Side camera experimenting

I store my batteries in my oven as i dont use it for cooking, thats the most fireproof place i have.
And i charge my batteries ( even the 18650 ones ) in my living room window so i can quickly evacuate them out the window, i also only charge when i am in the room, though i dont mind going to the toilet or take a bath meanwhile.

And i am keeping a eye on the 26650 battery thats in my car flashlight, but so far it have not swelled 0.1 mm as that would mean it would be problematic to get the battery out of the tube as it fit pretty snug.

Actually talking to my friend that was into RC way before lipo batteries he said he seen far more nimh batteries explode than lipo batteries, and he is the one of us thats no good with lipos, i never had one go bad on me like flames and smoke, only a few swell up and so loose performance.
My friend also often had to take a nimh cell out of his batteries to replace it with a new one.

I think the worst experiences I've ever had with batteries was when alkalines have leaked and ruined whatever expensive gadget (usually radios and flashlights) they were installed in. :(

Alkalines have come a long way and improved a lot so they don't leak like they used to but I hardly use them anymore except in certain devices where they are under a constant small load (like clocks) which prevents them from ever leaking.

At the end of the day, the risk is small but higher than with other battery types...
More people die from Lead Acid battery explosions...

More people die from Lead Acid battery explosions...

Nigel, I somehow doubt that. It does happen but in the last 10 years I've not heard a single news report of someone being killed by a lead acid battery in normal use. By contrast, there have been several deaths this year from LiPo fires.

I deliberately avoided answering Dashmallow above so as to prevent this diversion from the main topic being ongoing, but on the subject of swelling batteries, 5.32 of this RISC Authority handbook says any swelling battery should be removed from the premises immediately to a safe area:

file:///F:/Downloads/RC61%20(1).pdf

I'm not trying to sensationalise this, nor point a finger at any manufacturers using these, as there's a small proportion of incidents. However, it's significant enough that people should be aware of it and be careful in the handling and use of these batteries, and again the advice is care should be taken using them in hot or cold environments and outside of certain charge levels. Given that 3rd party parking backup batteries potentially get direct sunlight onto the battery casing, I would imagine these are higher risk than well tested OEM camera batteries that are at least shielded by the camera casing from direct light.

Anyone using or tried using a B1W as a side camera in a hatchback?

Nigel, I somehow doubt that. It does happen but in the last 10 years I've not heard a single news report of someone being killed by a lead acid battery in normal use. By contrast, there have been several deaths this year from LiPo fires.
Hard to find good statistics on this!

Due to the date we can assume these were all lead acid:
During the 1-year period October 1, 1993 through September 30, 1994, data from 134 cases of injuries associated with motor vehicle batteries were obtained from the NEISS. Based upon these 134 cases, an estimated 7,051 persons were treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries resulting from an activity involving motor vehicle batteries nationwide during the 12-month study period. The types of injuries sustained can be described by five general categories: battery explosions, chemical burns and/or contamination resulting from contact with battery acid, muscle strains and/or crush-type injuries associated with lifting or dropping the battery, and electrical shock from contacting the battery cables and/or posts. Persons injured as a result of battery explosions, the type of injury of particular interest to NHSTA, comprised the largest of the five general categories. An estimated 2,280 persons (32% of 7,051 motor vehicle battery injuries) were injured as a direct result of a motor vehicle battery explosion.
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9808/rm980801.htm

Easier to find lithium deaths, but maybe they are more newsworthy...

Seems that E-Smoking can seriously damage your health:
A US man died when a vape pen blew up and projected fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination has found.
Tallmadge D'Elia also suffered burns over 80% of his body in a fire on 5 May caused by the exploding e-cigarette, according to forensic officials.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44149281

As can talking on a phone:
A teenager has died after her phone exploded as she was talking to a relative.
The 18-year-old’s phone is said to have suddenly exploded as she plugged it in to charge during the conversation. Uma, who was knocked unconscious and suffered injuries to her hand, leg and chest, was taken to a local hospital, where she died.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/19/teenager-18-killed-smartphone-explosion-talking-7400361/

There is danger in improper care, use, and handling of all types of batteries. And while I don't doubt the lead-acid data, it's hard to see how 134 incidents caused 7000+ plus injuries. It seems to me that someone has rather distorted the statistics to prove their point and in doing so they have made their message unbelievable.

The vast majority of car battery explosions I've heard of have happened while charging them or while performing a jump-start, and in every case a most important safety rule was violated: you must always fan away any hydrogen gasses which may have accumulated around the battery before doing anything else. You don't even pull the caps to check the electrolyte level without doing this. And you never do anything which creates a spark near the battery. That's why you make the last connection when jumping on the good car's frame or engine away from the battery. These are not accidents, they are acts of stupidity and those who did them along with whoever else they harmed skew the statistics so as to make the results meaningless if your aim is to determine how safe these things are.

You get the same thing when Cops report alcohol-related incidents just because someone had drank one beer or there were old beer cans found in a car. Around here they make the claim if they find a beer can on the ground at an accident scene, using the excuse that they then can't know if someone involved had been drinking it or not so they must presume that they have. These kinds of people are doing everything they can to prove their point of view rather than trying to find the actual truth instead.

I've been a gearhead my whole life. I've known at least 100 career mechanics. I've been keenly interested in batteries of all kinds and studied about them for well over 40 years. And of all this, I've heard of less than ten car batteries exploding personally, with maybe the same number of secondhand reports. I'd venture a rough guess that the true number in percentages would be one explosion per one hundred thousand batteries, with most of those not really being accidental in nature. How many car batteries will the average person have in their lifetime- ten? Twenty? I'd say that in all truth and fairness car batteries are less likely to cause you injury than you getting a large fish dropped on your head by a seagull while you are in the middle of the Sahara desert.

If you're stupid and reckless while handling things with the potential to harm you then the odds of one particular thing don't matter- you'll prove Darwin right somehow for sure.

Phil

you might want to give us your IP address and setup a port forward in your router so we can get to your F:/ drive and check that out :D

or maybe update the link :p

Ha ha. Sorry I missed that one! Stupid Vivaldi opened the locally downloaded file instead of the one linked in the web address again (well I suppose it's smart in a way - saves bandwidth, but personally I prefer programs that are predicatable!)

https://www.riscauthority.co.uk/utilities/download.html?fid=27FA1E34-E2DF-41A7-90BB89D6A09EA1B6

There is danger in improper care, use, and handling of all types of batteries. And while I don't doubt the lead-acid data, it's hard to see how 134 incidents caused 7000+ plus injuries. It seems to me that someone has rather distorted the statistics to prove their point and in doing so they have made their message unbelievable.

The vast majority of car battery explosions I've heard of have happened while charging them or while performing a jump-start, and in every case a most important safety rule was violated: you must always fan away any hydrogen gasses which may have accumulated around the battery before doing anything else. You don't even pull the caps to check the electrolyte level without doing this. And you never do anything which creates a spark near the battery. That's why you make the last connection when jumping on the good car's frame or engine away from the battery. These are not accidents, they are acts of stupidity and those who did them along with whoever else they harmed skew the statistics so as to make the results meaningless if your aim is to determine how safe these things are.

You get the same thing when Cops report alcohol-related incidents just because someone had drank one beer or there were old beer cans found in a car. Around here they make the claim if they find a beer can on the ground at an accident scene, using the excuse that they then can't know if someone involved had been drinking it or not so they must presume that they have. These kinds of people are doing everything they can to prove their point of view rather than trying to find the actual truth instead.

I've been a gearhead my whole life. I've known at least 100 career mechanics. I've been keenly interested in batteries of all kinds and studied about them for well over 40 years. And of all this, I've heard of less than ten car batteries exploding personally, with maybe the same number of secondhand reports. I'd venture a rough guess that the true number in percentages would be one explosion per one hundred thousand batteries, with most of those not really being accidental in nature. How many car batteries will the average person have in their lifetime- ten? Twenty? I'd say that in all truth and fairness car batteries are less likely to cause you injury than you getting a large fish dropped on your head by a seagull while you are in the middle of the Sahara desert.

If you're stupid and reckless while handling things with the potential to harm you then the odds of one particular thing don't matter- you'll prove Darwin right somehow for sure.

Phil
Not much point fanning a modern lead acid battery since they don't give off hydrogen gas unless there is something very wrong!

The AGM ones Absorb the Gas into Matting between the plates, and the maintenance free ones store the gas in the top of the battery and dissolved in the electrolyte, these days most explosions are triggered by poor contacts inside the battery causing sparks that ignite the gas inside, the battery then goes off like a grenade sending plastic shrapnel and acid spray out at high speed, often causing serious eye injuries. Before maintenance free batteries, the gas used to collect externally and then fanning worked.

Anyone using or tried using a B1W as a side camera in a hatchback?
What particular aspect of a hatchback are you interested in? Do you mean a car with no fixed-glass side windows? My car is like an elongated hatchback - however I have B1W side cameras in the fixed side windows at the rear behind the doors.

What particular aspect of a hatchback are you interested in? Do you mean a car with no fixed-glass side windows? My car is like an elongated hatchback - however I have B1W side cameras in the fixed side windows at the rear behind the doors.

Interested in seeing how it looks mounted looking out the rear door window.

Have seen your install pics. I could get an idea by using my defunct 0805 but I remember trying it in the past and it looked really out of place.

As the extension rings for the telephoto lenses are still in transit, if I'm able to install it in a discreet manner, going to try the A129's rear camera as a side cam.

I deliberately avoided answering Dashmallow above so as to prevent this diversion from the main topic being ongoing, but on the subject of swelling batteries, 5.32 of this RISC Authority handbook says any swelling battery should be removed from the premises immediately to a safe area:

file:///F:/Downloads/RC61%20(1).pdf

I'm not trying to sensationalise this, nor point a finger at any manufacturers using these, as there's a small proportion of incidents. However, it's significant enough that people should be aware of it and be careful in the handling and use of these batteries, and again the advice is care should be taken using them in hot or cold environments and outside of certain charge levels. Given that 3rd party parking backup batteries potentially get direct sunlight onto the battery casing, I would imagine these are higher risk than well tested OEM camera batteries that are at least shielded by the camera casing from direct light.

Nobody, especially me is disputing the need for caution and common sense in the use of lithium batteries. If you'd been paying any attention I've been bringing this to people's attention here on this forum literally for years, especially in regard to responsible battery management and charging techniques. In fact, there are numerous lengthy discussions on battery safety in the Batteries & Capacitors forum, so I question why you feel the need to completely derail the side camera discussion in this thread claiming that, "this was too important not to mention." It's kind of selfish I think but I guess you must see yourself as a some sort of civic minded public servant and boyscout. And as usual you're handing out advice on something you have no personal hands-on experience with unlike the many of us who have actually been using power banks for quite some time.

What I take issue with is your alarmist hysteria about racing out of your house with a li-po battery pack that may have swelled a bit, recommending that people shouldn't even store lithium batteries in their houses or that, "there isn't a safe battery method" for using power banks to run dash cams in parked automobiles.

There are literally millions of lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries in service used by millions of people in all kinds of products and in all kinds of situations, including automobiles. People leave smartphones, laptops, battery banks and indeed battery powered dash cams in their cars all the time. Whether that is a wise thing to do or not it happens all the time and the reports of fires or explosions are rare. Personally, when I began using power banks four and a half years ago I was extremely paranoid about them but as I gained experience with them I also gained confidence in their reliability. The main ingredient required is simple common sense.

Despite your claim that you are, "not trying to sensationalise this" (sic) the fact is that you are doing exactly that! When you post sensationalist YouTube videos featuring spectacular footage of exploding battery packs with heart pounding dramatic music playing in the background, what else can one call it?

And the video starts out specifically stating that the exploding battery pack was DAMAGED and brought in with a drone for servicing such that the repair personnel had no clue about the history of the power pack in question.

Drone battery packs bear virtually no relationship with how we use power banks in our cars, or phones or dash cams or flashlights or smoking vaporizers or any other popular modern gadget that people use and store in millions of homes every single day. Power packs used in drones are regularly pushed to their max during use, both with repeated cycles of fast charging and hard discharging. At the same time, perhaps more than in any other usage scenario they are subjected to constant vibrations and strong shocks which tends to dramatically increase the likelihood of an internal short circuit and eventual thermal runaway.

So, to sum up, the issue isn't proper common sense lithium battery handling, it's your hysteria and alarmism.

ifdamaged.jpg

earlier.jpg

The folks publishing the video had no idea regarding what may be happened to the battery or drone before it was handed over to them,
except that they knew it was damaged. So the video tells us nothing useful about battery safety or the propensity of lithium packs to catch fire, it's merely senational YouTube click bait.

Last edited:
In a battery powered galaxy far - far away :)

Yes lipo batteries tend to last one 4 year term, what happen after that is the other people now in charge problem.
4 years of operation seem to be a okay lifespan for death-stars.

Yes lipo batteries tend to last one 4 year term, what happen after that is the other people now in charge problem.
4 years of operation seem to be a okay lifespan for death-stars.

Actually, my oldest power bank is now exactly four and one half years old and it still has a surprising amount of life left in it. (maybe one quarter to one third of it's original capacity, enough to run cams for many hours) But here is where the "common sense" I mentioned previously comes into play. I took it out of service in my vehicle for running dash cams because if ever there might be a problem with a power bank in an automobile it seems a four plus year old one might be subject to a mishap what with the build-up of dendrites and lithium-metal that inevitably occurs in these devices regardless of how well you care for them. For the summer months I'm running a 20,000 mAh lithium-polymer celled power bank and the TQKA LiFePO4 bank. Come winter I'll probably switch back to using at least one of my 18650 powered banks.

EDIT: As for lithium batteries eventually becoming someone else's problem our local waste management facility accepts any type of battery for recycling so at least there is an environmentally friendly way to dispose of them.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mobius Maxi 7
J Mobius Maxi 5
Back