Shadow RX300

That's great news abishek. Good luck with your new dash cam. Is GPS module treating you well?

We need Firmware updates, downloads page...

Yes luckily the GPS module is working first thing i checked when i got it.
Unfortunately won't be able to fix it until i take my car to the service center to draw the wire up to the B pillar and the roof liner.

Oddly after reading up so much on dash cams , now i'll have nothing further to do after fixing it.

You know the only firmware downloads page is your signature quorthonrhar.
thank you

You know the only firmware downloads page is your signature quorthonrhar.
thank you

Yes, I am trying to keep up with updates. Once I receive other versions, I will update my signature. For everybody to access it in case they need it. I see that SeeZeus has no plans to make Firmware update/download page anytime soon.

I've got confirmation Firmware v2.3G for RX300 is the latest firmware ever released (as of today, April 3rd 2014).

Versions 3.4G and 3.7G are exactly the same as 2.3G, except those two are for other markets, therefore they have different numbering convention.

I'm about to purchase my third dashcam. Haven't yet got my RX300, so far it looks like it was sent to Czech instead of Sweden, according to the tracking, so I’m still waiting.
Is it still a good choice to purchase another RX300 or do we have a better choice?

I actually got my RX300-GPS with a 32 GB microSD from Foxoffer today. It looks like i got wrong trackingnumber, so the one that ended up in CZ, most probably should be there. Unfortunately I had to pay customs tax & sales tax + administrative fee. So i had to pay $24 for that.

Just have unpacked it & out of the box it looks really nice & of good build quality. f/w 2.3G

Can some one please give me information about the GPS-module Blue & Red status LEDs & what their different blinking means? Coulden't find any instructions about that.

First the blue & red LED started to blink fast, after a few minutes both still are blinking but slower. The GPS-satellite symbol also is blinking on the display.

I have a 2.3G model w/gps running for almost a month. So far I find it regularly locks up in parking mode after only a short time. What's weird is it seems to lock up at the same time from the beginning of a loop. Something like 0:12 seconds is where it will lock up. I can stop and start the recording okay, it's not like the entire camera is locked up. Parking mode is nearly useless if I have to manually enable and disable it every single time. It has a damn gps and motion sensor, you'd think it can enter and exit parking mode on it's own.

Lately it's been randomly locking up in regular loop recording so that's pretty scary. I just noticed that the last 5 days went totally unrecorded. (It also seems to have entered parking mode on it's own at lest once.. so maybe it's related.) I am using 64 gb memory cards so I will have to put in a 32 and others to see if the problems continue.

Another bug I noticed is the gps screen saver is flaky. If I have 5 minute screen saver and 3 minute gps screen saver, it eventually just goes blank directly and skips the gps screen. The timeouts are not respected. I found that going in and out of parking mode really messes up the screen saver functions. If I could have just a day in the source code this cam would kick so much ass.

After approx. 3-4h I finally got a fix. The GPS-screensaver coordinates are spot on where I am. So tomorow I have to test it in my car. Now it is time for bed, time is PM 11:10 here.

One difference is that the non-brand haven't got any GPS possibility.

I'm not interested in GPS at all, so this would be fine for me. Any internal differences? It's the same CMOS and processor so that's good.

Shadow-Tec RX300 Carbon Fiber Edition :)
WP_20140408_001.jpg

This was just a quick one made of some carbon fiber vinyl left overs I had. But gives a hint...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Seanster - To answer some of your questions...

...Parking mode is nearly useless if I have to manually enable and disable it every single time. It has a damn gps and motion sensor, you'd think it can enter and exit parking mode on it's own..."

Yes, in ideal World and if this firmware is being developed and maintained by someone else but SeeZeus. Parking mode needs to be engaged manually. I'm guessing not all people want to use parking mode, and another thing is... some cars completely cut off power from the lighter plug when car is turned off. You'd have to connect your camera directly to the battery if you want it to keep recording in parking mode for longer than 25-30 minutes... because that's how long it will last on its own battery if unplugged from the car's power.

All that being said, I completely agree with you. It should be automatic switch with an option in firmware to turn it off manually if needed.

...Lately it's been randomly locking up in regular loop recording so that's pretty scary. I just noticed that the last 5 days went totally unrecorded. (It also seems to have entered parking mode on it's own at lest once.. so maybe it's related.) I am using 64 gb memory cards so I will have to put in a 32 and others to see if the problems continue..."

Is your motion sensor turned off? It should be if you're recording while driving. It should be on only when in parking mode, of course if you want motion sensor to be activated... for example, every single time cat jumps on your car, you have evidence little brat scratched your hood :)
I am not sure about 64 GB SD cards, 32 GB maximum is recommended, Class 6 and above. Since price difference is insignificant, Class 10 is the best choice. At CanadaComputers or TigerDirect you can get high quality Kingston cards for $15-$24, depending on the sale deal.

...Another bug I noticed is the gps screen saver is flaky. If I have 5 minute screen saver and 3 minute gps screen saver, it eventually just goes blank directly and skips the gps screen. The timeouts are not respected. I found that going in and out of parking mode really messes up the screen saver functions...

GPS screensaver works fine on my end, except the situations when it's constantly showing North regardless of where you're actually heading. Correct GPS data and compass are still being saved properly (another forum member and I double-checked it) even when GPS screensaver is not showing correct info. It's just screensaver is buggy, camera still functions perfectly fine. Simple reset, clears screensaver problem though... until it starts up acting again. Everything else on my end works fine.

...If I could have just a day in the source code this cam would kick so much ass.

You know what? I've been waiting for someone with this idea. Since programming is not my stronger side (I did simple, super basic things in assembler), I'd be happy if there is anyone ready to take a challenge and start developing some custom firmware. SeeZeus is not doing a s*** to make customers happy. We all paid our money, and regardless of how cheap these cameras can sound, we paid them with hard earned money. There is no simple firmware update/download/info page on SeeZeus. They never announce when there is new firmware update and what new it brings, what's fixed etc. This is really sad. Custom firmware would make this dash cam one of the best out there. Since the day one with it, I have never had a single problem with it, except for that GPS screensaver, but now I keep it off anyway, so it does not bug me at all. But sure, it would be great if someone could start working on custom one. On my end, all I have are these 2 BIN firmware files in my signature. I am not sure these can be de-compiled somehow... but one thing I am sure, SeeZeus would never let us get our hands on the original code.

Shadow-Tec RX300 Carbon Fiber Edition :)

This was just a quick one made of some carbon fiber vinyl left overs I had. But gives a hint...

Do you have any templates for this left to share , like which can be scanned on A4 paper and emailed to be used to cut out.

What's the difference between the non-branded version and the original?

Original: http://www.foxoffer.com/shadow-tec-seezeus-rx300-car-dvr-with-wdr-support-gps-logger-p-634.html
Non-branded: http://www.foxoffer.com/nonbrand-rx300-full-hd-1080p-car-dvr-wdr-p-658.html

It's a good bit cheaper so I was wondering if there's a major difference aside from asthetics.

I ordered the non-branded version and am waiting for mine to get here. After I ordered, I was told that they only had a gold front version and black wasn't available. I figured that as long as it works, I can paint it myself, so I said ok for the savings. I'll try to post some exploratory pictures when it gets here.

I'm not interested in GPS at all, so this would be fine for me. Any internal differences? It's the same CMOS and processor so that's good.
Well, considering how low price of GPS modules really is (as low as $15), you should be interested in having it. It is quite useful and it provides you (or the judge if you end up in court) with very important information about speed you were travelling at, exact location (latitude, longitude), gives you beautiful graphical representation and animated tour of your trip. Some of those information instantly took me out of the truouble when taxi driver blatantly started lying about me rear ending his cab. Plus it wasn't even rear ending, he was on the cell phone not paying attention to the blockage in front of him in his lanes, so literally last second he swearved with his right side into the left side of my van, to avoid crashing into them... But he caused damage in my lane. I presented all the information to my insurance adjuster and they were amazed how detailed everything was. Taxi driver obviously lied, and they charged him with careless driving, not keeping the safe distance, not signaling when changing lanes and what's even worse, using a cell phone while driving. That is very big traffic offence here in Ontario. Plus, my GPS info proved he travelled at higher speed than allowed at that portion of the highway, since I was little bit under the limit, and he flew by me like he had rockets built in. After checking his phone call records, time stamp on my video also proved he was on his cell phone using it at the time accident happened. Huge offense here in this province. He was charged as 100% at fault, insurance repaired my van in next two days. Also police officers at the collision repair centre were amazed with how sharp video footage was, and above all, with all the detailed GPS information provided. Every single one of them working there at the time, gathered around me watching it and asking me intetesting questions. They were trully interested in how's this even possible. Comments from them were unanimous; "...oh, taxi driver there is plain screwed..."

$15 for GPS module, and insignificant difference in price between original RX300 and the non-branded one, is a no-brainer as to which one to go with. Saves you a lot of money in the long run.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying the RX-300. Has anybody purchased one recently? Has the issues from a month ago been resolved? Is it safe to buy one from Foxoffer and get a unit that is problem free?

I'm thinking about buying the RX-300. Has anybody purchased one recently? Has the issues from a month ago been resolved? Is it safe to buy one from Foxoffer and get a unit that is problem free?
What issues? I am not aware of a single RX300 issue. Some people had problems with their GPS modules, but that's for sure not RX300 specific problem. GT680W had even more trouble with its GPS module.
I purchased mine from Foxoffer and as I said I've never experienced a single issue. My camera already saved me and I love how stable it is. I turn my van on, and I am sure camera will capture every single second of my ride.

Back