Which one should I choose?

PykeOPATHIC

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi Guys,

I know it's silly to have these two installed at the same time. But I'm quite torn between these two. I'm not sure which to keep.

I love the video quality of the A229 Pro 3ch but I also love the coverage of the 4 channel cameras of the N5.

I hope there won't be any bashing or rudeness, guys. I already know it's ridiculous to have these two at the same time. I'm just asking which you'd rather keep if you were in my situation and why. Thanks.

1708081166809.png

I know the specs are different, but is there that much real world difference between the two?

I know the specs are different, but is there that much real world difference between the two?
The video quality of the front and rear cameras are worlds apart. But the rear cabin camera of the N5 is what's holding me back from ditching it.

Get a Viofo A119 for the rear and use the A229 rear as a rear cabin camera...

I know it's silly to have these two installed at the same time....I'm just asking which you'd rather keep if you were in my situation and why. Thanks.
Not silly at all. Those of us with backgrounds in technology recognize the value of redundancy or having backup systems. If you're comfortable with the downsides of having both installed (cost, installation complexity/messiness, etc.) just keep both and don't fret about it.

Not silly at all. Those of us with backgrounds in technology recognize the value of redundancy or having backup systems. If you're comfortable with the downsides of having both installed (cost, installation complexity/messiness, etc.) just keep both and don't fret about it.
Thanks a lot for the insight.. I really appreciate it.

I know it's silly to have these two installed at the same time.
Not silly at all, I applaud your effort to experiment, so you can see what is best.
I agree with @Nigel and @DT MI
One of the issues of the A229 Pro is the lack of optional CPL Filter for the REAR camera.
For that reason I swivel it 180° to show the passenger compartment, and use an A119 Mini 2 to shoot out the back window with CPL Filter installed.

A229 Pro REAR .png
A119 Mini .png

Here’s all the other POV’s in action;

Not silly at all, I applaud your effort to experiment, so you can see what is best.
I agree with @Nigel and @DT MI
One of the issues of the A229 Pro is the lack of optional CPL Filter for the REAR camera.
For that reason I swivel it 180° to show the passenger compartment, and use an A119 Mini 2 to shoot out the back window with CPL Filter installed.

View attachment 70820
View attachment 70821

Here’s all the other POV’s in action;

Very nice. Thank you. I have a question though. I can see in one of the photos that you have several dash cams installed. So far no issues with the alternator having to provide this much power to all dash cams?

I can see in one of the photos that you have several dash cams installed. So far no issues with the alternator having to provide this much power to all dash cams?
The “average” power consumption of Viofo dash cams is 3-10 Watts.
3 Watts = 1-CH (A119 Mini 2) (VS1) (WM1)
10 Watts = 3-CH (A139 Pro) (A229 Pro)

Imagine a family of 4, (mom, dad, 2 kids).
Each occupant is charging their cell phone using the car’s built in USB power outlets.
Most cell phones charge at 5 Watts, (or more if fast charge capable).
That’s a minimum of 20 Watts.

Or better yet, a dash cam battery pack draws 10-14 Amps in “high” mode.
10 Amps x 14 Volts = 140 Watts

The “average” power consumption of Viofo dash cams is 3-10 Watts.
3 Watts = 1-CH (A119 Mini 2) (VS1) (WM1)
10 Watts = 3-CH (A139 Pro) (A229 Pro)

Imagine a family of 4, (mom, dad, 2 kids).
Each occupant is charging their cell phone using the car’s built in USB power outlets.
Most cell phones charge at 5 Watts, (or more if fast charge capable).
That’s a minimum of 20 Watts.

Thanks. I saw that you leave all of them in parking mode, which leads me to my next question. Do you use an external battery pack? If you do, which one do you use?

If you are going to have an alternator problem, it will be recharging the battery pack(s) that does it. Not sure how many people do have alternator issues due to recharging, I don't think the problems get reported here because people don't realise that recharging battery packs does take a toll on alternator lifetime and alternator brush lifetime.

If you are going to have an alternator problem, it will be recharging the battery pack(s) that does it. Not sure how many people do have alternator issues due to recharging, I don't think the problems get reported here because people don't realise that recharging battery packs does take a toll on alternator lifetime and alternator brush lifetime.
That's what I think too. Additional accessories make the alternator work harder.

I saw that you leave all of them in parking mode
Just between you, me, and the fence post I dislike parking mode.
Parking mode is the number 1 cause of;
Recording malfunctions
Tech support inquiry
Consumer dissatisfaction
New DCT membership (lol)
I wish Viofo would remove parking mode form all dash cams, and simply “force” consumers to operate the camera in Normal Recording Mode when the vehicle is left unattended, (but of course that will never happen).
The footage you saw was normal recording mode.

Just between you, me, and the fence post I dislike parking mode.
Parking mode is the number 1 cause of;
Recording malfunctions
Tech support inquiry
Consumer dissatisfaction
New DCT membership (lol)
I wish Viofo would remove parking mode form all dash cams, and simply “force” consumers to operate the camera in Normal Recording Mode when the vehicle is left unattended, (but of course that will never happen).
The footage you saw was normal recording mode.
This makes a lot of sense. Just like a conventional CCTV, right? So you use an external battery?

I wish Viofo would remove parking mode form all dash cams, and simply “force” consumers to operate the camera in Normal Recording Mode when the vehicle is left unattended,
That would not be good, the cameras will then be recording at full bitrate, full resolution, full framerate and full channel count, and will overheat very fast on hot summer days!

What is needed is to switch to a separate low power consumption parking mode image sensor that uses FHD resolution, 15fps, 4Mb/s bitrate and 1 channel, unless extra channels are triggered by g-sensor or radar. Then you can have parking mode with only 0.5W power consumption, and very long battery life.

The cigarette plug that comes with A229 pro has two 5V 2.4A USB outlets, so you could very well use that to power 2 separate camera setups.

Back