Thank you for the full reply and steps you're taking. Speaking for myself as an average consumer these steps are appreciated. :)

We are changing things one step at a time. Still a lot to improve on. You guys here are also helping a lot.

We will contact our resellers and ask them to update their descriptions. 90% of the larger b2c sites order directly from us. There are still some that buy from the market so it is very hard to get in contact with the person in charge of listings. This goes for ebay and amazon sellers but we will try our best to contact as many resellers as we can.

I just received my SJ7 Star tester - many thanks to SJCam. First question: How do I get the battery compartment door open? It should slide over then pop up, right? I can't get mine to slide. Is the little black thingy supposed to press down or slide to unlock or is it just a catch for your fingernail? Mine doesn't move. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Yeah terry the lid should just slide to the left if you hold it with the LCD facing towards yourself.
The little black indentation is just there to your nail can get a grip, my battery door move pretty easy and i have not had the battery in and out of there since i got the camera from SJcams.

Yeah terry the lid should just slide to the left if you hold it with the LCD facing towards yourself.
The little black indentation is just there to your nail can get a grip, my battery door move pretty easy and i have not had the battery in and out of there since i got the camera from SJcams.
Thanks kamkar1. I figured it should slide like you said but mine's just plain stuck! :(

And the battery is not in there ?

On the battery there is a little paper or plastic flap making it more easy to remove, if the battery was in there that might be the culprit.

I assume there is nothing more to do but try a little more force, here is a photo of how the mechanism look on the inside.
IMG_20170324_131209[1].jpg

And just for you my friend a bonus video :)

As you can see mine slide fine, not unpleasant on the fingernail as similar things can be on other gadgets at times.

PS. I just noticed that if you press down a little on the middle of the battery compartment door while you pull with the nail it do feel like the action is even smoother, so give that a go too.
Actually i also just found that i can just press down on the flap with my finger and then slide the lid to the left, so it slide smooth on my SJ7 as i have extremely dry skin so if it was stuck my finger would just slide over the battery door.

Just took a couple more of pictures.
IMG_20170324_133940[1].jpg

IMG_20170324_134024[1].jpg

As you can see by the pictures the notch and the hole it lock into is right at the corner of the housing / end of the camera door.
And then there is the metal part of the lid that i assume is there to do the locking part and provide a rest for the spring loaded lid.
I assume as long as you pull left then you should be able to put a good deal of force into the deal without ruining everything, but off course there is also way too much force, so you will just have to increase the force a little time after time as you get more and more anxious to get out there and shoot some video with the cool little SJ7.

The middle part of the metal on the lid i can now see is what lock the mechanism, as you slide the lid close the end of the middle part between the 2 slits in the metal slide into a little grove in the battery door, and so lock in place.

But that locking part of the door do have a nice little bend on it, so it should slide effortless in and out of that locking grove in the plastic door lid. ( you can see the bend in that locking pice of the metal on the top pic, and also the grove in the plastic lid it lock into to keep it closed )

Studying the mechanism and how it work i have not been able to see how you should be able to "pick" the lock.
If you are experiencing a malfunction i think it might be due to that locking part of the mechanism either not being bend enough, or it "dive" too deep into that grove in the plastic lid and so what should make it disengage when you want to open the door cant engage and do so.

Wow kamkar1! Thanks very much for the help. Pressing down in the middle while using my thumbnail to hook onto the black nail slot to slide it out did the trick. I then opened and closed the door several times and now it's much better. It still requires some force and it's not especially smooth but at least it woks. Thanks again. :)

Next dumb question: Is there a one-button toggle on/off for WiFi? I know I can go into the menu to turn it on but with my other action cams, none with a touch screen, I can always touch a button to turn WiFi on/off. Is there a way to do that with the SJ7?:confused:

Well yes a screen button, if you swipe down on the screen, that bring op some options, wifi on/off being one of them, if wifi is on there is a green icon on the display and the green LED on the front of the camera also flash when wifi is on.

I think if you have had wifi on when you turn off the SJ7 it will launch automatic on the next boot.

O and i just found out, if you long press the menu button that will also turn on/off the wifi.
I guess you live and learn every day, i use to just swipe up or down on the screen.

Yes, swiping down on the screen and pressing the WiFi icon worked, and yes, if it was on when you turned off the camera it turns on automatically when you turn it on again. Thank you once again kamkar1.:)

EDIT: Now if I could only get the Android app to work. iOS app works fine.

For me the android app was flaky the first time i tried it, so i just put it down for a few hours, and after that it have been working good for me.

I do think a little bit of badness have sneaked in lately, i some times have to exit the app and then crank it up again.

Do you have access to the private SJcam subforum in here ? if not you better PM them and get added, ATM we are beating on the 1.0.9 firmware ( if my memory serve me right )
The SJcam FW people are working hard, we already sen a slew of unofficial and a official FW, and at least one APP update.

Dunno about IOS i have only lately touched a apple devise for the first time, and that was just snapping a picture of my sister and her kids with one of the girls phone ( sadly both girls are fruit company fanboys )

O BTW have you Dled the right app ? sj have a few of them in the store for their vast range of cameras, the right app should have a guide to how you use it with the new cameras build in.

Last edited:
I'm assuming I've downloaded the right apps because the camera and my phone both indicate they're connected, I get the start screen on the app but then it just sits there with the little wheel turning at the bottom. It's trying to make something happen but nothing ever does.

I think perhaps the firmware is the problem. My camera only has version 1.05 so I'm four updates behind! I've PMed SJCam a couple of times but no response yet so I don't have access to testers' forum.

As always, thanks for the help kamkar1.:)

Okay if they connect then i think you have the right one, i do think the icons for the apps are different, the one i use look like a little white camera that say SJCAM on it.

Maybe try to reboot your phone/tablet ? i think at first i used my lollipop tablet as i had not gotten my new phone at that time.
It might be i rebooted my tablet to get going again back then,,,, okay now that i think this was also with the SJ6 camera as i got that first from SJcams.

1.0.5 should also work fine, i cant say at any time we had any major problems with the app and camera, aside for the issue i mentioned to get going, the wifi always connected perfect here, i have not been used to that with the x camera that have always had a attitude in that regard.

Anyways rest assured we will get you up and going soon :)

So now i will take the few good karma points i have earned here and put them in the bank :cool: if there is anything just hit me up with a highlight or a PM.

Maybe throw in a reset to default on the camera.

are you using from your tablet or your phone?
Using Samsung Galaxy S4. I checked to see if the problem might be with my phone so I tried my SJ4000 with the original app and also tried my Elephone Explorer Pro and its app. Both worked fine.

EDIT: Also tried what kamkar1 suggested about turning it off, leaving it for a while and trying again but the problem happened a few times over a two day period.

I'm sure they connected because when I originally got the camera it was set to the default date, 2016 something. When I connected with the phone the date was updated to current even though the app didn't work.

Once I got the battery door open I removed the battery, waited a few minutes and tried the app again. I'm not sure if that potentially makes any difference but in fact it didn't.

The iOS app has worked all along.

I really wonder if it could be the 1.05 version firmware.

are you using from your tablet or your phone?

First with the Sj6 i was on the tablet as my phone had not arrived yet ( lollipop )
But it was just a short and weird hiccup, cuz after that the 2 parts ran slick as snot on a door knob, and so did the Sj7 when i received it a little later.

With the latest app i some times have to exit the app and then launch it again to be able to connect to the camera ( wifi connect just fine )
But off course now i am using my android 6.0 phone, i think maybe for my next outing i should bring the tablet to see if it behave the same, or just do some static testing at home on the computer table.

But at first and on the tablet and after the first hiccup, then every time i used wifi i was like ???? DUDE this is how wifi should be, cuz as soon as i turned on the camera the tablet ditched my home wifi and connected to the camera at once, and that is not what have been the order of the day with the X camera where i often have to go into wifi as the camera sit there not connected and then i have to press connect, and only then do it do so.

First with the Sj6 i was on the tablet as my phone had not arrived yet ( lollipop )
But it was just a short and weird hiccup, cuz after that the 2 parts ran slick as snot on a door knob, and so did the Sj7 when i received it a little later.

With the latest app i some times have to exit the app and then launch it again to be able to connect to the camera ( wifi connect just fine )
But off course now i am using my android 6.0 phone, i think maybe for my next outing i should bring the tablet to see if it behave the same, or just do some static testing at home on the computer table.

But at first and on the tablet and after the first hiccup, then every time i used wifi i was like ???? DUDE this is how wifi should be, cuz as soon as i turned on the camera the tablet ditched my home wifi and connected to the camera at once, and that is not what have been the order of the day with the X camera where i often have to go into wifi as the camera sit there not connected and then i have to press connect, and only then do it do so.
I've heard people sing the praises of SJCam WiFi and apps and certainly my SJ4000 works fine.

". . . slick as snot on a door knob . . ." OMG I never heard that one before!:)

Back