Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I started reading this thread after googling "0801 low speed error" and saw a lot of discussion about it which seemed like it was getting somewhere. I thought the answer might be buried somewhere within the 74 pages! :(

The only thing that I can contribute to this thread is that my camera seemed to start behaving strangely after I moved my car from one side a car park to another, so it was quite rapidly turned on then turned off. Maybe coincidence...maybe not.

You're sure the power is not flaking out right? (inserted into cigarette port good, solid green light at all times?)

Since your 0801 came with 20130924 can you see if your G-Sensor is working? Go into the menu and see what happens when you pick G-SENSOR CALIBRATION (does it complete?)

Did you buy from e-prance or eprance?

Are you suggesting JazJon they may not be one of the same, one would have assumed they were, They likely have more than one eBay account perhaps.

Yeh, the power supply is not the issue, I saw both "low speed card" and "storage error" a few times today, then it turns off and the blue led stays solid.

I just triedd g sensor calibration. It says "PLEASE KEEP MACHINE STILL!" at the top of the screen in yellow writing. It completes it in about 2 seconds.

I'm going to turn off the g sensor though...why would you want it locking files?

Yeh, the power supply is not the issue, I saw both "low speed card" and "storage error" a few times today, then it turns off and the blue led stays solid.

I just triedd g sensor calibration. It says "PLEASE KEEP MACHINE STILL!" at the top of the screen in yellow writing. It completes it in about 2 seconds.

I'm going to turn off the g sensor though...why would you want it locking files?

Ok that proves that certain 0801's have different hardware specs. It was explained a few pages back that the g-sensor chip was changed out when the prices/inventory changed. That means that 20130924 is not the right firmware for my original Givoe 0801 GPS+8GB that came loaded with 20130903. (but it is the right one for yours)

The locked file is nice so you can quickly find the "accident" via http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
More importantly, say you drove off a ditch into some trees out of site. (and was knocked unconscious a few hours) The camera would keep recording and possibly write over the main event files. (something like that)
I'm waiting for Givoe to send me the correct firmware for my 0801 (20130922 from what we've been told is the right one for GPS+8gb internal)

From "eprance". No hyphen.

Does this make a difference!?

From "eprance". No hyphen.

Does this make a difference!?

Here's the message I just sent to eBay "e-prance" (Demi)
(I originally bought my first 0801 from e-prance)

"Dear e-prance,

Hi Demi,
Is eBay store eprance and e-prance the same? (do you run both?)
Someone in the forum said they were not gettting a response from eBay seller eprance.
~Jon"

To be honest I'm not bothered if it's a different seller...

It's the same camera, same firmware, etc. Now we just need to figure out a fix for these dam errors!

Where's the crying smiley? lol

To be honest I'm not bothered if it's a different seller...

It's the same camera, same firmware, etc. Now we just need to figure out a fix for these dam errors!

Where's the crying smiley? lol

Go ahead and send a message to eprance. Explain the error in the same way you did before. Say you're aware the loopped/recycle mode is an on going issue for others once the card is full. Ask if they have a newer firmware than 20130924.

Way ahead of you! I sent him a message a couple of hours ago.

Here's what I'm going to do:

-Currently running H2Testw
-After H2Testw, put back in camera, return to default settings
-Change loop size to 5 minutes (from 3 minutes)
-Reformat card in camera

I'll let you know if that has any effect on the errors when I've filled the card (which will take a few days)

Or perhaps I should just plug it into a usb charger and run it overnight? But I think I read on this thread that they loop/record okay if run overnight but then not in the car when they are constantly powered on/off?

What about my last comment though, about whether the errors are affected by the camera being constantly turned on/off in the car being a different situation?

I think I read a post from you a while back saying you had no problems when left overnight in a usb and then you put it in your car and had problems?

how about trying 720p mode?

What about my last comment though, about whether the errors are affected by the camera being constantly turned on/off in the car being a different situation?

I think I read a post from you a while back saying you had no problems when left overnight in a usb and then you put it in your car and had problems?

The reason you let it record for many hours is to fill the card. Once it's full, put it back into your car, and start/stop your car over and over to see if it errors our again. It won't error out unless the card is full.

My 0801 GPS+8gb with 32GB Class 4 has been recording 2.5 hours non stop on a USB power adapter. I'm going to wait at least 4.3 hours before checking to see if it's "full" and in recycle mode. (AMB0001.MOV will have been deleted)
http://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

Ok that proves that certain 0801's have different hardware specs. It was explained a few pages back that the g-sensor chip was changed out when the prices/inventory changed. That means that 20130924 is not the right firmware for my original Givoe 0801 GPS+8GB that came loaded with 20130903. (but it is the right one for yours)

The locked file is nice so you can quickly find the "accident" via http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
More importantly, say you drove off a ditch into some trees out of site. (and was knocked unconscious a few hours) The camera would keep recording and possibly write over the main event files. (something like that)
I'm waiting for Givoe to send me the correct firmware for my 0801 (20130922 from what we've been told is the right one for GPS+8gb internal)

Have we established what camera that firmware Giveo sent is for ? As it would seem from their msg that its not for any of the 3 current .mov models. ie. (1: Standard cam with no GPS and no 8GB) (2: Cam with just GPS) (3: Cam with both GPS and 8GB)
Quote your Giveo msg. = "it different for build-in memory, gps, or not build-in without gps."

Earlier messages from E-Prance for example stated the 0924 was to update the earlier .TS camera's. and I assume there were different models.. ie GPS and Non GPS of the .TS cams too. Getting confusing isnt it...lol

Re. G Force Calibration.
Would it not seem logical that the camera needs to be in position in the car when that G force calibration is done, as I would have thought any rotation or any other orientation would leave it with the incorrect calibration setting ?
I'm not sure what sensor device is being used, so it may not apply, but I suspect it would be logical to calibrate when the camera is in position in the car, and not on one's desk.. as I believe that is why they included the calibration option in the first place... what do you think.?

Last edited:
I'd like to clear this all up as well so we can ask the FAQ page be updated with everything we've learned.

I don't see how the 0801 can tell the difference if it's powered via USB Adapter or Car Adapter. The g-sensor is inside the 0801 itself not the GPS or nonGPS base.

Here's the last message I sent Lia at Givoe:

• Me:

12:46 Oct 17,2013

Thanks Lia.

I Placed firmware root of microSD, powered on, prompted for firmware update yes/no (pressed yes)

Processing... *hiss hiss hiss* (static white noise) and camera powered off (solid red led)

Powered back on, Russian Language asking for firmware update. (pressed NET "no")

Went into menu, found Language choices (4th option from the bottom) Changed back to English

I confirmed the firmware is now on 20130924

Changed all the usual stuff back, GPS set to "OPEN" (aka On as in Open Faucet)

I'm not sure this is the right firmware, the G-SENSOR CALIBRATION doesn't work.
    It gets stuck on "PLEASE KEEP MACHINE STILL"

The forum thinks the firmware is as follows........

"20130913 is the latest for the GPS version,
    20130922 is the latest for the GPS 8gb version
    20130924 was an update for the older .TS models to bring them up to date and enable the .mov files on those camera's."

Do you have 20130922? I think different batches used different G-Sensor chips since they changed those out at one point from what I'm reading.

I'm testing 20130924 for now, I'm letting the card fill up and will see what happens once looped/recycle mode kicks in.

Is it possible re-sellers are selling OLD stock 0801's (that previously recorded in .TS) and upgraded the firmware to 20130924?

I don't have my old 0801 any more to test this new firmware since I sent it back to China for replacement. (had stuck pixels)

Back