Hi,

I am new to this dashcam "world".

Thank you, all of you for all recommendations and feedbacks. It is really helpful.

Looking around for the dual dashcam I have found this promising SG9663 and I will probably have it sooner or later.

Price being quite high for the moment, 350eur in Europe (100eur less in eastern Europe), I will probably wait for the added value of the full parking kit & solution, trying to find the FULL package at the fair price later (or when travelling to the east).

Waiting for this TOTAL dual channel & parking solution I am asking myself that maybe the alternative is to have two single channel dashcams, at least to start up, even willing to have the best like sg9663 immediately :)
The real life/budget is tough…

So maybe the choice for me will be either two A119S V2 or two AW1

A119s v2 : 2 x 105eur actually in France, but I should stay with it for a while as the investment is quick high too, so the SG9663 will be waiting… by the way maybe the advantage is 2 x imx291 (vs. imx291 + imx322 for the sg9663). Never know in traffic jams.

Cowon AW1 : maybe better compromising as offered for 2 x 37eur quite often at Amazon.fr. Up to them last batches and arrivals (350 pieces on sale now).

Like this I can easily jump later to the SG9663 with the parking kit when available; and when the first “rush” is away and pricing cools down.

But seems that Cowon AW1 with the OV2710 sensor is underperforming compared to the imx291 of the a119s, respectively 74eur vs. 210eur.

Of course if the footage is useless, the 74eur is the pure lost, completely agree and better to go to the “quality” SG even for couple of hundreds of the real value.

Seems that a119s is not reliable, some issues with QC etc.

Cowon seems to be fine in term of reliablity.

If some of you pros has any advice, thanks a lot to share it.

So where I want to end…if the SG9663, even with the higher price, overcome the reliability issues of the competition, has the non-compromising footage quality, real parking mode etc. it will be the real winner.

So I will be happy to read your first feedbacks and reviews of the SG9663.

Best regards from Paris

Cheers

PS : you have one great Concord at the CDG Paris airport. Take off position...looks impressive. (y)

Less impressive is that I have seen it on fire over my head driving on the highway in 2000, north of Paris, so the technology brings some problems too...:(

Sa roule!

AW1 is ancient tech. I personally wouldn’t touch it. I’d go with a Mobius if you wanted “older” tech. It’s highly reliable, modifiable (just check many of @Dashmellow work to get an idea), and you could keep it and use it as an extra cam whenever you upgrade to the DC. I’ve had mine for almost 4 years and it’s never given me a problem and it still runs perfectly.

On the lower price end, A119 is pretty solid. Mine has been trouble free. I also just ordered the Aukey DR-02 as it was on a major sale and it has a 2yr warranty (and I plan to take advantage of their 45 day free trial). Other than that, take a look at the SG9665GC; though it’s at a much higher price point, it has a reputation for being an excellent cam.

Have you checked out Best Dash Cams of 2017: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/link-forums/best-dash-cams-of-2017.196/

Welcome and that's a lot of questions with many answers coming shortly for sure

I like the A119s V2

MERCI, ça roule ;-)

yes , the aim was to have something, for both front and rear cams, waiting for the good and accessible dual channel “full options” in 2018...but you are maybe right, even 2x37eur for the old aw1 tech is not worth for, if the results will be poor compared to whet we can get with the new tech, if so if course.

I have no experience! not easy to decide, like people are doing when no having knowledge, we are looking at price?!

Instead of 2x a119s v2 with one gps integrated for 200eur, I’ve seen that Thinkware F770 as the REAL dual is at 250eur…maybe will be on sale soon…but means waiting, waiting…

I've seen the list of dashcams on this forum, and I don't understand that the manufacturers are doing the dashcams without trying to integrate the form and design to the car.

Most of them are like my Leica, 10 years ago, that I can put on the dash.

the a119s or sg9663 are the good examples and show the way the designers should take into the consideration.

K1S with two remote lens looks OK as the solution, but the tech is old too and the price high, even the design of the lens is not compact. Really strange market, as I am discovering it.

Even when you look at the Audi new dash cam, it looks good, maybe can be integrated as well, but no words about the tech (strange for this price level)

The SG9665GC at 190eur is the pricing issue compared to the a119s…

Not easy

cheers

And guess what, I already have the dashcam on my company audi a4…it is equipped with the NEW automatic pilot, and this one uses it for sure, in combination with the radars, to read the road, lanes, road signs, if someone cross the street etc.

it drives in combination with gps, so without any assistance from the driver! Like Tesla does. I mean the car, not Nikola Tesla (my compatriot from Serbia, doing so much for USA ;-) )

The stupid thing is that no one from Audi has thought to send this footage to the SD card…at least for the moment, and guess what, there are two SD cards in the rack in the cabin, one for the GPS maps and another EMPTY, or you can use it for videos, films, music etc. you think what I am thinking?

so maybe in the future…but I have no clue why they don’t backup all the filming they are actually are doing. Really strange. Maybe it’s not allowed in many countries.

And this camera is so well integrated on the front shield ;-) you DON’T see it if you don’t look for it!

Only the rear one need to be added as well and it will be the best integrated dashcam dual channel, with the parking mode etc.

But no automotive supplier has it in the offer; really strange

cheers

The SG9665GC at 190eur is the pricing issue compared to the a119s…
SG9665GC - it is primarily unmatched reliability

for example: in whole in 2017 in the CIS had a few problems that were immediately resolved by the manufacturer.
I am sure that you will not find such a percentage in the reliability of other models in this price segment

will hope for the same results DC

Last edited:
agree with you, but the prices you have are not the same we have here on western side of Europe, for 250eur delivered I put the order for the sg9663 not for 350

agree with you, but the prices you have are not the same we have here on western side of Europe, for 250eur delivered I put the order for the sg9663 not for 350
Each country has its own tax on imported goods.
In Europe it is the biggest.
It is important to take this into account.
+ the included memory card. If I include the package the memory card, in Russia the price will be the same as in Europe or USA

you're right, agree on that, and make my choice again more dificult as for 2 x 37eur there for two aw1 , there are also two 16gb micro sd included in the pack...to start up it's fair.
really not easy to see what you get more for 200eur more when you can not compare footage side by side...
of course if we consider that cowon is respectable manufacturer as well reliable as thinkware, blackvue or street guardian for exemple...

and probably I will order one viofo a119s to compare with aw1, as 30days return policy, will be enough time to choose which one will be sent back.
maybe someone else will give comments, let's see
thanks a lot

Salut Ivanhoe.

If you have your eyes on the new dualchannel from SG then i would just go for one camera now for the windscreen, that will tie you over just fine and then you get the new dual channel camera you can give the old one to a loved one or friend.

Most silly things in traffic happen in front, and if it do not at least the camera will document that you are not doing anything wrong.

I would also go for the A119s, i think ( not having one ) it is a fine camera in its price range, and customer care and service are not totally unknown words for Vifo that make the camera.

AW1 is a good dashcam, I own one. For low speed 40km/h (city) in day time it will do its job almost fine. Also you are getting parking mode feature with it.
It was around 200$ back then. Now I would say it is worth 100$ taking into consideration other Korean rivals and Cowon built quality.
For the price of 37eur (ca.40$) I think it is well underpriced and worth every penny, especially for the dashcam beginner or the one who is on tight budget and need dashcam mainly for low speed driving recording in day time.

AW1 is a good dashcam, I own one. For low speed 40km/h (city) in day time it will do its job almost fine. Also you are getting parking mode feature with it.
It was around 200$ back then. Now I would say it is worth 100$ taking into consideration other Korean rivals and Cowon built quality.
For the price of 37eur (ca.40$) I think it is well underpriced and worth every penny, especially for the dashcam beginner or the one who is on tight budget and need dashcam mainly for low speed driving recording in day time.

good point, the city drive is probably 80% why we are looking for the dashcam, the importance of the front/rear dashcam...
I see every day in traffic jam people reading newspapers, looking over the phone, watching TV...

Niko, please, does it means that AW1 has no efficiency in night or low light condition? We drive in Paris in the evening too ;-)

Does the low 30fps and low bit-rate, I found 7.5, means that higher speeds, more then 40km/h limit details = pixellisation?

Does the 30fps for the SG9663 finally is the disadvantage vs. the 60fps of the a119s v2...so maybe two of a119s will do better job for the half of the budget (except the micro sd to add)?

and maybe one a119s front and one cowon aw1 can be the good compromise (37eur for aw1, 16gb included, delivery too with 2 years warranty is more than attractive but we should not forget WHY we install it, so the functionality is the priority, or at least the ration specs/price)

adding the CPL, microSD, the price is going up for the a119s...not so far from the SG9665...or maybe I analyze to much?

cheers

good point, the city drive is probably 80% why we are looking for the dashcam, the importance of the front/rear dashcam...
I see every day in traffic jam people reading newspapers, looking over the phone, watching TV...

Niko, please, does it means that AW1 has no efficiency in night or low light condition? We drive in Paris in the evening too ;-)

Does the low 30fps and low bit-rate, I found 7.5, means that higher speeds, more then 40km/h limit details = pixellisation?

Does the 30fps for the SG9663 finally is the disadvantage vs. the 60fps of the a119s v2...so maybe two of a119s will do better job for the half of the budget (except the micro sd to add)?

and maybe one a119s front and one cowon aw1 can be the good compromise (37eur for aw1, 16gb included, delivery too with 2 years warranty is more than attractive but we should not forget WHY we install it, so the functionality is the priority, or at least the ration specs/price)

adding the CPL, microSD, the price is going up for the a119s...not so far from the SG9665...or maybe I analyze to much?

cheers

AW1 is more than good for the price of 37eur but it would be unfair to start comparing it with Viofo or SG. Besides it has no FW update any more, and I am not sure about 2y warranty, afaik it has only 30d amazon warranty, unless I have missed something. But anyway they are different class products and can not be fairly compared. For 37e aw1 is very good deal but of course it will lose to more expensive SG DC 2017/18 model.

30day amazon warranty is the "commercial" one; so pure marketing...working quite well, isn't it

and, at least in France, nothing to do with the legal warranty which is 2 years.
For exemple, for this aw1, moreover the 2 years legal, amazon offers for 6eur, the extended 2+2years warranty, for 7eur 2+3 years extended.
Being a little bit in the sales and service business, they have understood better than many others the basics of the sales , far away better, having financial leverage too...and it works.

If the seller doesn't respect the legal warranty we have in France, the government office (some kind of anti-fraude office) as the surveyor.
so 1 person against Amazon, no sense, but in this case Amazon is intelligent and instead to have hundreds of people going to DGCCRF, who waits for this opportunity, Amazon prefers to refund if the real manufacturer doesn't answer, so yes sometimes without replacing, at the end even better for the customer. They do it systematically as the seller/distributor.

if we are "trapped" into this marketing tips&tricks, we chose the price and the assurance even if in 3 years for sure we'll not use any more the same product, forgetting completely the specs and the functionality of what we are looking for! You see my point why I am asking a little bit more about real experiences and specs.

Concerning dashcomes, I'm trying to compare, a little bit, to a119s, as sometimes for the slightly improved things we switch to 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 tech, sometimes true, sometimes not. I don't know as no experience on this, and y

ou have helped me understanding better.

by the way, looking purely the specs on the paper, two a119s front and rear at 60fps and 15mbps equiped with CPL and imx291 both will be the best front/rear dashcams, even more secure with two microSD?!

but this is on paper, could be not true in real life (FW, robustness of components, r&d involved, qc, etc.)

I buy the fact that the robustness of the SG is in the different class (even if on specs, if I am not wrong Viofo is more advanced actually)

cheers

last question Niko, could we go up with the bit-rate of aw1, from 7.5 to 15?

I'd want a good cam in front at least- something lesser could do OK in back as long as it's reliable. If you've got the space to mount it, the G1W-HC from GearBest is the cheapest cam I can recommend. I've had 2 going for over a year in harsh conditions with only a dead PS being a real problem. Next up would be the Viofo G1W-S, again good experiences with them 6 months along and the cheapest good night-time cam with it's Sony sensor. The original Mobius is always a good choice but add in the cost of the PS and mount if you're pricing the basic cam as it doesn't come with those unless you buy a 'kit' with them included. It could also serve well daytime as a front cam but it's only fairly good at night. That covers the cheap end of things :)

Keep in mind that the SG9663DC is still under development. Jokin has stated that they will try to get a parking mode operational but has never promised that. They will not include a feature which they cannot make work properly which is a credit to their honesty, and if anyone can do it Jokin can but it may not be possible. So as that matters to you it makes sense to wait till it happens before buying. SG isn't cheap but is always worth its cost and more, and their cams always perform from very well to excellently- they're never a bad choice. IMHO nobody makes higher quality cams no matter the price and their service, support, and development is unbeatable :cool:

It's hard to top what Viofo offers with the A119 series cams. Only consider the V2 versions; the early ones had to be partially redesigned due to problems which weren't discovered till it came to market. The new ones with the newest firmware (which is being developed further regularly) are probably the best dashcam value out there right now. To better them will cost nearly twice as much and won't be twice as good. Viofo has hit the sweet-spot of the dashcam market perfectly :D

When you do upgrade later on, you can sell or gift your old cams. Good ones like the A119 or Mobius will hold some value, the G1W stuff won't.

Phil

Back