STEALTH Rear camera Street Guardian SGZC12RC, Panorama X2 Custom made set-up for VW Passat B6 / 3C

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
NB!
ANY DIY MAY VOID WARRANTY OF THE PRODUCT !
ACT ON YOUR OWN RISK !!!
....................................................................................

Panorama X2 rear camera ( 1080p ) is small in size and with factory bracket / mount can be installed quite discretely.
However, I wanted to get even more maximum stealth.

You can see below "before and after" set-up in my Volkswagen Passat B6 ( 3C )
P.S. - I am sure similar custom made set-up can be used on many other cars as well.

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (1).jpg

This is step by step project.

I took broken fridge freezer box flap and cut off "handle"-part which can "accommodate" 100% ( 1:1) Panorama X2 rear camera. It took me over 1 week to go trough test'n'try of different objects to find exact fit and shape what I needed, but finally found it and my project began :)

- cut needed length, which is matching the length of my VW B6 rear brake light, so after installation it will blend in and will be maximum stealth.

- filed down "ruff" edges.

- used fine grade sandpaper to remove gloss.

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (2).jpg

- removed original factory clear bracket / mount from camera housing ( for this you need to unscrew plastic "nut" on the side of camera body ).

- added small piece of paper hand-towel to the circle-cut electrical tape and "attached" it to the lens part to protect from scratches and other damage during rest steps of DIY.

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (3).jpg

- drilled centre hole
- using different file sizes / types I have achieved perfect fit of X2 rear camera into stealth custom housing.

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (4).jpg

- 1 layer of primer
- 2 layers of black matte paint

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (5).jpg

- painted

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (6).jpg

- ready for in-car installation.

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (7).jpg

Installed in-car

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (8).jpg

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (9).jpg

VW B6 Custom made X2 setup (10).jpg

Last edited:
Amazing work! Love it!

Brilliant!! You're amazing.
Gives me ideas to do something similar to cover my mobius. I'm afraid the wife will hate me after I have scavenged our kitchen appliances though.

Wow! That's very impressive. I love it. Very creative and resourceful.

Wow this is stunning you should manufacture this mount :D

Wow this is stunning you should manufacture this mount :D
I can make exactly the same as pictured ( or shorter ) upon request ;)

I would love to do this but I don't know where I'd get the weird little plastic piece you crafted. It looks great!

I would love to do this but I don't know where I'd get the weird little plastic piece you crafted. It looks great!
Thanks. Its from old broken fridge fruit box / freezer flap. I believe if go and look around in some garage-sale or flea-market, or check your attic you will be able to find some similar "raw material" which will suit this project.

First, thank you for allowing me to join. I would love to do the same thing but have a problem. The camera can't see through the limo tint on the back window. Can I trim out just enough for the camera lens to "see" out the back?
I have a 2006 Honda Element, Pioneer AVH 4100NEX and Clarion CC520 camera. The camera does not allow for adjustments. Any ideas appreciated.

There is no EV adjustment on this model (Zoran chipset SDK limitation) but the Sony IMX322 sensor does ok with light tint. (but not through heavy dark limo tint)

Back