Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

Mtz said:
Yes, I think you are right about SanDisk. But I can't advice exactly what to buy.
enjoy,
Mtz
I looked into it more and found that UHS-I uses a higher clock frequency than the default speed on regular cards. Maybe the upgraded frequency is not compatible with cheaper cameras.

ciuvak said:
Mtz said:
Yes, I think you are right about SanDisk. But I can't advice exactly what to buy.
enjoy,
Mtz
I looked into it more and found that UHS-I uses a higher clock frequency than the default speed on regular cards. Maybe the upgraded frequency is not compatible with cheaper cameras.

those are the cards I always use, I suspect it would be something they could sort out in the firmware, maybe they haven't been made aware of the problem

jokiin said:
those are the cards I always use, I suspect it would be something they could sort out in the firmware, maybe they haven't been made aware of the problem
like I said earlier, they themselves recommend using a slower card than class 10, so it is a well known fact, and probably either a hardware limitation or incompetence to sort out the firmware, like you sugested.

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
like I said earlier, they themselves recommend using a slower card than class 10, so it is a well known fact, and probably either a hardware limitation or incompetence to sort out the firmware, like you sugested.

I wouldn't say incompetence but it may be that they don't do their own firmware, most don't, and are probably reliant on someone else to provide this, that can be a challenge I know so they may just be telling you what works rather than battling to get a fix, I don't think it's a hardware limitation as such though

ciuvak said:
Mtz said:
enjoy,
Mtz

I've been using a 32Gig UHS I Class 10 Sandisk card in a cheap Chinese cam (DVR 027) since the beginning without any issues whatsoever.

Gurkha9 said:
ciuvak said:
Mtz said:
enjoy,
Mtz

I've been using a 32Gig UHS I Class 10 Sandisk card in a cheap Chinese cam (DVR 027) since the beginning without any issues whatsoever.

yeah they work in most, I think it's just this particular version of camera that has some issue with them

Mtz,

Have you used any other cameras that had problems with the SanDisk Ultra cards? What exactly happens when there is an issue?

Look here for some examples.
The chinese know that is a chance even a very small one that some Class 10 to not work. And to not have trouble with customers the easy thing is to say what they recommed. If you will use a 32GB card which is not working you could not blame them.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Look here for some examples.
The chinese know that is a chance even a very small one that some Class 10 to not work. And to not have trouble with customers the easy thing is to say what they recommed. If you will use a 32GB card which is not working you could not blame them.
enjoy,
Mtz
Thank you! That was helpful.
It seems that the Sandisk 32GB class 10 is not in that list, I can't see them mentioning the UHS-I model anywhere. So I think I'm going to buy that model when it's on sale again, and then return it to the store if it doesn't work with the camera.

Yes, the best solution.
Somebody had a problem with a Kingston. I don't know details, just the name.

enjoy,
Mtz

hey guys, did anyone else order this camera? I ordered from the seller "Givoe", and he still hasn't shipped it yet. Told me today the factory has already delivered a first batch of these cameras, but the seller wants to test these first and make sure they are working properly. Promised to ship it sometimes next week and send a small gift for the wait. Anyone else in the same boat?
Any idea what gifts they are usually sending? I guess something small like a cable or whatever.

ciuvak said:
hey guys, did anyone else order this camera? I ordered from the seller "Givoe", and he still hasn't shipped it yet. Told me today the factory has already delivered a first batch of these cameras, but the seller wants to test these first and make sure they are working properly. Promised to ship it sometimes next week and send a small gift for the wait. Anyone else in the same boat?
Any idea what gifts they are usually sending? I guess something small like a cable or whatever.

not sure which version you bought (there are three factories producing this model), all use the same mainboard as a base and there's a little variation between them beyond that, I have one of the original manufacturers ones I've been looking at the past few days and can confirm Class10 memory has been no problem, ran it for 20 hours continuous with the Sandisk Class10 U1 cards I always use without a glitch, also use PNY Class10 memory without any problems

He is going to send me the updated version, but which one of the three I don't know.
How is the camera in general? Average video? Any freezes/shut downs?

ciuvak said:
He is going to send me the updated version, but which one of the three I don't know.
How is the camera in general? Average video? Any freezes/shut downs?

there were a couple of hardware issues in the initial run of these which I believe has been resolved, (a connector between the two mainboards was an issue and there were some GPS issues early on) you would only be getting a newer version regardless of which factory it came from so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, software wise there's room for some improvement, the basics are there though, have had one in the car the past few days which is by no means an exhaustive test but so far nothing unusual, seems like a decent starting point

jokiin said:
there were a couple of hardware issues in the initial run of these which I believe has been resolved, (a connector between the two mainboards was an issue and there were some GPS issues early on) you would only be getting a newer version regardless of which factory it came from so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, software wise there's room for some improvement, the basics are there though, have had one in the car the past few days which is by no means an exhaustive test but so far nothing unusual, seems like a decent starting point
Sounds about right to me. I don't have any great expectations, just need an average $100 camera to start. Would you say the video is on par with DR32?
Looking at the current market there is nothing I'd really like to own. Even if I'm ready to pay $300-$400 there is still nothing I like at that price point. There is huge room for improvement and innovation in this market.

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
Sounds about right to me. I don't have any great expectations, just need an average $100 camera to start. Would you say the video is on par with DR32?
Looking at the current market there is nothing I'd really like to own. Even if I'm ready to pay $300-$400 there is still nothing I like at that price point. There is huge room for improvement and innovation in this market.

well I haven't had a DR32 to compare, I've seen some good and bad reviews from others so I'm not really sure, I think once the firmware is sorted (it's not perfect) then I feel it would be a better option to a DR32 for sure, hardware wise I think it's ok, keep in mind though the spec I've looked at might not match what you're looking at so that's not really a definitive answer, the maniboard may be the same but there are different sensors and lenses offered which will impact picture quality and it's all about price of course

jokiin said:
well I haven't had a DR32 to compare, I've seen some good and bad reviews from others so I'm not really sure, I think once the firmware is sorted (it's not perfect) then I feel it would be a better option to a DR32 for sure, hardware wise I think it's ok, keep in mind though the spec I've looked at might not match what you're looking at so that's not really a definitive answer, the maniboard may be the same but there are different sensors and lenses offered which will impact picture quality and it's all about price of course
would you be interested at all to produce an improved version of this model (hardware/firmware), similar to how you did with your current camera? Of course the price would have to be higher, hopefully in line with the jokiin camera :)

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
would you be interested at all to produce an improved version of this model (hardware/firmware), similar to how you did with your current camera? Of course the price would have to be higher, hopefully in line with the jokiin camera :)

am actually looking at this model for that reason, price would have to be a bit above what some others in the market are doing with this model, mostly because we're looking at upping the hardware spec and it just adds cost, that said though there are economies of scale in using this mainboard and housing, in total it would be cheaper than we can do our GS1000 based product

jokiin said:
am actually looking at this model for that reason, price would have to be a bit above what some others in the market are doing with this model, mostly because we're looking at upping the hardware spec and it just adds cost, that said though there are economies of scale in using this mainboard and housing, in total it would be cheaper than we can do our GS1000 based product
wow, that sounds great. I wouldn't mind buying a second one made by you with better hardware, even more so if it's cheaper than your customized GS1000. That would be a real bargain :)
Not sure how trivial this is, but this form factor would not limit in any way your capacity to deliver good video quality, right?

ciuvak said:
Not sure how trivial this is, but this form factor would not limit in any way your capacity to deliver good video quality, right?

form factor I don't see as an issue (at this point in time), we still need to do some testing at high bitrate and make sure no issues though, I think the other camera may have a slight edge in day time but I think we can get a bit better night result on this one (just comes down to choice of lens and sensor), trying to strike a balance

Back