Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

onemanshow said:
Jon,

Sorry about that being the wrong link....let me try this one, although your new link for the confirmed .MOV looks more updated. It appears similar:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/258323517.html

Yes/no/maybe?

Thx!

I'm not familiar with Shenzhen Betterking Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
China (Mainland) (Guangdong)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/204251

Send them a message asking.

Shenzhen Givoe Technology Co., Ltd is the recommended one now:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I have......twice. No response, hence my asking here on this forum. My spidey senses are kicking in, perhaps it's my suspicious nature? Regardless, if mine turns out to be a dud, ill get yours assuming yours works as advertised now that I see your link and product description are clearer.

Thx!!

Hey Jaz,

Day video is Ok.
Night video is so-so. Honestly I am not impressed...

Is Listing clearly states MOV?

How long did it take to be delivered?
How much is shipping back to China?

Are you able to view .TS movies with your default player?
I am downloading one of your raw .TS files right now and gonna see what I can do with that...

Where is the stamp anyway? :)

How does it feel overall?
Nicely or cheaply made?

Keep in mind that nowadays EVERYTHING is made in China. BUT one Chinese product is WAY DIFFERENT from another.
Considering distance, when you just can NOT simply throw it back at them, its just hit or miss game.

THAT'S WHY I joined this forum. To find better products.

Ok, for the purpose of being small and discreet this camera is Ok.
For the quality AND handling files I would probably send it back and get me a MOV version, if not other camera.

Its up to you.

I just was able to play your .TS file in Windows Media Player without any problems. Not Bad.
So based on 380 MB per 5 min clip you will be able to record roughly 7 hours of footage on 32 GB card.
Which is also not THAT bad.

I think if those dead pixels are not really bothering you, like myself, and you find night video quality is acceptable, this camera is a Keeper.

almaz said:
I just was able to play your .TS file in Windows Media Player without any problems. Not Bad.
So based on 380 MB per 5 min clip you will be able to record roughly 7 hours of footage on 32 GB card.

I think if those dead pixels are not really bothering you, like myself, and you find night video quality is acceptable, this camera is a Keeper.

-TS not compatible in RegistratorViewer the way I want to use it. (when it's time to save the clip you want to keep as one combined file) It reads all the 5 minute chunks fine, and even shows the GPS track, but you can't export to a single combined file
-TS is not compatible in iPad/iPhone (needs to be mp4 or mov) Again having an industry standard MOV or MP4 is a must. (as I said the descriptions even say MOV, but it comes with TS)
So yeah playing a 5 minute chunk in VLC player is fine, but I expected MOV and got TS. The work around of converting TS to MP4 via VideoRedo works for now, but I'd gladly buy a new camera that has native MOV (and I did, it's on the way!)
True, I can live with the pixals but it's still annoying. My new AliExpress Givoe order sales person said they would pre check my unit to find one free of stuck pixels and for sure has new fixed .MOV firmware.
Night quality is acceptable but not outstanding. (I'll be waiting to see what Jokiin puts out)
good day for you :)
sorry to tell you that our new arrival mini 0801 with video .TS , not MOV
sorry for you :)
and if need more help please just contact us freely
best regards
lynn
FTW

Update from e-Bay e-prance (the first cam I got)
Hello jon,
We have a new batch of the model, I have checked and i am sorry to tell you it's still the TS version, while thanks for your news, we will contact the factury to consult your question.
To kindly inform you, Pls do not use any firmware to update your DVR, it is useless, and will make your DVR damaged. So pls note.
If the MOV version come out on the market after the confirmation of our factury, i will email you the good news.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Demi

almaz said:
Hey Jaz,

Day video is Ok.
Night video is so-so. Honestly I am not impressed...

Is Listing clearly states MOV?

How long did it take to be delivered?
How much is shipping back to China?

Are you able to view .TS movies with your default player?
I am downloading one of your raw .TS files right now and gonna see what I can do with that...

Where is the stamp anyway? :)

How does it feel overall?
Nicely or cheaply made?

Keep in mind that nowadays EVERYTHING is made in China. BUT one Chinese product is WAY DIFFERENT from another.
Considering distance, when you just can NOT simply throw it back at them, its just hit or miss game.

THAT'S WHY I joined this forum. To find better products.

Ok, for the purpose of being small and discreet this camera is Ok.
For the quality AND handling files I would probably send it back and get me a MOV version, if not other camera.

Its up to you.

The night video I made was taken in an area WAY too dark. (most all cams will fail there) I'll post some city night time driving soon, like with more street lights and signs etc.
Yes the marketing people put that out since the firmware wasn't finalized. From what I understand (basked on Jokiin) the OEM hardware/software dev had some kind of bug preventing MOV from working reliably in loop/recycle recording mode so made it record TS as a work around. The marketing material was never updated as you can see! They probably left it up since they knew a fix was on the way at some point, or just out of sheer low budget/details over looked. I don't expect to buy electronics made in the USA these days. Designed by Apple, Made in China is the best I can do! (love my iPhone 5) And yes this is the best SUPER compact dash-cam I''ve seen WITH GPS. Mobus is great but no GPS. Yes I have a new one on the way that does MOV. I'm going to return the other if i can ship it back for free. (through them, or using friends FedEx connection) or else sell it on eBay as is.

almaz said:

Here is a recording time calculator:
http://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator-added/

10 MBps @ 32GB = 7.3 hours (perfect)

I'll post better lit active area night videos soon driving around the city, I'll post more FUN daytime videos going across the golden gate bridge, driving along the coast, and up/down curvy hills.

New update from e-prance:

Got news from the factury as follows:

1, ★ About the updating software: there are two kinds of this model, the one you brought with the function of GPS logger, and the other one is without GPS.
It is true that the item without GPS has the software to updating, While the software for the GPS one sill nonexistent, it is still unstable with GPS model.
But it is great that the factury is studying and improving this problem, they said it will quickly been developed. And then we are able to send you the software.

2. ★ About the MOV version. The lastest news: the factury is producing the MOV version of the 801DVR with GPS, we can get the item after about 15 days.
while right now the item has not yet been produced, so i don't know your order from Aliexpress is form which country, Very few factories produce this
item.

3.★ About your item return: In order to offer better service to our customers, we provide the 14 day return policy. Hope you can understand us , every company has it's rules, so it is difficult for us the break the rules, We go through many procedures in terms of operating refunds and return. I am sorry i can't confirm when you will receive your new order, If you want to return back after 14 days, pls use the cheapest delivery way without tracking number, so it will cheaper, Notes( pls keep it on good condition and don't affect the sales).

Thanks for your patiance to read so long a email.

Demi

I went ahead and sent this info to my AliExpress GIVOE sales person asking to confirm the GPS vs non-GPS. Hopefully I didn't just place an order for something that can't be fulfilled !
The good news is a firmware is in the works to fix all models! (at some point)

This is turning out to be quite the adventure

Wow the updates keep flowing!

Good news...............

GIVOE Sales:
02:29 Aug 29,2013
Thank you Jon, we got the news, factory test its' stability ,
they updated both, gps one and without gps, both fit,
also we will got it on next Wednesday, so before ship out,
I will check it, if possible, I will take photo for you to make sure, ok?
Best wishes,
Lia

Me:
02:32 Aug 29,2013
Thanks! yes please try it out, I don't mind if the stickers are removed etc for testing. Excellent news! I'll let everyone know in the forums to buy from you once it's confirmed good. (so all this communication is worth it for both of us)
Thanks again! You're the best.
Jon

GIVOE Sales:
02:34 Aug 29,2013
Thank you, Jon,
when I got it, will make it for you.
hope you will enjoy it.
Have a nice day^.^
Lia

Another update from e-prance after letting them know..................

Your satisfaction is my motivation.

I found the Alibaba Store is also located in ShenZhen China, As far as i know, just one factory produced this item here, and we have cooperation for many years

The Alibaba said the MOV version will come out, I believe we will get this good news soon.

Waiting for the good news.

Thanks again.

Demi

Jaz,

Looks like E-Prance IS working with you!
That's good! I wonder if they know about this forum?
Did you mention it to them? Or you think they don't care?

Can you make a night clip with stamp, please?
So it has a option either with OR without stamp?

I also wonder if other cameras, like GT550W that I ordered, have option Stamp ON and OFF?

almaz said:
Can you make a night clip with stamp, please?
So it has a option either with OR without stamp?

I also wonder if other cameras, like GT550W that I ordered, have option Stamp ON and OFF?

You can turn on date, time, gps data, or "driver number" stamps in the settings page. (you can enter an 8 letter word)

The GPS .log files are still generated no matter which on screen stamps are selected. Because of this I decided to leave everything OFF. The better option is to use RegistratorViewer to create a combined video of the part you want to share. RegistratorViewer embeds the GPS data into the .MP4 file even! I also check the box that creates a .SRT (subtitles file) that you can upload to your youtube clip separately. http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
VLC Player will see the .SRT file as a subtitle track as well.

Per your request here are a few new Twilight and Night time city driving sample clips. I turned on various stamps so you can see what it looks like hard embedded to video.

I need to fix the vibration cord rattle still or what ever it is. The youtube video might be blocked in some countries since I was playing music. (but you can download the raw files)

-I converted the .TS files to .MP4 via Video ReDo. (lossless instant container conversion, took 1 second per file) This step will be skipped once I get my new version that records to .MOV instead of .TS
-I then used RegistratorViewer to pick out a few select clips. It created the nice .SRT files I can upload to youtube as CC (closed captions)

Twilight Fragment of AMBA0018-19 (7-40-28 PM - 7-44-19 PM)
Raw MP4 file (lossless .TS container conversion via VideoReDo H.264)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5gfxot2c... of AMBA0018-19 (7-40-28 PM - 7-44-19 PM).zip
Youtube: (turn on/off CC)

Market Street at Night Fragment of AMBA0024 (8-37-22 PM - 8-39-20 PM)
Raw MP4 file (lossless .TS container conversion via VideoReDo)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u7n6v6ok...ent of AMBA0024 (8-37-22 PM - 8-39-20 PM).zip

City Night (DateTime GPS Stamps) Fragment of AMBA0028 (9-00-19 PM - 9-01-32 PM)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmtyoln1x...ent of AMBA0028 (9-00-19 PM - 9-01-32 PM).zip

Driver Stamp on Fragment of AMBA0029
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mgqwcxfj6k1700/Driver Stamp on Fragment of AMBA0029.zip

Getting on Freeway at NightFragment of AMBA0032 (9-08-31 PM - 9-12-06 PM)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aao9t09u0...ent of AMBA0032 (9-08-31 PM - 9-12-06 PM).zip

I created a new thread in the DIY section

Polarizing Filter to Reduce Windshield Dashboard Reflections
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343 <~~~~~~~~~~

My goal is to eliminate the dashboard reflection show here:
nGKuAAk.jpg

You'll see several before and after examples that I hope to duplicate.
Polarizing Filter to Reduce Windshield Dashboard Reflections
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343 <~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Using http://www.makexyz.com/ I made friends with someone in San Francisco that has a 3D printer! I'm going to custom make an adapter ring, and stick on the metal adapter ring that let's a 36mm "MagFilter" quickly attach/rotate.
It will also fit my Pansonic DMC-ZS30 so I'll get dual use. I should be able to use this on any future DashCam's as well.
EDIT: Whoops maybe it won't fit the ZS30, I just read one review that says "For the 36mm MagFilter, the metal ring that adheres to the front of the lens barrel has an outside diameter of 32mm and an internal diameter of 28mm. "
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0093YC6MESo yeah here is a template of the 36mm MagFilter metal ring adapter (which again is only 32mm) on my Mini 0801 Ambarella.
DQL3YI5m.jpg

my scissor skills are no match for a 3D printer!
NuplStgm.jpg

I might be able to get away with not 3D printing anything (add my own rectangle base with hole), but I still want to try 3D printing something so might as well go for it! (fun times)
The floor needs to be brought up to the height of the lens at the very least. (guessing) I'm up for the challenge

I'm presuming this is the same camera...
mini dvr 0801

He seems to think this is the best thing since sliced bread.

sludgeguts said:
mini dvr 0801

same one, noticed the seller he linked to advertises it as MOV yet it's the TS version, playback software looks better than normal for TS versions though

sludgeguts said:
mini dvr 0801

Wow I think I picked the right camera if Techmoan himself is using it as his full time camera! Excellent review. He even says "This is my favourite dash-cam so far"
And yes this camera is now known as the mini 0801

-He describes how to get the correct time via GPS using the offset. at 13m35s
-You know I never tried the DVD that came with my 0801, it probably has that same special playback software shown. (I'll get mine out and try it)
-He verified his audio is also satisfactory
-His firmware is 20130617 (1 month older than mine)
-He lists sample clips, they are in .TS not .MOV as expected. (I'll let him know about what we discovered on that, and to come to page 31 of this thread)
-People are saying the NZ site he bought it from doesn't have the GPS module. I also let the youtubers know about the Givoe AliExpress store. (and they are shipping the new .MOV firmware)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

One guy already replied to my youtube post, what' he mean????

"lacrossetechnology 42 seconds ago: Wrong Chip set... the one above is the latest."

I responded with:

"JazJon 1 second ago: Wrong Chip set how? Givoe from AliExpress confirmed they have the mini 0801 with Ambarella A2S60 + OV2710 sensor. It also has the newer September firmware that records in H.264 .MOV instead of .TS"

EDIT: I think lacrossetechnology is possibly the NW re-seller and he was trying to say that the "Smallest Ambarella" was not the same as the "mini 0801" I only said to google for Smallest Ambarella DaskCamTalk to find this thread. As I said we all know this camera is officially called the mini 0801 now! It is the latest chipset, nothing to do with the older 720P cousin etc. Audio problem has been fixed, and firmware update will make us happy with .mov soon! The NZ store says Brand: Apple (LoL) ??

I ended up replacing the mic with one from a spare handsfree headset. Sound seems fine now

irononreverse said:
I ended up replacing the mic with one from a spare handsfree headset. Sound seems fine now

Excellent! I'm glad the new units don't have the old mic problem. You can tell the gain has been cranked down a bit though.

"Techmoan 3 hours ago
A few things. Firstly I forgot to mention the camera starts recording very quickly..approx 8 secs after power on. I'll re-iterate if you want brilliant sound quality on your car cam, then look elsewhere, this one often blows-out"

JazJon said:
I'll re-iterate if you want brilliant sound quality on your car cam, then look elsewhere, this one often blows-out"

I think the problem for this cam (aside from the previous problem some users noted) is the actual mic placement being less than ideal more than anything else, sometimes there are compromises that get made when you want to make something as small as possible

@LE55ONS on youtube has a great idea.
"I wired my dashcam into the live feed for my interior light. As a bonus it starts recording when I unlock and continues recording for 5 minutes after the car has been locked"

I'm going to try that as well. Dome lights usually have 3 switches. On(with doors open)/On any time/Off

I noticed if I accidentally leave my Dome light "On, any time mode" and walk away, my Smart Car will still shut off the light 5'ish minutes later. (I need to time it, been a while)

I'm thinking if I power my 0801 off of this same line, I'll get the extra bit of recording when I park and walk away. Sounds good in theory !
(and should start recording as soon as I remote unlock)

jokiin said:
playback software looks better than normal

I didn't even think to look at the mini DVD that came along with my 0801. The playback software shown in the review is on it.
http://youtu.be/ZdPHXv8Hzj8?t=16m41s <~~~ 16m41s mark

Here's a copy for everyone else that might have missed it. It was very hard for my laptop DVD drive to read actually.

There are only two files on the whole disc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rxbgrnuvj6f1 ... IT_MPH.exe

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jmjoi0ghrw5q ... IT_KMH.exe

The "website" icon in the lower left redirects you to winavi.com

So yeah it's not all that great, you're much better off using http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back