Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Hello D, please playback your video in TF on RegistratorViewer and check out the G value at bottom left.
that will help to dig out the problem.

This is a good suggestion, if you don't see any unusual activity recorded but are still getting protected files there's obviously an issue, either way I'd be suspicious that it may actually be a hardware problem

There should be a limit as to how many files can be locked, if its locking all of them there is certainly something amiss

I guess at worst you might have to disable the G-Sensor to at least keep it functional

as contrast, here are the screenshots of Mini 0801 (1080P A2S60 chip) (sorry again for my dirty windshield again, that degrades a lot)

X24-1.JPG X24-2.JPG X24-3.JPG X24-4.JPG X24-5.JPG X24-6.JPG X24-7.JPG X24-8.JPG X24-9.JPG

then an NT96650 device which used 4G lens only (also the windshield problem)

X98-1.JPG X98-2.JPG X98-3.JPG X98-4.JPG X98-5.JPG X98-6.JPG X98-7.JPG

the last one, AIT8427 chip. (i will not mention the windshield again, bro)

X98-AIT-1.JPG X98-AIT-2.JPG X98-AIT-3.JPG X98-AIT-4.JPG X98-AIT-5.JPG X98-AIT-6.JPG X98-AIT-7.JPG X98-AIT-8.JPG X98-AIT-9.JPG

end with a family photo in that test, please find where is your Mini 0801? ;)

QQ图片20131011131032.jpg

end with a family photo in that test, please find where is your Mini 0801? ;)

View attachment 1753

4th from the right? Actually none of them, because my Mini 0801 is hanging on my car windscreen right now.

Now do I get a prize for that? Like a new Mini 0801 with fix to that loop recording problem? :P

Help!

I got a basic 0801,
No internal storage
No GPS
Using Kingston 32GB Class 4
Using FW0902

0801 has been working OK with no issues. Today I noticed that the LOCK symbol is on the screen, and does NOT go off after 3 mins, when I press the Down button the symbol flashes but remains ON.
All the files on the SD card have the LOCK symbol.

Even when the 0801 is sat on the desk and not being moved, when it is switched on and starts to record, it has the LOCK symbol.

I have changed the G sensor setting to 2G and then also 5G, I am unable to get the LOCK symbol to go off.
IF I switch OFF the G Sensor, I am able to manually protect the file :Lock and Unlock.

I have recalibrated the G-Sensor, the problem remains.
I have defaulted the settings, again problem remains.
I have done the Long press reset, again problem remains.
Concern is if all the files are locked then nothing will get overwritten as there will be no storage for new files, or files being protected when needed ie impact.

Whats going on, any advice would be appreciated. I have spoken to Lia at Givoe, who's awating a response from factory.

Thanks
D.

On my 0913 firmware, I notice on the several G settings there is also a CLOSE option, meaning turn the G sensor OFF, so if thats on yours too, I would see if that makes any difference.
I'm not 100% sure what the G Calibration option does, it just has option for No and Yes, my default is NO.

Hmmm.. strange one, but I'm sure Rayman Chan will find cause. :-)

Last edited:
On my 0913 firmware, I notice on the several G settings there is also a CLOSE option, meaning turn the G sensor OFF, so if thats on yours too, I would see if that makes any difference.
I'm not 100% sure what the G Calibration option does, it just has option for No and Yes, my default is NO.

Hmmm.. strange one, but I'm sure Rayman Chan will find cause. :)

Yes, there is also CLOSE on mine also, my understanding of this, is that CLOSE means OFF, ie G Sensor OFF so files will not get locked if there is a shock applied depending upon the setting 2G to 5G.

When I have had this switched off, then when the 0801 starts to record, there is no LOCK symbol on the display. Manually pressing the down button causes the LOCK symbol to come on for approx 3mins.

When the G sensor is on and set between 2G and 5G as soon as it starts recording either when when power is applied or manually pressing the OK button the lock symbol appears, and you cannot override it by pressing the down button

Checking the files in the camera, all files when the G sensor is on are LOCKED.

Last edited:
Hello D, please playback your video in TF on RegistratorViewer and check out the G value at bottom left.
that will help to dig out the problem.

Is the G value suppose to vary as the video plays? I compared my current files with an older file, seems no different, cant see any change in value

I believe the 20130913 is the latest for the GPS version, and 20130922 is the latest for the GPS 8gb version. At least that's what one of my recent emails from E-Prance stated... Assuming I understood it properly. It seems the 20130924 was an update for the older .TS models to bring them up to date and enable the .mov files on those camera's.

Be honest JazJon.. You were really checking out your friends driving...lol

AliExpress Givoe just sent me a message.
because fw is different, it different for build-in memory, gps, or not build-in without gps.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/c3vo8f

Best wishes,
Lia

I shared the firmware via DropBox too in case the sendspace link goes away.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo4cqll7r1fe6di/firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin

Lia knows which camera I have so it appears they now have a 20130924 for newer cameras too. (not just older TS models) She could be mistaken though, we'll see.
I'll try in in the next hour or so, stand by for my results!

Last edited:
AliExpress Givoe just sent me a message.
because fw is different, it different for build-in memory, gps, or not build-in without gps.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/c3vo8f

Best wishes,
Lia

I shared the firmware via DropBox too in case the sendspace link goes away.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo4cqll7r1fe6di/firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin

Lia knows which camera I have so it appears they now have a 20130924 for newer cameras too. (not just older TS models) She could be mistaken though, we'll see.
I'll try in in the next hour or so, stand by for my results!

Placed firmware root of microSD, powered on, prompted for firmware update yes/no (pressed yes)
Processing... *hiss hiss hiss* (static white noise) and camera powered off (solid red led)
Powered back on, Russian Language asking for firmware update. (pressed NET "no")
Went into menu, found Language choices (4th option from the bottom) Changed back to English
Changed all the usual stuff back, GPS set to "OPEN" (aka On as in Open Faucet)

I'm not sure this is the right firmware, the G-SENSOR CALIBRATION doesn't work.
It gets stuck on "PLEASE KEEP MACHINE STILL"
I'm going to let Givoe know.

Anyway time to let the card record until it's full and we'll see what happens. I formatted the card via 0801 menu first too.
Here we go....... (using 32GB Class 4 card)

Last edited:
Any place on ebay to buy this other than eprance? My first one broke and eprance has not helped me so I need to buy another.

How did it break?, e-prance not responding or is it past the 90 day warranty?

Any place on ebay to buy this other than eprance? My first one broke and eprance has not helped me so I need to buy another.

Hi guys,

I bought the 0801 from eprance on ebay. It has firmware 20130924 and I'm using a Class 4 32gb Sandisk card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B004G606Q2)

It's been working fine for the last few days but today I've been getting "low card speed" and "storage error" and it turns itself off :(
Is there a quick fix for this? I'm going to try formatting the card in the camera again, but this was the first thing I did when I got the card so I'm guessing it won't help.

Thanks in advance,

Jez

If the error is rally because of low card speed, then switching to 720p should alleviate this until you buy a faster (class 6?) card. an you let us know the results

Hi guys,

I bought the 0801 from eprance on ebay. It has firmware 20130924 and I'm using a Class 4 32gb Sandisk card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004G606Q2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's been working fine for the last few days but today I've been getting "low card speed" and "storage error" and it turns itself off :(
Is there a quick fix for this? I'm going to try formatting the card in the camera again, but this was the first thing I did when I got the card so I'm guessing it won't help.

Thanks in advance,

Jez

Hi guys,

I bought the 0801 from eprance on ebay. It has firmware 20130924 and I'm using a Class 4 32gb Sandisk card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B004G606Q2)

Thanks in advance,

Jez

It sounds like you have the same problem as everyone else. I just got a hold of the 20130924 firmware update. (see my previous posts on this page) I'm letting my camera record until it's full the next few hours. I'll then power it off, and power it back on. If it fails it will behave exactly how you described above! (not fun right?)

Until they sort out the firmware, the only option is to format the card often so it's not full. The problem only happens once the card is full and looped/recycle mode begins.

I'll test my Class 10 card too if my Class 4 one fails.

Yes, there is also CLOSE on mine also, my understanding of this, is that CLOSE means OFF, ie G Sensor OFF so files will not get locked if there is a shock applied depending upon the setting 2G to 5G.

When I have had this switched off, then when the 0801 starts to record, there is no LOCK symbol on the display. Manually pressing the down button causes the LOCK symbol to come on for approx 3mins.

When the G sensor is on and set between 2G and 5G as soon as it starts recording either when when power is applied or manually pressing the OK button the lock symbol appears, and you cannot override it by pressing the down button

Checking the files in the camera, all files when the G sensor is on are LOCKED.

I'm not sure how that G force indicator works in Registrator, I assume its supposed to show what forces are being applied to the car at the time the video is recorded, so if your going round a sharp bend for example, or if braking hard, it may indicate this. I think that's the theory anyway.

In view of the fact the lock seems to function okay when the G sensor is turned off, does suggest its a hardware fault with the G sensor itself. Personally myself, if it was working okay with it turned off, I probably wouldn't bother returning it, but that's just me.

It sounds like you have the same problem as everyone else. I just got a hold of the 20130924 firmware update. (see my previous posts on this page) I'm letting my camera record until it's full the next few hours. I'll then power it off, and power it back on. If it fails it will behave exactly how you described above! (not fun right?)

Until they sort out the firmware, the only option is to format the car often so it's not full. The problem only happens once the card is full and looped/recycle mode begins.

I'll test my Class 10 card too if my Class 4 one fails.

I started reading this thread after googling "0801 low speed error" and saw a lot of discussion about it which seemed like it was getting somewhere. I thought the answer might be buried somewhere within the 74 pages! :(

The only thing that I can contribute to this thread is that my camera seemed to start behaving strangely after I moved my car from one side a car park to another, so it was quite rapidly turned on then turned off. Maybe coincidence...maybe not.

Oh and I didn't mention, by camera does not have GPS and I don't think it has internal memory.

Edit: And it records in .MOV

Back