STEALTH Rear camera Street Guardian SGZC12RC, Panorama X2 Custom made set-up for VW Passat B6 / 3C

First, thank you for allowing me to join. I would love to do the same thing but have a problem. The camera can't see through the limo tint on the back window. Can I trim out just enough for the camera lens to "see" out the back?
I have a 2006 Honda Element, Pioneer AVH 4100NEX and Clarion CC520 camera. The camera does not allow for adjustments. Any ideas appreciated.

Welcome to forum.
Just to clarify, what exactly are you plan to trim out, tint or something else?

Maaaaaan. I just finished installing the Clarion and have the broken nails and scrapes to prove it. I pulled the trim panels in the rear, fished the cable through the rear gate, into the rubber electrical tube, then along the roof liner. Then put everything back. It looks factory. Nice and clean. I was thinking of gluing an o-ring around the lens and cutting a suitable hole in the tint. Mine looks like the photo but the tint is darker.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
Maybe a new, bigger 3rd brake light with the camera inside?

First, thank you for allowing me to join. I would love to do the same thing but have a problem. The camera can't see through the limo tint on the back window. Can I trim out just enough for the camera lens to "see" out the back?

That has to be some of the most hardcore tint i've heard of in a while. You're sure the glass isn't painted, then?

Take a look of a 5% LLumar ATC film, in 5am in the morning..
It's easy to see through from the inside, even by the RV-cam, but totally black on the outside.
Btw the Llumar ATC5 is by far the darkest film i've run with in all my cars.

vlcsnap-5213-07-13-14h38m53s338.png
IMG_20170405_153305.jpg

Even the 3M CS5 (That's also a 5% tint) i did on my Vento, isn't as black as the Llumar on the inside, but equally as black from the outside.
IMG_20160221_122849.jpg

OK. I'm and idiot. The grainy image was because it was dark in the garage and outside. Here is a daylight image.
Still going to modify the 3rd brake light like the photo below. I have ordered an LED strip.
Will cut it in half and mount the camera in the middle. If I fab a plexi U channel and put the LED strip on the bottom of the U, it will be very stealthy.
The U channel will be 1 1/2" id at the back so the camera can tilt down and the top and bottom will be cut to the curve of the back window.
I will ask my tint guy to remove the tint under the new light after I have finished
fabricating the light. If I use the old clip in plug from the current brake light, it will be plug and play.

Attachments

• BUC DAYLIGHT_WEB.jpg
    BUC DAYLIGHT_WEB.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 31
  • LED BRAKE LIGHT.jpg
    LED BRAKE LIGHT.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi Niko.
Just the tint.

As I understand your Honda rear glass is almost 90 degree ?

2006-Honda-Element-EX.jpg

in this case if you mount RC camera the way it lens will be as close to the glass as possible (1-2mm away) they I assume you need to cut out only about 1.5 (max 2) cm. diameter hole in your tint.

Yes, almost 90 degrees. They don't call them boxy for 'nuthin.
I thought about an external camera but, I intend to have a cargo box on the rear hitch and, there really is no place to mount a camera and have it look factory. The angle of the camera, as it is now, will be ideal. I will adjust as needed.

Thanks for going green niko. (;
Superb job!
Any Ideas for a hidden install for the front cam?

Thanks for going green niko. (;
Superb job!
Any Ideas for a hidden install for the front cam?

Depends on the car make/model/year, type of inside rearview mirror housing where would be one the options to DIY install front camera.

It's nice work and all that but you could of had the rear 3/4 tinted or even retro fitted privacy glass and remained stealth and enjoyed the darker glass benefits .

Tinted glass has advantages and disadvantages, it does lower the performance of most cameras so there's some tradeoffs to be had

Yes, almost 90 degrees. They don't call them boxy for 'nuthin.
I thought about an external camera but, I intend to have a cargo box on the rear hitch and, there really is no place to mount a camera and have it look factory. The angle of the camera, as it is now, will be ideal. I will adjust as needed.
If you're gonna put a receiver hitch on your car it's pretty easy to use a 2" square cover that fits the hitch as the camera mount. Then fab up an extension cable and move it to the back of the cargo box when you have that attached. If your camera has wifi it's easy to use an external camera for reversing and parking.

I'll see if I can find an image or two when I get some time. Right now I'm about to walk out the door for a trip to the VA.

Ted

This camera was made for just backing and parking so it doesn't have the resolution you would want. I just want you to grasp what I'm talking about. Forget the camera and look at the mount. This would work but it's too exposed to damage from other vehicles backing and parking. Recessed into the hitch would be much better. Another 2" X 2" piece on the cargo box would allow you to use it with or without the cargo box. You would just need to fab a plug in extension cable the depth of the cargo box.
s-l400.jpg
Ted

Back