Start/Stop interfering with Dashcam

mrpineapples

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-9. I have the B1W and Hardwire kit (two wire, red and red with black stripe). I have wired the cam into the power steering fuse (slot 8) which has always on power. I have also flashed the B1W with the parking mode firmware.

Two problems:

1. When the car comes to a stop in traffic, the istop function of the Mazda engages and stops the engine. Up to the stop and during the stop, the dashcam led is red flashing, showing that is it recording but without wifi on. When the Mazda restarts the engine, the dashcam starts up again, solid green led and it states it has found an sd card. During this startup, the camera doesn't operate and I'm loosing video coverage. Has anyone seen this happen to them?

2. When I park the car in my garage and turn the engine off, the dashcam keeps recording (red flashing led). It doesn't go into parking mode. I have left the car and come back 10 minutes later (it should switch to parking mode after 3 minutes) and it is still red light flashing. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks

Last edited:
Two wire, red and red with black stripe.
Suggest this 3-wires hardwire kit for B1W. Red wire to 12v always-on socket; Black wire to GND, and Yellow wire No connection!

Not sure how that will help? Not connecting the yellow wire would be the same as not having a yellow wire (which is my case).
The red wire from a 2-wire hardwire kit should tap to a switched fuse, but not to the 12v always-on socket!

Stop/start systems can be troublesome for dashcams. The momentary voltage drop at 'start' can turn off a hardwire kit if it drops low enough, and not all hardwire kits have circuitry which requires a time-delay before low-voltage-cutoff occurs. I think Street Guardian HWK's have that and maybe Viofo's HK3 too. I cannot assure that these will work with the B1W. A similar problem occurs when the alternator stops, as the HWK will sense that and shut down, or enter parking mode if it's a 3-wire type. There is also now THIS DEVICE made to eliminate the problem. Some people simply run their cams on a powerbank instead which is probably the simplest solution.

My early 2-wire B1W HWK was not too sensitive to voltage drop but I'm sure it wouldn't sustain the time involved with start/stop. The 3-wire HWK I have for their B2W cam is very sensitive to voltage drop and without adjustable low-voltage cutoff mine shuts down at engine idle with headlights on so I know it wouldn't work well here either. @jokiin might be able to let us know if his HWK's are compatible with the B1W and if they'd help with stop/start issues.

Phil

Stop/start systems can be troublesome for dashcams. The momentary voltage drop at 'start' can turn off a hardwire kit if it drops low enough, and not all hardwire kits have circuitry which requires a time-delay before low-voltage-cutoff occurs. I think Street Guardian HWK's have that and maybe Viofo's HK3 too. I cannot assure that these will work with the B1W. A similar problem occurs when the alternator stops, as the HWK will sense that and shut down, or enter parking mode if it's a 3-wire type. There is also now THIS DEVICE made to eliminate the problem. Some people simply run their cams on a powerbank instead which is probably the simplest solution.

My early 2-wire B1W HWK was not too sensitive to voltage drop but I'm sure it wouldn't sustain the time involved with start/stop. The 3-wire HWK I have for their B2W cam is very sensitive to voltage drop and without adjustable low-voltage cutoff mine shuts down at engine idle with headlights on so I know it wouldn't work well here either. @jokiin might be able to let us know if his HWK's are compatible with the B1W and if they'd help with stop/start issues.

Phil
Thanks Phil. this all makes sense.

Often there are 2 types of HWK's- a 2-wire and a 3-wire. The 2-wire kits only turn the cam on and off with the ignition switch. The 3-wire kits are needed for parking mode switching. The seller may not have made this clear enough.

Phil

Often there are 2 types of HWK's- a 2-wire and a 3-wire. The 2-wire kits only turn the cam on and off with the ignition switch. The 3-wire kits are needed for parking mode switching. The seller may not have made this clear enough.

Phil
The parking mode firmware takes care of the switching from normal record to parking mode. It does this by checking the G-sensor. If there is no input from the G-sensor for 3 minutes, it is supposed to drop into parking mode. Unfortunately this isn't working for me. I was wondering if anyone has installed this firmware and had the same issue I am having?

you do have the G-Sensor turned on yeah?

will it lock files as expected in normal recording mode?

Back