you can connect more things to the Sj7 at one time, here to prove both my tablet and phone is connected to the camera.

you can connect more things to the Sj7 at one time, here to prove both my tablet and phone is connected to the camera.
That is freaky! I too would not have thought it was possible. Can you actually operate the camera with both devices at the same time? For example, can you start recording with one device then stop with the other? If you bring up a menu on one device does it also show up on the other? Now the next test: What happens if you get a call on the phone? Can you answer it without losing the phone's WiFi connection? What happens to the tablet while you're on the phone?

I mean, when would I ever need to connect a phone and a tablet at the same time and then just happen to get a phone call? It's interesting though!:)

I dident try to start a recording on one devise and then stop it on the other, i also noticed that when the recording was going the record timer only run on the devise where i started the recording.

Regarding calls that a minor problem, i only get like 4 every week cuz my one friend and my small immediate family all know not to call me unless it is important.
I really dislike phones or at least the ones you carry around, only have one now so my old mother can get a hold of me.
When she is gone i will either throw the phone away or at least stop carrying it around.

For sure i will do a little experimenting on this tonight

I still can't get the app to work with my Android phone but I tried receiving a call while using my Dazzne P2 Plus and it's app. I connected phone and camera, started recording, answered the phone, had a 10 second conversation, ended the call and pressed the back button on the phone. The app came up and it was still recording so it's indeed possible. Whether this works with SJ7 Android or iOS apps I don't know.:)

We just tested and it turns out that you can connect two devices but only one can control the unit and when you press something, the wifi on the the 2nd device drops.

We tried the Dazzne app in the link and we could not connect to the SJ7.

Can you confirm the firmware /app versions you are using?

Last edited:
I'm sure they connected because when I originally got the camera it was set to the default date, 2016 something. When I connected with the phone the date was updated to current even though the app didn't work.

Once I got the battery door open I removed the battery, waited a few minutes and tried the app again. I'm not sure if that potentially makes any difference but in fact it didn't.

The iOS app has worked all along.

I really wonder if it could be the 1.05 version firmware.
Which firmware are you currently on?

We just tested and it turns out that you can connect two devices but only one can control the unit and when you press something, the wifi on the the 2nd device drops.

We tried the Dazzne app in the link and we could not connect to the SJ7.

Can you confirm the firmware /app versions you are using?
Sorry I wasn't clear. My Android phone, using the SJCam app, connects to the SJ7, I get the app start screen, but then nothing happens except the little wheel at the bottom of the screen keeps turning. I'm speculating that it might be because I only have firmware version 1.06. As far as I'm aware that is not the latest version.

Separately, just to verify that it's not a problem with my phone, I decided to check it using my Dazzne P2 Plus camera and the Dazzne app. All worked fine.

Separately again, kamkar1 discovered that you can connect two devices at once to the SJ7. I wondered if you could actually control the camera via WiFi using two devices simultaneously. I also wondered what might happen if you received a call while controlling the SJ7 with your phone. Again, because I'm unable to answer that question using my SJ7 due to the apparent app malfunction, I decided to check it using a different app and camera, specifically the Dazzne. I verified that it's possible to answer a call and return to the app when the call ends, without interrupting recording, using my Dazzne camera and app.

I didn't check, and never intended to check, if it's possible to mix the SJ7 camera and the Dazzne app.

Indeed, it was my hope that SJCam might read between the lines. The SJ7 test camera was sent to me almost a week ago (many thanks SJCam) but since then SJCam hasn't responded to two PMs and a direct e-mail explaining that I don't have access to the latest firmware. It doesn't make sense to send me a test camera with older firmware and then not provide the updates. I'm able to check odds and ends on my SJ7, to pose questions and speculate on the answers but that's about it.

Last edited:
I did not get around to investigate the dual wifi connection yesterday, i hope i will be able to play around with it a little tonight.

Just the fact that you can have 2 preview ( or more i almost assume ) is cool, after all there is mostly just 1 director on a movie set, so that will be the one with the controlling phone/tablet.

Last edited:
I paid for my SJ7 but also would like to help test the new firmware. I've PM'd SJCAM as well and haven't gotten any response to get in the private tester forum so I am still stuck on 1.06 FW. If anyone has the link for the new firmware and would like to share please send me a PM. :) Thanks!

Sjcam official are not on here that often, or that is mostly when it is night / late here in Denmark it seem.

I just submitted two formal Support Tickets at the SJCam website. One asks them to send me the latest SJ7 firmware and the other asks them to verify the latest version of the SJCam Zone Android app (I have version 5.1.2). I wonder what response that will generate.:)

Here is SJCam's response to my support ticket regarding the latest SJ7 firmware:

=============================================================================================================================================

Thank you for contacting SJCAM support.

Follow these steps to install the new firmware v1.0.9:

1. Extract the memory card form your camera.
  2. Format the memory card to FAT32 in your computer. NOTE: If the card is nor formatted to FAT32 the update may not happen.
  3. Copy the firmware file in your card. You can download the new firmware from HERE.
  4. Insert the card into the camera and connect the card into a power supply. If you battery is fully charged, you don't need to connect it to a power supply.
  5. Turn on the camera, go to settings and select Version. The camera will ask you if you want to update the firmware.
  6. Accept and wait until the process finishes.
  7. Turn the camera on again.

Hope this helps!

You can send us your thoughts here.

Best Regards,
Miguel.

SJCAM Support Team

http://sjcamHD.com

http://support.sjcamHD.com

===================================================================================================================

I hope that helps those of you looking for the latest SJ7 firmware. :)

EDIT: I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
Here is SJCam's response to my Support Ticket regarding the latest Android version of the SJCam Zone app for the SJ7.

=====================================================================================================================

Thank you for contacting SJCAM support.

Yes, it is the latest version, you can install it from here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jght.sjcam.zone&hl=en
To connect to the APP please follow the instructions below:

1. Download & Install the SJCAM Zone app.
2. Turn on the camera's WiFi

3. Connect your mobile to the camera's WiFi
4. Open the SJCAM Zone app
5. Select the Camera icon and press the blue button.
Please let me know if it worked.

Best Regards,
Miguel.

SJCAM Support Team

http://sjcamHD.com
http://support.sjcamHD.com

=====================================================================================================================

I hope that helps those of you looking to verify the latest SJCam Zone Android app for your SJ7. :)

I paid for my SJ7 but also would like to help test the new firmware. I've PM'd SJCAM as well and haven't gotten any response to get in the private tester forum so I am still stuck on 1.06 FW. If anyone has the link for the new firmware and would like to share please send me a PM. :) Thanks!

Sjcam official are not on here that often, or that is mostly when it is night / late here in Denmark it seem.

i am getting to PM's.. just back from Cebit Germany......

New A/B firmware versions coming today or tomorrow

. I received 7 PM's for people wanting to join the SJ7 private forums:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/sjcam-private-forum.225/

Access has been granted to you guys.

Thanks for your patience.

SJCO

Yes, swiping down on the screen and pressing the WiFi icon worked, and yes, if it was on when you turned off the camera it turns on automatically when you turn it on again. Thank you once again kamkar1.:)

EDIT: Now if I could only get the Android app to work. iOS app works fine.
Which APP + firmware version are you on?

Which APP + firmware version are you on?
I just installed firmware version 1.09A. The app is version 5.1.2. I just checked the Android app using my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and unfortunately I'm getting the same result. The phone and camera connect and I get the app start screen but nothing more. The little wheel at the bottom of the app screen turns but nothing happens.

Just to make absolutely sure it's not a problem with my phone I checked my SJCam SJ4000, Dazzne P2 Plus and Elephone Explorer Pro with their respective apps. All worked fine.

Is anybody else having this problem with the combination of firmware version 1.09A and Android app version 5.1.2?

Back