Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

we ever found Mini 0801 can not turn on recording automatic when plug to some car charger, then we test other camera models that happens also. we suppose that is because that devices are loaded to "computer connect" mode with that car charger so it can not record video.
it is better to use the original car charger attached which have better quality.

Thats interesting, because I did notice myself that off the base, it would actually go into record mode when cable just plugged into the camera's USB socket, with one USB charger, but with another charger it just went into charge mode, which suports what you state. However if the base is connected and its powered via the base it works on either charger.
It's of no concern once you learn its behavour.. lol I use two 12v to 5v USB converters directly wired into my car and both camera's work perfectly, it enables me to free up the lighter socket for other things.
However if users have issues , your suggestion to use the power adapter supplied with the camera is very good advice.

Last edited:
lol I use two 12v to 5v USB converters directly wired into my car and both camera's work perfectly, it enables me to free up the lighter socket for other things.

lol, we used 3pcs 1to3 car charger adapter in our test car, to test several devices at the same time, so we can compare the videos in same condition.
last time there are 9pcs dash cameras. lol.........
41GkspPT9AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
QQ图片20131011131032.jpg
未命名.jpg

...the writing speed of class 4 is 4Mb/s to 8Mb/s, that is little lower than 1080P video requirement, there maybe problem for video stream cache....
Does it mean that class 4 is good for Mini 0801 taking full HD movies or not?

lol, we used 3pcs 1to3 car charger adapter in our test car, to test several devices at the same time, so we can compare the videos in same condition.
last time there are 9pcs dash cameras. lol.........

Amazing.. thanks for putting that up..lol

I do have few questions. I am thinking about buying a 3rd mini 0801 or perhaps a different model, as I have a use for it.
On the mini 0801 cams with the built-in 8gb does it use a internal microSD card or dedicated on pcb nand memory ? and in your opinion are the camera's with the 8gb as reliable as those without it ?

I'm also thinking that if it's a microSD card which I know from experience can occasionally go faulty, as they have a certain life span, meaning the only option to replace it is to open it up, or simply ignore it and use the external card.
Which is most reliable out of the two, or would it not be prudent to state here..lol (understandable ;-))as my current GPS models with no 8gb seem reliable so far.

Last edited:
Does it mean that class 4 is good for Mini 0801 taking full HD movies or not?

IME a good class 4 can be faster than a poor class 10, I've used class 4 cards for 20hrs or so without any problems, but I have switched to good quality Samsung Class 6 cards just to give a liitle more speed if needed, as a compromise between the C4 & C10 cards. be interesting to hear Rayman's thoughts on your question.

Which is most reliable out of the two, or would it not be prudent to state here..lol (understandable ;-))as my current GPS models with no 8gb seem reliable so far.

The 8G internal stroage is a nandflash solder on the PCB, which can not be replaced. (you can not modify the firmware even you upgraded the hardware)
the 8G internal storage is used for a Continuing Recording when the users don't have a TF on hand or when he is replacing different cards. the device will backup the videos in internal storage to TF card automatic, without interrupt the recording.
personally, i think the internal stroage is NOT necessary. The situation is, when you replacing the TF card, you will park the car beside the road. You have two hands but you can not have one hand on steering wheel but another hand to replace the TF. At least, I won't. lol............

IME a good class 4 can be faster than a poor class 10, I've used class 4 cards for 20hrs or so without any problems, but I have switched to good quality Samsung Class 6 cards just to give a liitle more speed if needed, as a compromise between the C4 & C10 cards. be interesting to hear Rayman's thoughts on your question.
the video rate of Mini 0801 can be 12Mbps at good condition. it is over the capacity of most class 4 cards.
at normal condition, class 4 works but i believe that is not the best choice.

the video rate of Mini 0801 can be 12Mbps at good condition. it is over the capacity of most class 4 cards.
at normal condition, class 4 works but i believe that is not the best choice.

So what class card are you suggesting users should buy ? I assume class 6 ( though my own 3 or 4 hour tests with Class 10 cards revealed no problems) however the manual does recommend users not to use class 10 because it uses faster clock speeds, or should we ignore the comments in the manual... and be buying class 10/UHS-1... ?

The brand/quality IME is also a big factor especially so on these micrSD cards, as writing speeds can vary dramatically between same spec cards.

Last edited:
That is a great picture of the windshield, with all the devices!! It kinda makes my jealous, but I doubt my wife would like it.
you can try to mount devices behind every windows to build a 360 degree full view lab. in fact 4 cams will cover. :)

Hi, new to the forum.
I asked my wife for the 0801 as an anniversary gift so I should be getting one from E-Prance's Amazon store in a few weeks.

I asked on Techmoans review but haven't gotten an answer yet:
When the button is pressed to lock a recording, or an event happens, does the camera only lock the current file?
What I'm getting at is what if a wreck happens right after the camera cycles to a new file, or right before. It might not lock the events leading up to a crash or those right after.
What if the camera would lock the current file and the ones immediately before and after so there is no chance of missing any details.

Sorry if it's been discussed. I read the latest 30-40 pages, but not the whole thing yet.

Thanks,
Mike

From what I have seen once you press the lock button it stays locked for all of the files. You would think it would only lock the one file but doesn't seem to work that way. Don't know if it's a bug or designed that way

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk now Free

Hi, new to the forum.
I asked my wife for the 0801 as an anniversary gift so I should be getting one from E-Prance's Amazon store in a few weeks.

I asked on Techmoans review but haven't gotten an answer yet:
When the button is pressed to lock a recording, or an event happens, does the camera only lock the current file?
What I'm getting at is what if a wreck happens right after the camera cycles to a new file, or right before. It might not lock the events leading up to a crash or those right after.
What if the camera would lock the current file and the ones immediately before and after so there is no chance of missing any details.

Sorry if it's been discussed. I read the latest 30-40 pages, but not the whole thing yet.

Thanks,
Mike
Mine seems to lock the current file, the previous file, and the next file. So 3 files altogether.

Well after hovering over the buy button on Amazon for a few minutes I've taken the plunge to order another from E-Prance again, I decided to get the GPS with 8GB on board memory this time, why a third camera? well I'm using 2 in my car, and TBH these also make a good little discrete security PVR for monitoring outside the front of our home, and much cheaper than dedicated equipment of course, though I don't know how it will last being constantly run, not long I imagine...lol , but these are so cheap it doesn't really matter too much. It runs fairly cool, and wer'e entering our cooler months so may last a while.. who knows...lol in fact it's quite cold here at the moment.

One may have to change the card when it starts to reach the end of its life, but otherwise, no reason why it should'nt run for some time.

Mine seems to lock the current file, the previous file, and the next file. So 3 files altogether.

Does your Lock icon remain on for the rest of that recording session ? until you press down button again which seems to be the case with mine... at least I think thats what is happening..lol.. ( time to read the manual..lol)

Does your Lock icon remain on for the rest of that recording session ? until you press down button again which seems to be the case with mine... at least I think thats what is happening..lol.. ( time to read the manual..lol)
I think I have to hit the down button twice while it's recording in order to lock the files. Once to "wake up" the camera when the screen is off, and another time to actually lock the file. I never paid attention to the icon on the screen. I just let it continue recording for awhile. Then I went back and viewed the video files on the camera and those 3 files had the little lock icon on them and the rest did not. I only tested it once but this is my recollection of how it all went down.

I think I have to hit the down button twice while it's recording in order to lock the files. Once to "wake up" the camera when the screen is off, and another time to actually lock the file. I never paid attention to the icon on the screen. I just let it continue recording for awhile. Then I went back and viewed the video files on the camera and those 3 files had the little lock icon on them and the rest did not. I only tested it once but this is my recollection of how it all went down.

Yes.. mine is the same , I've just done a couple of tests and when down button is pressed which puts lock icon on screen , it marks three files as write protected, (Im set at default 1min loop) earlier I was wondering if it cancelled the lock icon after a set time, and I can confirm thats exactly what it does, after about 2 or 3 mins it goes off. I thought you may have to cancel it yourself so you could lock it again later perhaps.. but no it does go off itself.. which makes sense.

Last edited:
Nobody with a TS firmware above 20130727 with a higher bitrate then 10mbit that i can try?
Is there also somebody with the 20130727 firmware for a downgrade if it does not work correctly?

Back