Street guardian sg9663dc PRO 2ch or viofo a129?

xyz123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I'm deciding to upgrade to a dual channel dash cam and I don't know which to purchase, street guardian sg9663dc or viofo a129 2ch.

parking mode is a must as well as reliability. I will be hardwiring the dash cams.

i heard good things about the street guardian dash cam but a slight issue with the viofo a129. Various sources online had wrote that there were issues regarding the dashcam not turning on sometimes when the car starts (maybe issue with firmware switching from parking mode to drive mode?) Currently that's the issue I'm having with my dashcam I'm using, so I would like to avoid that even if it meant spending a bit more. at the end of the day, I would like to know that my dash cam is reliable and on whenever I drive.

if anyone has a suggestion for another camera besides these two, please let me know as well. Thanks in advance everyone!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with either, but based on the support in this forum, I say get the Street Guardian. Their service seems to be top notch. They even go assist users here that own other brands of cams!

I'm not familiar with either, but based on the support in this forum, I say get the Street Guardian. Their service seems to be top notch. They even go assist users here that own other brands of cams!
yeah, I've seen them post around. that's true, customer service does make all the difference. thanks for your input!

what model is your current camera that has the switching issues?
Rexing V1 single channel dash camera.

it's not the switching modes that's the problem with my current camera, where it's more that my camera doesn't turn on some times when I turn on the car. I would not realize it until minutes into driving. Please do note that I have this plugged into my cigarette lighter slot, and I haven't had any problems with this same camera with my old car. Also, I can tell that there is power to the dash cam as a light is on, however the screen is not.

probably a firmware issue on the Rexing, they don't do any type of follow up support on those though so if they have issues there's not really any hope of it getting sorted unfortunately

thank you for that information. regardless, I got a new car now and would like to finally upgrade my dash cam into 2ch. I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the reliability of the two dash cam.

Rexing V1 single channel dash camera.

it's not the switching modes that's the problem with my current camera, where it's more that my camera doesn't turn on some times when I turn on the car. I would not realize it until minutes into driving. Please do note that I have this plugged into my cigarette lighter slot, and I haven't had any problems with this same camera with my old car. Also, I can tell that there is power to the dash cam as a light is on, however the screen is not.

Is it a diesel? If so it must be happening when you switch from ACC or ON to Start/Ignition. Shouldn't happen if you start the car from OFF.

From what I've read here, diesel cars momentarily suspend power to some non-critical circuits when the engine is turned on. The amount of time the camera loses power for will vary from vehicle to vehicle and in some cases the delay and then power being restored messes with the shutdown and start up routine, resulting in the camera turning off.

You won't face the starting issue with either the A129 or the SG9663DC. Both have a boot delay setting that helps if the default start up and shutdown routine doesn't play well with your car.

Is it a diesel? If so it must be happening when you switch from ACC or ON to Start/Ignition. Shouldn't happen if you start the car from OFF.

From what I've read here, diesel cars momentarily suspend power to some non-critical circuits when the engine is turned on. The amount of time the camera loses power for will vary from vehicle to vehicle and in some cases the delay and then power being restored messes with the shutdown and start up routine, resulting in the camera turning off.

You won't face the starting issue with either the A129 or the SG9663DC. Both have a boot delay setting that helps if the default start up and shutdown routine doesn't play well with your car.
No, it's not diesel, just a family sedan that runs on gas. if it makes a difference, my car now has a start engine button and not the physical key fob.

No, it's not diesel, just a family sedan that runs on gas. if it makes a difference, my car now has a start engine button and not the physical key fob.

Do you usually long press to start the engine straightaway or first short press to turn ACC (accessories) on and then start the engine? Could behave like diesels do under such circumstances. Try it both ways and see, turn the engine on straightaway with a long press and then short presses.

Last edited:
Do you usually long press to start the engine straightaway or first turn short press to turn ACC (accessories) on and then start the engine? Could behave like diesels do under such circumstances. Try it both ways and see, turn the engine on straightaway with a long press and then short presses.
Thank you for your help. I will try this and monitor for the next two or three weekends (I only drive my car during the weekends and occasionally during the week). However, I do plan to upgrade regardless to either of the listed cameras. NY is getting a bit more reckless and I would like as much protection as I can so I can prove to the insurance companies if I'm not at fault.

Thank you for your help. I will try this and monitor for the next two or three weekends (I only drive my car during the weekends and occasionally during the week). However, I do plan to upgrade regardless to either of the listed cameras. NY is getting a bit more reckless and I would like as much protection as I can so I can prove to the insurance companies if I'm not at fault.

Welcome to DCT @xyz123. It really is a matter of percentages. The perfect dashcam does not exist, and it does not appear that it is going to anytime soon. So select the one that meets your budget and checks the most boxes for you. If the choice comes down to customer service then anything produced by Street Guardian would be an excellent choice as they have outstanding customer support, and they are the best that I have found for continuing support of their products. Obsessive behavior will soon follow so enjoy your camera knowing that you are not alone :)

Welcome to DCT @xyz123. It really is a matter of percentages. The perfect dashcam does not exist, and it does not appear that it is going to anytime soon. So select the one that meets your budget and checks the most boxes for you. If the choice comes down to customer service then anything produced by Street Guardian would be an excellent choice as they have outstanding customer support, and they are the best that I have found for continuing support of their products. Obsessive behavior will soon follow so enjoy your camera knowing that you are not alone :)
thank you very much for those words of comfort. by any chance, would you know how many years of warranty street guardian has over the viofo?

You get a 2 year no hassle warranty replacement with local USA service for the latest models of Street Guardian products. (SG9663DCPRO included)
Lifetime support as well.

You get a 2 year no hassle warranty replacement with local USA service for the latest models of Street Guardian products. (SG9663DCPRO included)
Lifetime support as well.
that sounds great! by any chance is there any discounts or promotion coming up soon? [emoji16]

Our last big promotion was Black Friday holiday period to clear out the remaining SG9663DC, we now have the all-new SG9663DCPRO

The A129 offers good value for money, SG tend to provide better service and support. Both Viofo and SG will fix bugs through firmware updates. Both the A129 and the DC can be hardwired, and as Harsh said, they have adjustable boot delay so you should not suffer the non-starting issue you have now.

SG have a slow but steady and reliable approach to hardware and firmware development. Viofo tend to be more reactive to user's needs and suggestions in bringing out new features, but sometimes the reliability suffers.

Viofo are working on bringing buffered parking mode to the A129. SG are working on a dual remote version of the DC.

haha I tried. thank you for your feedback, I hope to support you soon with my future purchases.! [emoji16]

if you buy direct rather than through Amazon we can deduct what Amazon normally charge, direct sales also get all settings preconfigured so it's ready to go, just let @Street Guardian USA know if you want to do that

if you buy direct rather than through Amazon we can deduct what Amazon normally charge, direct sales also get all settings preconfigured so it's ready to go, just let @Street Guardian USA know if you want to do that

Yes, I can give a special coupon if you order direct. Amazon has a heavy fee we can avoid. Anyone can me a private message if interested.

Back