Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

The definition of Secure Digital Class 4 means both read/write speed must exceed 4MB/s (megabytes per second), which in terms equivalent to 32Mbps (megabits per second, 1 byte=8bits). It is the minimum recommended speed for HD and full HD video recording.

The definition of Secure Digital Class 4 means both read/write speed must exceed 4MB/s (megabytes per second), which in terms equivalent to 32Mbps (megabits per second, 1 byte=8bits). It is the minimum recommended speed for HD and full HD video recording.

I've had my cameras write to Class4 cards at 20Mbps without issue, in practical use I've found the write speed of Class4 and Class10 to be very close, the read speed of Class10 is better but for this application it doesn't make much difference as it's the write speed that's important anyway

I've had my cameras write to Class4 cards at 20Mbps without issue,
Sorry I was trying to reply to Rayman Chen's post earlier, that class 4 means 4MB not 4Mb!

I've had my cameras write to Class4 cards at 20Mbps without issue, in practical use I've found the write speed of Class4 and Class10 to be very close, the read speed of Class10 is better but for this application it doesn't make much difference as it's the write speed that's important anyway
Ok, now I do not worry anymore for my class 4 card in Mini 0801 ;)

Well after hovering over the buy button on Amazon for a few minutes I've taken the plunge to order another from E-Prance again, I decided to get the GPS with 8GB on board memory this time, why a third camera? well I'm using 2 in my car, and TBH these also make a good little discrete security PVR for monitoring outside the front of our home, and much cheaper than dedicated equipment of course, though I don't know how it will last being constantly run, not long I imagine...lol , but these are so cheap it doesn't really matter too much. It runs fairly cool, and wer'e entering our cooler months so may last a while.. who knows...lol in fact it's quite cold here at the moment.

One may have to change the card when it starts to reach the end of its life, but otherwise, no reason why it should'nt run for some time.

I'd be interested to know how that goes as I could do with one for that reason myself.

Re 'though I don't know how it will last being constantly run, not long I imagine...' last night I read about the Mio MiVue 358 which has a feature which would be helpful for home security (and is very useful for protecting your car when you are not in it), i.e. it combines motion detect with a feature like Sky Plus - once it detects motion, it does not record just from there - it records the previous 5 or so seconds too. It seems that 5 seconds of images are constantly stored in RAM and once motion is detected, it tags that to the start of a recording. Techmoan refers to it in his review. Superb idea.

I was woondering how you intend to get around the effect of e.g. subzero temperatures on your camera and its innards when used for home security. Are you going to site against an indoor window?

I'd be interested to know how that goes as I could do with one for that reason myself.

Re 'though I don't know how it will last being constantly run, not long I imagine...' last night I read about the Mio MiVue 358 which has a feature which would be helpful for home security (and is very useful for protecting your car when you are not in it), i.e. it combines motion detect with a feature like Sky Plus - once it detects motion, it does not record just from there - it records the previous 5 or so seconds too. It seems that 5 seconds of images are constantly stored in RAM and once motion is detected, it tags that to the start of a recording. Techmoan refers to it in his review. Superb idea.

I was woondering how you intend to get around the effect of e.g. subzero temperatures on your camera and its innards when used for home security. Are you going to site against an indoor window?

Yes it's mounted on to inside of upstairs double glazed window, I nicked one camera out of the car until the other arrives, and it's been running 3days now and still going strong. Its location means sub zero temperatures not a problem, I also saw techmoan's review on the mio 358, and agree It would probably be more suitable for home surveillance duties, as having it record only when theres activity would extend it's life one would assume. but I'll play that mio 358 review again.. thanks for thought prompting suggestions. I may order the mio 358 as well as it could be more suited for this task.

Last edited:
Yes it's mounted on to inside of upstairs double glazed window, so sub zero temperatures not a problem, I also saw techmoan's review on the mio 358, and agree It would probably be more suitable for home surveillance duties, as having it record only when theres activity would extend it's life one would assume. I still have time to cancel the order for the 0801, so I'll play that mio 358 review again.. thanks for thought prompting suggestions.

Thanks for the quick reply.

FWIW, another person has kindly told me that the Panorama 2 has the 5 second rewind feature on Parking Mode too.

most dash cameras have the "motion detect" function for Parking Mode, when connect with a continuously power supply. the common record time is 5 seconds before motion detected to 30 seconds after motion detected. And some device use the method: take a frame every several seconds when parking, until "motion" detected and turn to normal recording.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.

FWIW, another person has kindly told me that the Panorama 2 has the 5 second rewind feature on Parking Mode too.

Think I may have seen a review... think it had very wide Letterbox type video format that looked a bit odd I thought.

I just played techmoans review again, and the Mio 358 does seem okay, I agree with his comments regarding the mount if used in a car, but that applies to all suction mounts. Less of an issue in a upstairs window perhaps. EDIT: I've since looked at the mio 388, and it seems very good, not cheap at almost £200, Halfords stock them so may gently drop hints for Birthday coming up soon, or xmas perhaps.

What I would like to know is if that motion detection can be run all the time while powered and not just upto 1hr on battery, and the other thing I'm thinking is, as it's able to go back the previous 5 seconds whenever it detects movement suggests to me thats it has to be recording all the time into tiny onboard memory buffer continually , otherwise it would not be possible ? and if thats the case you may as just continually write to a card. would also have been better if you could adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor.

My previous home on a private estate, tended to get more problems, mainly due to its open plan driveway at the front (no gates to secure yourself away..lol) and I had a brand new car keyed down the side, I used a cheap camera plugged into a crappy old notebook, the software I used was called 'Gotcha' and I recall it's motion detection was based on differences in the picture frame it see's which is probably how these camera's do it, but being PC software you could easily drag a circle say around a group of tree's or anything else on the picture, so it was excluded from the detection zone area IOW to reduce false detections, it actually worked quite well.

Luckily since retiring we bought a property right out in the sticks, 17 miles from nearest main town, only problem we have is the odd gypsy prowling around, but it's isolation can also make it vulnerable if you know what I mean hence the reason for a camera picking up anyone entering the driveway, Maplins have some dedicated camera security kits but it's the hassle of wiring them in properly.
The idea of using one of these cheap cams, tiny, self contained, mount in a second, and you can just switch on when you go out, or just leave it running. I've also used dummy cameras outside in the past..lol
As this is a Dashcam forum and not a home security forum I'll end there as this is turning into a book..lol

Last edited:
most dash cameras have the "motion detect" function for Parking Mode, when connect with a continuously power supply. the common record time is 5 seconds before motion detected to 30 seconds after motion detected. And some device use the method: take a frame every several seconds when parking, until "motion" detected and turn to normal recording.

Would I be correct in assuming... to achieve the ability to view the previous 5 seconds it must obviously record into a very small memory buffer continually, when in motion detect mode. ?

Would I be correct in assuming... to achieve the ability to view the previous 5 seconds it must obviously record into a very small memory buffer continually, when in motion detect mode. ?

yes, buffer memory needed as cache. but this is not the 8G storage build in.
that is like your computer memory and harddisk. and the TF card is External storage for backup

buffer + TF works also

Thanks for clarifying.

I noticed that the ccd sensor appears as though it's attached as part of lens unit at the back, " is the ccd and the lens unit all one single unit when you buy them in" ?

lens are designed for specified CCDs. usually we purchase the OEM finished "ccd and the lens unit all-in-one single unit" from lens factory as they have dust-free plant to build&seal the unit.

lens are designed for specified CCDs. usually we purchase the OEM finished "ccd and the lens unit all-in-one single unit" from lens factory as they have dust-free plant to build&seal the unit.

I thought that was the case, makes sense. thank you.

...Luckily since retiring we bought a property right out in the sticks, 17 miles from nearest main town, only problem we have is the odd gypsy prowling around, but it's isolation can also make it vulnerable if you know what I mean hence the reason for a camera picking up anyone entering the driveway, Maplins have some dedicated camera security kits but it's the hassle of wiring them in properly.
The idea of using one of these cheap cams, tiny, self contained, mount in a second, and you can just switch on when you go out, or just leave it running. I've also used dummy cameras outside in the past..lol...

Maplins have some dedicated camera security kits but it's the hassle of wiring them in properly - I had a look at Maplins' kits too. One possible alternative is the Logitech Alert which is supposedly an easy-to-set-up system (?? - I know nothing about it other than it exists).

I've also used dummy cameras outside in the past..lol... - so long as they don't come with a flashing red LED as I've been told that no genuine large CCTV camera has a flashing LED.

Anyone have any idea whether I'm better off waiting for the new version of the 0801 or buying the current one? I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string question' but I wonder if anyone has any insight.

Does anyone know what the improvements to the 0801 will be?

I have a slight problem of hiding the 0801 as my rear view mirror isn't black.

Yesterday I googled why the Russians have these cameras and saw some hairy dashcam videos. I drove differently today and was incredibly cautious when I got out of my car and crossed the road (the positive effect of the videos). It makes you realise how you really could die at any moment. Sobering stuff.

Back