Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

so has anyone gotten the new version in to fully test it out and run it for a few days?

about to pull the trigger but I want to be sure there are no issues with the new version

Evan55 said:
so has anyone gotten the new version in to fully test it out and run it for a few days?
about to pull the trigger but I want to be sure there are no issues with the new version
Mine should arrive next week. It will be the updated version. I will post here when I get it.

Evan55 said:

hardware is fine, there's some improvements that could be made in firmware though

I just got mine. Firmware 20130604. Haven't installed it in my car yet but noticed the file extension is .TS so RegistratorViewer can't open it natively.

irononreverse said:
I just got mine. Firmware 20130604. Haven't installed it in my car yet but noticed the file extension is .TS so RegistratorViewer can't open it natively.

there's some issues with the MOV version of the firmware, the TS version doesn't have the stability problems so a bit annoying as far as playback goes but far more reliable

jokiin said:
there's some issues with the MOV version of the firmware, the TS version doesn't have the stability problems so a bit annoying as far as playback goes but far more reliable

Does using TS have impact on file size? I can imagine MPEG2 TS files are larger than MOV? Thanks.

newalias said:
jokiin said:

Does using TS have impact on file size? I can imagine MPEG2 TS files are larger than MOV? Thanks.

it's still MPEG4 H.264, just the container is different

here's the file properties of a TS recording, you can see the size is not significantly different to what it would be with MOV or MP4

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : C:\Users\oem-user\Desktop\A2 micro\06062013\DCIM\100MEDIA\AMBA0034.TS
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 334 MiB
Duration : 3mn 0s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 15.5 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=8
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.241
Stream size : 315 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 2ms
Stream size : 2.76 MiB (1%)

A stationary 3 minute clip is about 230mb for me. Battery lasted about 40 minutes.

irononreverse said:
A stationary 3 minute clip is about 230mb for me. Battery lasted about 40 minutes.

depends on the bitrate what size the files will be, the one I have here is set to 15Mbit so the files are a bit bigger, they're in line with my other cameras at the same bitrate though when using MOV or MP4 output

jokiin said:
depends on the bitrate what size the files will be, the one I have here is set to 15Mbit so the files are a bit bigger, they're in line with my other cameras at the same bitrate though when using MOV or MP4 output
jokiin, do you have a custom sample from the factory, or made a custom FW version?

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
jokiin, do you have a custom sample from the factory, or made a custom FW version?

both, spec and firmware is different

jokiin said:
drove to the factory and picked it up
So you are saying there are multiple versions of this camera? What specs does yours have?

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
drove to the factory and picked it up
So you are saying there are multiple versions of this camera? What specs does yours have?

There are 3 different factories doing this model currently, the main board and housing all come from the same factory though, spec level is up to the supplier/customer, there's a few different options available for lens, sensor, memory and GPS

Reactions: Mtz

jokiin said:
There are 3 different factories doing this model currently, the main board and housing all come from the same factory though, spec level is up to the supplier/customer, there's a few different options available for lens, sensor, memory and GPS
Alright, so besides the A2S60 + OV2710 combo, what else is out there? Is your config the best possible variation of this model? Could you please share more detailed specs? This could help others to ask the right questions when ordering from a seller.

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
Alright, so besides the A2S60 + OV2710 combo, what else is out there? Is your config the best possible variation of this model? Could you please share more detailed specs? This could help others to ask the right questions when ordering from a seller.

It's really up to the customer what they order, OV2710 is probably the most common sensor right now as the night performance is better than the MI5100, there are some other sensors used but they'd be the two most common I think you'll find in this model, I've seen them with 4, 5 or 6 glass lens, plenty of options there also, best way to judge I guess is try and get some raw footage, results can vary according to hardware spec but firmware is just as important, maybe more so, quite a few things that need improving in the default firmware platform that I can see

There is also an A7 version of this model planned, first samples maybe a month or so away

Reactions: Mtz

jokiin said:
irononreverse said:

How did you change the bitrate or are you talking about your own cust

irononreverse said:
jokiin said:
irononreverse said:

How did you change the bitrate or are you talking about your own cust

I have a different firmware on it at the moment to test at 15Mbit so I could compare to our other product, makes for a fairer comparison if they are both set to the same bitrate

jokiin said:
I have a different firmware on it at the moment to test at 15Mbit so I could compare to our other product, makes for a fairer comparison if they are both set to the same bitrate
what is the limit of bitrate for A2S70? is it possible to tune it up to 20Mbit/s? I have now GS9000 and bitrate is 13-14Mbit/s, but I still see compressing artifacts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back