Smallest HD 720p killing sd cards

Krookz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. Sweet site... ran across it looking for a replacement for this piece of crap camera I picked up off ebay. For some reason the China guy shipped me two and only charged me for one. It also happens that both are junk, one has a crap battery... dosnt save time and dosnt save last recording. The other one has a good battery and saves the last recording, but freezes almost every ride and it kills micro sd cards. Kills as in shorts them out I guess... PC, phone, tablet wont recognise them at all. If you put them in the cam it says memory full. Ugh! The one with the bad battery actually overlaps the video, which was awesome. While im trying to return this thing im searching out a new... its past the 7 days btw because the guy never responds. Anyone had sd card issues like me? Any fix?

Im eyeing up the DVR 027 720p

A pure guess vaguely based on previous experience with a completely different piece of hardware is that the camera is not regulating the voltage given to the SD card properly and the card is either being under or, more likely, over-volted due to poor voltage regulation in the camera. You would expect the camera to regulate the voltage supplied to the SD card properly, but in the off-chance that it doesn't, and uses something like a voltage divider, is the voltage outputted by the cigarette lighter adapter what the camera is expecting?

Krookz said:
Hey guys. Sweet site... ran across it looking for a replacement for this piece of crap camera I picked up off ebay. For some reason the China guy shipped me two and only charged me for one. It also happens that both are junk, one has a crap battery... dosnt save time and dosnt save last recording. The other one has a good battery and saves the last recording, but freezes almost every ride and it kills micro sd cards. Kills as in shorts them out I guess... PC, phone, tablet wont recognise them at all. If you put them in the cam it says memory full. Ugh! The one with the bad battery actually overlaps the video, which was awesome. While im trying to return this thing im searching out a new... its past the 7 days btw because the guy never responds. Anyone had sd card issues like me? Any fix?

Im eyeing up the DVR 027 720p

Some inexpensive cheap dash cams are just garbage. There is nothing you can do about it other than replace the camera. Some of those no-name memory cards are garbage. I would stick with tried and proven memory cards from Sandisk. I have many cards from them and I have never had any issues. When it comes to dash cams, cheap is not always good. I would suggest that you spend some time researching this site and YouTube for a nice quality camera. You might pay a little more than you might want to pay, but it will last. If you have an iPhone, there are some dash cam apps in the app store. I have used thes a few times, but my iPhone 4s overheats every time I use these apps. I have not tried an android based p hone, just an iPhone. These dvr apps a only $1. I do not use them because I don't want my phone to over heat and cause damage.

Thanks for the responses. I was using samsung sd cards, I figured the camera toasted them... bummer. Thats what I get for going out on a limb and giving a product a try! Think my next purchase is going to be a DVR 027 720p, which is reviewed here and some other places. Seems decent :geek:

Hi Krookz,

The Smallest HD 720p camera is what I consider a "dash cam lottery". You might get a good one or you might get a bad one. When it was introduced, the vast majority of these cameras were bad but apparently the newer versions have been improved. It seems like quality control is just not there yet. The DVR 027 has a much better reputation and the cameras for the most part are good (there are the occasional duds as well but the % appears quite low).

That's good to hear, I was planning on ordering one today. Thanks!

I had to get ebay involved to get response from the guy. Im returning it for a refund

Hi Krookz,

Glad you got a refund. Let us know how your new camera is.

Back