Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Anyone have any idea whether I'm better off waiting for the new version of the 0801 or buying the current one? I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string question' but I wonder if anyone has any insight.

Does anyone know what the improvements to the 0801 will be?

I have a slight problem of hiding the 0801 as my rear view mirror isn't black.

Rayman reckons they may be available well before Xmas, but no idea what changes have been made, with a camera of this size there's going to be limitations, with cost being a factor too, nonetheless the current camera does not have bad video quality. It may also be prudent to wait a few weeks after they are released. ;-)

I assume you don't have any spare dotted area behind the rear view you could mount to, My black dotted area extends a little either side of the mirror mount, so I can mount mine onto that with just the lens protruding over the edge. The big snag with that is.. It's above the windscreen wiper pattern, which means when raining It wouldn't see very well, so I've had to fit it slightly lower so its just inside the wiper sweep, unfortunately it makes it a little more visible. I did change the pad for one that was black which makes it stand out less.

You could always spray your mirror black...lol or cover with black car wrapping., bit drastic though.

Hallo and welcome all to this great board,

today I got my mini 0801 from Givoe. It has the firmware 20130913 and I use the camera with a Class 6 Samsung 32GB MicroSD. No problems at all. The camera is working fine untel now.
I have some questions that the manual do not answer:

1. What are the settings under Photo Size: 4M, 3M, 2M, 0.9M - is it the recorded photo size in Megapixel for each photo?
  2. Sharpness & Contrast - are these settings for the video and photo or only for the video
  3. What means AE Bias
  4. AE Meter Mode: Center, Spot, Average
  5. Has someone testet the motion detection in combination with Loop Record mode and "Power Off" off. That means to me that when I switch off my care the comera will still record in motion dection as long as the batterie has enough power to do and when the batterie goes empty it will power off
  6. For what is the 3,5 mm jack on top of the camera
  7. What GPS precision are best - at the moment I use 3. Is 2 better. I do not now what happens when I change these settings
A lot of questions and hopefully someone can anser them.

Is there a new modell coming out at the end of the year. I though I have read something about this long thread.

BTW.:
WARNING! DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THE OFF-THE-NET SHOP IN NEW ZEALAND. 2 MONTH AGO I ODERED A MINI 0801 FROM THEM AND I HAVE GOTTEN NOTHING. THEY GRAB MY MONEY AND THAT IT. NO RESPONSE TO EMAILS, PHONE CALL ETC. I OPEND A CREDIT CARD FRAUD REPORT AGAINST OFF-THE-NET. SO BE WARNED.

Hallo and welcome all to this great board,

today I got my mini 0801 from Givoe. It has the firmware 20130913 and I use the camera with a Class 6 Samsung 32GB MicroSD. No problems at all. The camera is working fine untel now.
I have some questions that the manual do not answer:

1. What are the settings under Photo Size: 4M, 3M, 2M, 0.9M - is it the recorded photo size in Megapixel for each photo?
  2. Sharpness & Contrast - are these settings for the video and photo or only for the video
  3. What means AE Bias
  4. AE Meter Mode: Center, Spot, Average
  5. Has someone testet the motion detection in combination with Loop Record mode and "Power Off" off. That means to me that when I switch off my care the comera will still record in motion dection as long as the batterie has enough power to do and when the batterie goes empty it will power off
  6. For what is the 3,5 mm jack on top of the camera
  7. What GPS precision are best - at the moment I use 3. Is 2 better. I do not now what happens when I change these settings
A lot of questions and hopefully someone can anser them.

Is there a new modell coming out at the end of the year. I though I have read something about this long thread.

BTW.:
WARNING! DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THE OFF-THE-NET SHOP IN NEW ZEALAND. 2 MONTH AGO I ODERED A MINI 0801 FROM THEM AND I HAVE GOTTEN NOTHING. THEY GRAB MY MONEY AND THAT IT. NO RESPONSE TO EMAILS, PHONE CALL ETC. I OPEND A CREDIT CARD FRAUD REPORT AGAINST OFF-THE-NET. SO BE WARNED.

Samsung Class 6 seems to be the best choice for microSD cards. (but over priced) You said it's working fine until now. (as in..... something bad happened? what?)

1. When you press and hold the center button while recording video it will take a photo. That's the megapixal setting. (don't care, never use it for photos)
2. Not sure, I leave it default
3. https://www.google.com/#q=Auto Exposure bias
4. I'm assuming that's the point where it measures when to change exposure when you drive through shadows etc.
5. I'm going to assume that Power Off means the camera will power off once the microSD card is FULL instead of recycling the oldest file by writing over it. I'm not sure though. The 20130913 firmware seems to be a bit different.
6. That is for Composite video / audio. You need to buy one of those (2.5mm?) min jack to RCA adapters. They used to be common on older digital cameras back in the day. Why bother though when it's better to use HDMI. I guess some people's stereo's only accept old school composite video inputs though so might be useful for that I guess.
7. I don't have any GPS precision options in my current firmware. I'm going to assume that's how many satellite it locks on to before the logging begins. I don't know though.

Yes a new "0801" sized dashcam with potentially WDR/HDR on the way, but no details are out yet. There is a big trade show in Hong Kong this week. There maybe details out after that.

As soon as we know, someone should start a new thread. We can edit the title as the name develops. (like how the mini 0801 had multiple names)

7) it s not GPS précision but g sensor(accelerometer). The setting is how many Gs it does take to auto lock files.it s sort of crash detection.
I let by default since 2 was to low for me. Any bumper would triger lock.

You're not alone. The comments at
include posts by two or three victims of Off The Net. Perhaps you can get together to pursue this shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if you posted the correct domain, joovoo.com................... i think that is a new B2B website which named "China Household Electrical Appliances" following Alibaba mode. means, not a website for specified company. hehe

Hi,
Whilst we do deal with businesses (more and more) we are an online retailer who sells to everyone. About 90% of our business is with consumers. Furthermore we are NOT China Household Electrical Appliances or whatever that is. We are www.JooVuu.com based in the UK. We have no Alibaba account and we rarely use our ebay account as this means we have to raise prices to cover the money going to eBay and other places. I hope this has cleared things up for you but I can assure you and everyone we are an online retailer based in the UK (as proven by the people who have bought from us) and we provide excellent after sales support and pre-sales support.
Kind regards,

JooVuu

Last edited:
You're not alone. The comments at
include posts by two or three victims of Off The Net. Perhaps you can get together to pursue this shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Russ331,
I'm sorry to hear about this. We have nothing to do with this retailer but I'm always up for helping someone in need. Drop me a message and hopefully JooVuu can help you out.

Kind regards,
Dan

Hey guys, there appears to be a much cheaper version of this camera:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Recorder-G-sensor-Megapixel-Detection/dp/B00FKTQ3NE/
The model is called GS608. It uses the Novatek processor. And it has a suction mount instead of the adhesive mount. Has anyone tried this one, what is the video quality like? Worth buying to save some money? (sorry if it was already discussed, I skimmed thru the last few pages of this huge topic but didn't see anything)

Rayman reckons they may be available well before Xmas, but no idea what changes have been made, with a camera of this size there's going to be limitations, with cost being a factor too, nonetheless the current camera does not have bad video quality. It may also be prudent to wait a few weeks after they are released. ;-)

I assume you don't have any spare dotted area behind the rear view you could mount to, My black dotted area extends a little either side of the mirror mount, so I can mount mine onto that with just the lens protruding over the edge. The big snag with that is.. It's above the windscreen wiper pattern, which means when raining It wouldn't see very well, so I've had to fit it slightly lower so its just inside the wiper sweep, unfortunately it makes it a little more visible. I did change the pad for one that was black which makes it stand out less.

You could always spray your mirror black...lol or cover with black car wrapping., bit drastic though.

how about a tint visor at the top of the window?

Thanks.

Lunar, I hadn't thought of that. Great idea. I have room in the black dotted area. I'm just wondering if removing it at some future date might remove the black dots with it.

I'm considering getting a Mobius for a rear cam (and use it as a front cam while waiting for the new 0801) because I reckon it'll be less conspicuous than the 0801 - I can't hide a rear camera (unless I house it in something). In addition, the 80 minute battery life is very useful as it means I can use it away from a cigarette lighter socket - on my push bike, motorbike and radio control aircraft.

I really like the idea of a camera with a 5-second retrospective recording feature in parking mode (like the Mio Mivue 358) but don't see how I can hide it.

The 0801 remains very attractive.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks.

Lunar, I hadn't thought of that. Great idea. I have room in the black dotted area. I'm just wondering if removing it at some future date might remove the black dots with it.

I'm considering getting a Mobius for a rear cam (and use it as a front cam while waiting for the new 0801) because I reckon it'll be less conspicuous than the 0801 - I can't hide a rear camera (unless I house it in something). In addition, the 80 minute battery life is very useful as it means I can use it away from a cigarette lighter socket - on my push bike, motorbike and radio control aircraft.

I really like the idea of a camera with a 5-second retrospective recording feature in parking mode (like the Mio Mivue 358) but don't see how I can hide it.

The 0801 remains very attractive.

Thanks for your advice.

As long as you use something like a length of dental floss to remove it you should be okay, I did'nt have any problem when I removed mine recently, but I acknowledge your sticking to something that is itself stuck to the screen, it is stuck to the glass rather well though. One of my concerns was how well the base would actually stay attached, but it certainly stayed put for 2 days, however I discovered a big flaw with mine as soon as it started to rain. My camera position was just outside of the windscreen wiper pattern...lol.. so I had to move mine a little lower and mount to the glass itself. It's a bit more visible but at least it can see something when it rains. ;-)
Something users need to consider when mounting... ie. is it positioned within the wiper pattern? ...lol

It's ironic you mention that mio 358. I was looking at both the 358 and the 388 in our local Halfords store this afternoon, not that cheap though, at £149 & £199, it looks like the main difference is the GPS on the 388. I must admit even at that price I was tempted to buy the 388, but with another mini 0801 on its way from E-Prance meaning I shall then have 3 of these...lol I was finding it hard to find a excuse to buy it, and certainly could'nt justify it. However I shall probably end up getting one though before the weekend..lol.. It's actually quite small, but yes I'd imagine the suction mount will inevitably be more noticeable, meaning It'll be took off the screen often. Looks very well made and I like the way it snaps into the clip, easy and quick I thought.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Recorder-G-sensor-Megapixel-Detection/dp/B00FKTQ3NE/
The model is called GS608. It uses the Novatek processor. And it has a suction mount instead of the adhesive mount. Has anyone tried this one, what is the video quality like? Worth buying to save some money? (sorry if it was already discussed, I skimmed thru the last few pages of this huge topic but didn't see anything)

First time I've seen that, certainly dirt cheap, you can't argue it's too expensive... It's obviously built down to a price, then again.. aren't they all. The CPU and sensor is likely inferior, but a good buy for the money if it works reasonably.
Be okay perhaps for a couple of cheap home security cams. It will be interesting to read what buyers think of them.

As long as you use something like a length of dental floss to remove it you should be okay, I did'nt have any problem when I removed mine recently, but I acknowledge your sticking to something that is itself stuck to the screen, it is stuck to the glass rather well though. One of my concerns was how well the base would actually stay attached, but in any event I discovered a big flaw with mine as soon as it started to rain. My camera position was just outside of the windscreen wiper pattern...lol.. so I had to move mine a little lower and mount to the glass itself. It's a bit more visible but at least it can see something when it rains. ;-)
Something users need to consider when mounting... ie. is it positioned within the wiper pattern? ...lol
Removing with dental floss!! What a great idea. I was thinking of using a heat gun, the dental floss is a much better method, when the 3m tape needs to be removed. Thanks for the tip

Wow we have our OWN Mini 0801 section in the Forum as of today. This thread is getting out of control @ 72 pages long.

It's time everyone starts new Threads on specific questions etc.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?forums/mini-0801.37/

In other news, Demi from eBay e-prance just got back to me. If I understand her response correctly she will be reimburrsing me the return postage cost. I went ahead and send back my old 0801 and asked to make sure I have the freshest batch with absolute latest firmware. It cost $11 to ship back via First-Class Package International Service

"Dear Jon~

how is your weekend? yes, you can send back the DVR without the parts( charger, holder or cable...)and we will resend you a new DVR.
Is it ok for you? and i am sorry we can't offer the shipping lable, how about you send it back by a cheap post, like China post or epackage and we will bear the shipping cost for you.

Our address is:

XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Shenzhen Guangdong
CN

After your shipment, would you pls give me a notice, thanks,Jon
Waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Demi"

Last edited by a moderator:

EDIT: I created a new thread:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....ra-gs608-120-degree-wide-angle-g-senser.2738/

Wow very interesting! This was rumored to be in the works by Raymond, didn't know it was out already. Hopefully a better WDR version is in the works. The Suction cup mount is nice though. (for those that need/want it for rentals) 24 FPS sucks though.

"Night Vision: N/A "

It's too bad it doesn't have WDR like the:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....-f1-6-h-264-mov-15mbps-gps-dash-cam-dvr.1449/
G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing with dental floss!! What a great idea. I was thinking of using a heat gun, the dental floss is a much better method, when the 3m tape needs to be removed. Thanks for the tip

Yes I use that method often for removing these sort of pads, causes no damage at all, and once it's off the remainder comes away fairly easily. I tie an old coat button or similar at either end of the floss, makes it much easier. Once your halfway through it will just twist off easily.

Last edited:
Just a wish for a future upgrade. It would be nice with so many firmware and hardware versions, if the device displayed both the firmware and hardware versions. This would make upgrading the firmware a little less risky. :)

Last edited:
Just a wish for a future upgrade. I would be nice with so many firmware and hardware versions, if the device displayed both the firmware and hardware versions. This would make upgrading the firmware a little less risky. :)

Yeah I don't understand why factories didn't make both firmware and hardware versions readable/known. They have a great product, but since they don't keep to a standard it's only confusing long term support. We can only hope that moving forward the next generation will be better. (I really want WDR in a mini 0801 shaped body)

If I recall correctly, you had bought 2 dashcams and both failed to cycle correctly? Is there any chance the problem is with the SD card's you use (specifc to recycle)? If your going to go through the trouble of replacing them, its safer to purchase an SD card (EXACT same make/model they use for their internal testing) from the seller?

I have this same fear when my unit arrives and would be good to know what the core problem was

In other news, Demi from eBay e-prance just got back to me. If I understand her response correctly she will be reimburrsing me the return postage cost. I went ahead and send back my old 0801 and asked to make sure I have the freshest batch with absolute latest firmware. It cost $11 to ship back via First-Class Package International Service

If I recall correctly, you had bought 2 dashcams and both failed to cycle correctly? Is there any chance the problem is with the SD card's you use (specifc to recycle)? If your going to go through the trouble of replacing them, its safer to purchase an SD card (EXACT same make/model they use for their internal testing) from the seller?

I have this same fear when my unit arrives and would be good to know what the core problem was

I have a Sandisk 32GB Class 10, Sandisk 32GB Class 4, Unknown brand 4GB Class 4, and also tried the internal 8GB for the Givoe mini 0801 (my newest)

They ALL failed once it's full and recycle begins. I'd be happy to try a Samsung Class 6 card but they are over priced. The e-prance one I'm returning has dead pixels so that alone is enough reason to exchange it for a new one. After I get the replacement, I'll try all my cards once again. If it fails again, I'll order the Samsung Class 6 card. I'll also look into ordering the microSD card direct from the re-seller as well. (after they assure me they tested a full card in looped recycle mode)

Back