Street Guardian's new 2k cam SG9667DC2K

Low light will introduce motion blur alright. sadly no sensors available that can deal with that, or at least not sensors in use in any consumer dashcam.
Really?!

Less light = longer exposure time.
Longer exposure time = more motion blur.

The only alternative is to increase signal amplification and that will degrade overall image quality by increasing noise. Unfortunately there's no other alternatives - at least that could be implemented in a physical package the size of a dash cam and at an acceptable consumer cost.

Thank you. Appreciate the follow up.

@Street Guardian USA and @Sifu
So I have been running some tests for my SG9667DC2K and was comparing it with Viofo 129 Pro Duo that I bought for my brother in law (he asked for 4K camera) and asked him to use it for few days. Below are some pictures for both cameras, the SG is installed underneath the rearview mirror to the right and the Viofo to the left and around 4 inch separate each other. Both have no CPL installed, WDR is off. I am running dual channel with the SG and single channel with the Viofo.
My conclusion up to this point is this:
- When running both camera at 2K/30FPS the SG has better PQ during night and day.
- 4K is very slightly better than SG's 2K during day time
- Night time, none of the cams could capture plate numbers when the car is moving and I doubt any other dash cam would.
- SG has cleaner PQ at night but darker. You can see more objects with the Viofo despite the the PQ being grainy little bit
- I noticed SG's picture is over sharpened and I think it needs to go down little bit, maybe 15% as the over sharpening is creating halos around the edges.
- The picture contrast of the SG seems to be higher (highlights but more so the shadows are compressed) and that is noticeable with lack of details in the shadows. I would personally like to see some details in the shadows so slight adjustment is needed in my opinion.
- At least my SG, I see noticeable blue cast around objects with very bright backlight or around very bright highlights and specially half way off center or around that. It's not a huge deal but its there. Very likely software issue.

Overall, I like my SG9667DC2K and I think it is a great dash cam. Hope next firmware some of these issues are addressed.

Each picture has the size typed on it and they are randomly ordered.
1920X1080.jpg

2K x 4K.jpg2K x 4K (2).jpg2K x 4K (3).jpg2K X 2K.jpg2K X 2K (2).jpg2K X 2K (3).jpg2K X 2K (4).jpg

Those SG shots are impressive

@leggy might some of your exposure concerns be addressed by WDR? Have you since tried enabling it to see if it works better for your shadows and such?

@leggy might some of your exposure concerns be addressed by WDR? Have you since tried enabling it to see if it works better for your shadows and such?
I turned WDR on today for both cams so let's see how that fair.
Gonna run these tests few more days but so far the PQ for the SG is very pleasing

Wanted to add an observation that I tried both cams at 60PFS and the Viofo at 120 FPS at the 1920x1080 but didn't notice any change in picture frames and smoothness. What I am missing here?

are the cables for the 2nd cam and power kit the same as the X2Pro?

I'm considering upgrading and want to know how much effort will be required of me lol

are the cables for the 2nd cam and power kit the same as the X2Pro?

I'm considering upgrading and want to know how much effort will be required of me lol

No, The DC2K has a usb-type C connector, need to use the supplied cable.

Here are few more screen shots with WDR on where I compared Viofo's 129 Pro 2K/3FPS and 4K vs SGs SG9667DC2K 2K/30FPS and here are my observation, feel free to chime in
- Day time with WDR on 2K, the SG needs slight adjustment to reveal more details in shadows and add little bit saturation. While the Viofo, has nice lifted shadows but the colors are heavily saturated and very likely tone mapped so it shows little bit unrealistic. Highlight wise and while the sky details may not be important, the SG nicely control the highlights while the Viofo blows it out. Viofo's 4K WDR ON on day time is very nice and detailed with the exception of blown highlights and saturated colors which I personally don't mind to
- Night time with WDR on, Viofo seems to have smudgy picture/colors (notice the plant and red flowers to the right in the driveway) and very grainy while the SG is clear and crisp but when it comes to capturing fine details, they are pretty much the same

I am pretty much done with the test and going to unhook the Viofo unless you guys have something in mind you want me to try it.
2K WDR ON.jpg2K WDR ON (2).jpg4K WDR ON - 2K WDR ON.jpg4K WDR ON - 2K WDR ON (2).jpg4K WDR ON - 2K WDR ON (3).jpg

Here are few more screen shots with WDR on where I compared Viofo's 129 Pro 2K/3FPS and 4K vs SGs SG9667DC2K 2K/30FPS and here are my observation, feel free to chime in
- Day time with WDR on 2K, the SG needs slight adjustment to reveal more details in shadows and add little bit saturation. While the Viofo, has nice lifted shadows but the colors are heavily saturated and very likely tone mapped so it shows little bit unrealistic. Highlight wise and while the sky details may not be important, the SG nicely control the highlights while the Viofo blows it out. Viofo's 4K WDR ON on day time is very nice and detailed with the exception of blown highlights and saturated colors which I personally don't mind to
- Night time with WDR on, Viofo seems to have smudgy picture/colors (notice the plant and red flowers to the right in the driveway) and very grainy while the SG is clear and crisp but when it comes to capturing fine details, they are pretty much the same

I am pretty much done with the test and going to unhook the Viofo unless you guys have something in mind you want me to try it.
View attachment 59603View attachment 59604View attachment 59605View attachment 59606View attachment 59607
Hi Leggy,
Thank you so much for doing the test comparison. Sorry I was out of action for almost 2 weeks. I had covid and had to isolate at home from everyone in the house but 3 days into the isolation my wife and daughter caught covid from me. Just lucky their symptoms weren't as bad as mine. I wouldn't recommend on anyone. Even though I am out of iso, I still don't feel right. I am still weak all over, all the food taste so salty and still have slight cough. Now i am back i will continue to solve the other issues you had. Thanks again for doing the comparison, really appreciate it. I will share with our engineer.

The global image upgrade Rick had planned, i think would take care of such things, at least the test footage showed improved shadow detail, and better night footage.
I have relegated the two 1440p Viofo cameras i got for testing to living room window sill testing, they turned off just a few minutes ago and will not come on for 3 hours now, though then at 6 in the morning it is still pitch dark here.
I got out of bed horrible early today ( at midnight ) but i was able to get a whopping 4 hours of sleep after collapsing earlier in the evening.
My nephew caught the corona bug a good week or so ago, the first case of that in my family / relation sphere,,,,, though in all fairness that is a rather small sphere.

Hi Leggy,
Thank you so much for doing the test comparison. Sorry I was out of action for almost 2 weeks. I had covid and had to isolate at home from everyone in the house but 3 days into the isolation my wife and daughter caught covid from me. Just lucky their symptoms weren't as bad as mine. I wouldn't recommend on anyone. Even though I am out of iso, I still don't feel right. I am still weak all over, all the food taste so salty and still have slight cough. Now i am back i will continue to solve the other issues you had. Thanks again for doing the comparison, really appreciate it. I will share with our engineer.
Sorry to hear that sifu, hope you and your family get better soon. My son of 15 months got Covid as well but luckily was very light symptoms. My wife and I are boosted so not sure if that helped not to get infected.
As for the comparison tests, glad what I posted are helpful and looking forward for the update. The camera is excellent so no rush.

i think i had it last week, was in bed for almost 2 days, just feeling better now, and i have been vaccinated. never had anything soo bad, but im not even sure it was corona as never got tested, too busy.

Yea, the first 3 days hit me hard then on 4th day I got better but had slight cough. Even though I am out of isolation, I still don't feel right. I still do feel tired quickly, my taste had gone out of whack. Everything tastes so so salty which put me off having anything to eat. That may be a good thing, maybe I can start losing weight. Mate, you must take extreme care and stay safe. All the doctor friends said we can catch covid again if not careful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA SG9667DC2K 7
Back