Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I have only tried 20130903, 20130923 and the current 20131026 firmwares. So far 20130923 and 20131026 works fine with my Samsung 8GB class 4 cards, 20130903 has caused loop recording error. All three firmwares can cause loop recording error with my Samsung 32GB class 10 card. So basically no point trying other versions of firmware now that you are running 20131026.
And I have a Sandisk 16GB Class 4 card that CrystalDiskMark says the write speed is much less than the Samsung I posted the details on. How does that make sense? Slower is better? If you have time, maybe you could run the test on your Class 4 card?

For that matter, I have a Lexmark 32GB Class 10 that is slower than the Samsung as well. And the version that Angel gave me is 20130913...is that a typo on your part, or are there that many f/w's floating around?

I ran another test last night. Formated disk and set parameters to default.

It ran all night and was still recording this morning.

It fell over however when I reconnected the base usb and started recording again.

I've tried 3 types of card now and the type of card and size seems to be immaterial.

The problem seems to be the solely firmware related in as much that if you interrupt the recording seems to be unable to save the data correctly then falls over in a heap untill you re-format.

Last edited:
OK further update..... I disassembled the camera and looked inside to see if I had an internal slot.

I bought the no GPS no Internal version and YESSSS I have an internal slot !

I fitted memory card (32GB sam 10 supplied by eprance) to internal slot and re-assembled.

Reformatted and set parameters. (Firmware 1026)

So far its working PERFECTLY and I've stopped started recordings many times. With card in external slot it would have failed already by now.

Now to wait to see if it loops properly... I believe it will.. but will report back to confirm in a few hours.

Last edited:
What is the point of the internal card slot in practice? Does it synchronise the files on the two cards?

What is the point of the internal card slot in practice? Does it synchronise the files on the two cards?

having an internal card gives somewhere to copy files to in case you need to remove the card, if you had a card fail while out on the road you could still keep recording, dual cards can be used to double recording capacity with the right firmware (don't hold your breath for that in this model though)

A bit depressing reading the posts above as my 0801 has just arrived from China with 1026 firmware :(

Ok so I have got the No GPS No internal memory version...[snip]
Well, curious now...with the 1026 no internal memory f/w, you can't select internal/external card for storage, correct? It was mentioned earlier that you lose the GPS logging by JazJon by not having that selection [not that it matters to you as you don't have GPS]:
I didn't think the inner card was working with GPS either. Here's the thing, the 0801 will automatically record to the inner card if the microSD card is not inserted. It won't log GPS data in this mode though. You need to get into settings and change the "CHOOSE CARD" from Outer to Inner. Only then will it create the GPS folder and start creating GPS .LOG files on the inner card.

Well, curious now...with the 1026 no internal memory f/w, you can't select internal/external card for storage, correct? It was mentioned earlier that you lose the GPS logging by JazJon by not having that selection [not that it matters to you as you don't have GPS]:

Not so :)

If you put the card into the internal memory slot....... you can select internal card memory.

Edit... well you can with the one they sent me from e-prance (specified no GPS no internal when purchased and it came with no internal memory but has got an empty internal slot)

This is firmware specific. I have an internal SD Slot but can't choose it as recording dest.

Note.. that not all the cameras have the internal card slot, that GPS only camera I opened up to repair the faulty switch did not have a internal card slot. I assume its likely to depend which factory made it. That was one of the early batch of .mov cams, so might take a peek inside my other 2 at some point.

Last edited:
The Gods must have smiled favorably upon me when the they stuck there hands into the big lucky bag and sent me mine then.....

It's very much YMMV with these cameras!

One other minor point...did you get back with E-PRANCE about the fall-over problem before you took the camera apart? Just curious if they tried to help you...

I sent them an email Friday evening, they wont get it for a few hours when it arrives in thier monday morning in tray

Like others I am having problems using a 32GB Class 10 card (mine is a SanDisk) . Samsung sells 16GB Class 6 cards in both 25MB/s and 50MB/s BUS speeds. Before buying one does anyone know what the BUS speed should be?

You can read about Bus Speeds & SD markings here, and the Speed Class here if you wish.

Merci for any advice you can provide.

OK update on my camera No GPS No internal memory with samsung 32GB class 10 in external memory slot.

Was totally unusable due to "Low Speed Card" and "IO storage" errors, even before it got to the loop overwrite state.
Also failed to work with various other cards.

Now fully working by opening camera and placing very same samsung 32 GB class 10 card into internal memory socket.

Loop set to 5mins
recording video + audio
screen shut off after 1 min.
stamp set to date and time

Ran for 14 hours and it loops and writes over lowest file number succesfully.

Have stopped and started system dozens of times with no errors.

Shall now place it in vehicle and road test it for a few weeks, but I am very confident it will work OK.

OK update on my camera No GPS No internal memory with samsung 32GB class 10 in external memory slot.

Was totally unusable due to "Low Speed Card" and "IO storage" errors, even before it got to the loop overwrite state.
Also failed to work with various other cards.

Now fully working by opening camera and placing very same samsung 32 GB class 10 card into internal memory socket.

Loop set to 5mins
recording video + audio
screen shut off after 1 min.
stamp set to date and time

Ran for 14 hours and it loops and writes over lowest file number succesfully.

Have stopped and started system dozens of times with no errors.

Shall now place it in vehicle and road test it for a few weeks, but I am very confident it will work OK.

Good to hear..

Did you need to change firmware version to one with internal memory support or did it just work with your current default firmware ?

Another happy customer?

[smirk]

[I admire your perseverance, but we shouldn't have to go through all these gyrations.]

As an aside, it's comical, but Angel sent me an .ELF file to "upgrade" my f/w from 20131026 to 20130913. I'm going to follow whatever E-PRANCE tells me to do to get this thing working properly, including returning it for another one if necessary.

Last edited:
Good to hear..

Did you need to change firmware version to one with internal memory support or did it just work with your current default firmware ?

Nope... same firmware it was supplied with.... 1026

Another happy customer?

[smirk]

[I admire your perseverance, but we shouldn't have to go through all these gyrations.]

As an aside, it's comical, but Angel sent me an .ELF file to "upgrade" my f/w from 20131026 to 20130913.

100 % agree.
And LOL re Upgrade (downgrade)

Back