannot see a way of doing it with the module supplied with the GT680W.

cheers

Last week I have got GT680W from Seezeus company directly.
Firmware was latest v2.7.
I am using a genuine Transcend 16gb class 10 card. It works OK.
Concerning GPS issue. First time GPS can not lock 3 minutes.
And then, it locks about from 10 sec to 60 sec

Attachments

• 20131018_223128.jpg
    20131018_223128.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Last week I have got GT680W from Seezeus company directly.
Firmware was latest v2.7.
I am using a genuine Transcend 16gb class 10 card. It works OK.
Concerning GPS issue. First time GPS can not lock 3 minutes.
And then, it locks about from 10 sec to 60 sec
cheers for that, will try emailing them direct

yes, which firmware should I be using on the GT680w. Currently it has been delivered with V2.5G, however V2.2G seems to have more languages contained which leads me to believe it is more up to date. Is a new firmware installation likely to resolve problems I am having with the unit freezing?
Also as a suggestion towards a firmware update, is it possible to include an option for MPH (miles per hour) as well as KPH.
Lastly, I will be using this camera in a number of trucks (2 each night), I am sure others move their camera between vehicles, is it possible for the manufacturer to develop a gps module/mount similar to this
or
I had already modified my gs8000 mount in a similar fashion, but cannot see a way of doing it with the module supplied with the GT680W.

cheers
Re Freezing issue and GPS not locking on issue,
Foxoffer contacted me and told me to install firmware V2.2G (which is apparently more up to date than V2.5G ummm!), format the memory card in the GT680W to sort problem.
Did as asked, unit recorded 6m 23s and froze, gps did not lock on, this is rapidly seeming like a big waste of money, at the moment I would definitely not recommend this unit to anyone, wait for Jokiins unit to become available - I believe quality control will be much better.

Back