Should WDR make objects high in saturation?

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
I have enabled WDR on my camera and noticed that objects are very deep in saturation, is this a feature of this technology?

Because of how WDR works, it will affect the saturation, especially in the very bright and very dark areas which have less saturation accuracy.

The camera should try to keep the result accurate for both settings, but I don't think Viofo try very hard to get accuracy, they try to make it look good, which means different things to different people. Having different results in the two settings gives people a choice.

Generally I don't recommend using WDR on Viofo cameras, it just gives a different "exposure" setting, which you can choose if you like it, but WDR off normally records slightly better detail. In reality, WDR Off is still using WDR, just less of it. On other cameras WDR on can be the better setting.

For me WDR on at day time and WDR off at night time giving better results. I am using Viofo A129 Plus cam. CPL+WDR on at night time especially in dark areas resulting in high visible noise and even banding. So, I tried WDR off and to my surprise it's a drastic change in quality. Almost no visble noise unless we explicitely try to figure out. Deep black nights with no glare of lights. But, day time videos are not as bright as for my liking with WDR off. So, I am manually toggling WDR on/off at day and night times.

Back