Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I have removed this from the "best bang for your buck" list. I know many people are very happy with their Mini 0801's but I was under the impression the latest firmware was stable (which does not appear to be the case).

Perhaps the manufacturer should go back to selling the TS firmware with 12Mbps bit rate since there were very few firmware complaints from early owners of this camera.

Maybe a good idea, but which manufacturer...? I think because these cameras are made by at least 3 or more manufacturers in China is likely the main reason there is so much variation on users experiences. Quality of components or subtle hardware differences, and possibly QC all play a part, whether you get a good version or not.
I can only reiterate that 2 out of the 3 I've bought have been trouble free for several weeks, and I've been able to resolve the odd issue with the first camera, the fact that same camera other than a issue with a poor mini USB connection has been running almost constantly 24/7 for 2 months as a home security camera is actually quite surprising. I certainly expected it to packup ages ago.

I cannot emphasise enough to users to ensure the mini USB connector makes a good connection, as they do seem loose on most of my mini USB cables, leading me to think the power sockets they have used could have been much better quality.

Ultimately it's in the sellers of the camera own interest, to ensure they source from known good manufacturers.
If they are unable to make them reliable working with .Mov files then they should revert back to using .TS files. Or stop selling them altogether. However the fact there are people who have had no problems, suggests that it's a bit hit n miss.

The E-Prance GPS only versions latest firmware 20131026 should be with me by tomorrow hopefully, as they have obtained a copy from the factory they buy from and are forwarding it to me... No idea what improvements or changes they have made since the 20130913 GPS only firmware, which has worked okay for me anyway.

Lucky me, my mini 0801 is bricked. Not turning on anymore.
Up till now i am able to connect in direct usb and flash the .elf file but after writing it ends with an error.
Probably wrong firmware file. Does anyone know were to get more .elf firmware for the standard version mini 0801? Without gps and no internal 8gb?
I am already in contact with givoe but this is a one message a day communication. :)

Lucky me, my mini 0801 is bricked. Not turning on anymore.
Up till now i am able to connect in direct usb and flash the .elf file but after writing it ends with an error.
Probably wrong firmware file. Does anyone know were to get more .elf firmware for the standard version mini 0801? Without gps and no internal 8gb?
I am already in contact with givoe but this is a one message a day communication. :)

There is a few posts by a forum member in France with loads of pics who bricked his camera due to wrong firmware for his hardware version, and he managed to recover it using a special OTG USB cable, It has two of the usb pins connected and apparently it puts the camera into a development recovery mode, and allows you to reflash it.
It's covered in a few pages in this long thread, somewhere around Pages 60 to 80.. try a search.
I'm afraid I cannot recall the members username. Otherwise it's back to Giveo assuming they will swap it of course.

Yes i have done all the steps and after writing which takes around 5 minutes u wil see a dos box popup. Something with set filter. The direct usb program tries to reconnect after this but fails. Probably the device does not boot up because of wrong firmware file for my hardware. Like I posted before, the rom that was on the device was from 20130409. Probably old fw = old hardware.

I had the problem once. the flash is ok but not detected but usbdirect. Can you try a reset? Push and hold the power buton for 15sec on the cam until the blue light go off? If not working try launching USB direct with admin rights.

Yes i have done that a few times, usb direct tells me the device is in boot mode so I can write again. I have tried different files but none work. I think after direct usb is done writing the device the device should go on but that does not happen. Direct usb gives me a fail after the dos boxes popup a few times. Edit: I've done the admin rights as well.

I did get the very same error.the cam didn t go on automaticly after flash. A reset of the cam did the trick. Hold the power buton for 15~20 sec. I used the elf on the faq and removed chineese caracters from the elf file.

Well I have just ordered the Mini 0801 dash-cam from e-prance on amazon. should be here tomorrow. I want to run it side by side with the DR550GW and then post the videos Online.

I did get the very same error.the cam didn t go on automaticly after flash. A reset of the cam did the trick. Hold the power buton for 15~20 sec. I used the elf on the faq and removed chineese caracters from the elf file.

When the flash ends with an error the blue light stays on. I did hold down the power button and the light goes of but i am still unable to start the dvr. It does not responde to the power button. I am able to put it back in the flashing mode. I did remove the chinese characters or else flashing is not possible. I think my dvr is not compatible with the .elf files that is found on the web.

Seems you have to ask for the elf version of the original firmware.
That's strange because i flashed my cam with plenty firmwares and the only thing that wasn't working was the G sensor or brick but i was able to unbrick it each time.

ive also noticed when recording and you press the lock button to lock the clip that is when you get the storage io error and the low speed error, im on 0913fw just testing it with formatted card and without locking the clips to see if it gives any errors , i no another member found that when locking the clips they get the errors any other people had this and is there a fix?

ive also noticed when recording and you press the lock button to lock the clip that is when you get the storage io error and the low speed error, im on 0913fw just testing it with formatted card and without locking the clips to see if it gives any errors , i no another member found that when locking the clips they get the errors any other people had this and is there a fix?

I have 2 camera currently on E-Prance 0913 (GPS only) firmware, and I tested for this problem of giving errors when locking clips, when other users mentioned it, but neither of my two cams displayed any issues. When pressed, the lock icon comes on and stays on by about 2mins before going off. IOW it locked 2x 1min clips.

If yours is GPS only and sourced from E-Prance, I should have the 20131026 firmware available for that camera later, but have no idea what changes they have made. (if any)

mines the GPS only from GIVOE , what can i say, i was reading your reply lunar and i thought i would try it again so i pressed the lock button, all was ok the lock icon came on then after its time went off but carried on recording i didn't get the storage io error, strange, seems to be ok now, i never use the lock feature but its nice to no its works if its ment to

mines the GPS only from GIVOE , what can i say, i was reading your reply lunar and i thought i would try it again so i pressed the lock button, all was ok the lock icon came on then after its time went off but carried on recording i didn't get the storage io error, strange, seems to be ok now, i never use the lock feature but its nice to no its works if its ment to

Yes.. know what you mean I've never used the lock feature either in normal use. One's things for sure, some of these camera's are about as stable as a 3 legged horse...lol I've obviously been lucky with mine, though the 1st one did have a faulty up switch which after opening the camera I fixed myself, and that 1st one in particular has always seemed to be a bit fussy with usb cables, but less of an issue with the other 2 I bought. Though I always now make the mini usb plug a little tighter fit on all the cables I use with this camera, as I know from experience it can cause some weird symptoms.

The problem with these firmware's is that we don't know whether Giveo source their camera's from the same factory as E-Prance do, and we also don't know if there are any internal hardware difference between the camera's from two main sellers. Basically this has been one of the main issues with these camera's, 'simply not knowing'. Just because they appear to look alike, doesn't mean they are the same internally spec wise.
Which doesn't help users trying to resolve issues by trying to upgrade to a later firmware, the wisest thing is to try and get Giveo to supply the latest version firmware they use, as the only way to tell if they are exactly the same is to run a checksum on both files.
It would also be prudent if the mini 0801 FAQ separated the firmware versions from each of the 2 main sellers, if it already does that then fair enough.

Last edited:
the cam had done it again low speed error and storage io error, but i have noticed this only happens when the card 15gb full (on a 32gb card) so im wondering if my card is problem

Seems you have to ask for the elf version of the original firmware.
That's strange because i flashed my cam with plenty firmwares and the only thing that wasn't working was the G sensor or brick but i was able to unbrick it each time.

Givoe has send me another .elf file but it also does not work.
You have some experience in programming trough direct USB so i have a question..
I have the Ambarella evaluation board 1.2.3.0 in my hardware list but seconds before and during writing it disapears from the hardware list. Does the same thing happen to you?

can you take a screenshot of the options you have selected in the USB updater program and post it here please

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back