Suggest me a car GPS tracker...

SergeiF

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello,

Unlike dashcams it seems that GPS trackers for cars haven't taken off (no forum for such things...).
I believe these are very useful thing to have along with the dash cam. My use case for those is simply to check if my car is where it is supposed to be.

I have been looking into what is available locally (in New Zealand) and from ebay.
Basically it splits in two categories:
Rip-off artist (generally locals) that want silly amount for unit and exuberant monthly fees.
Cheap Chinese units with no documentation that don't inspire any confidence. *

What I am actually after is a no monthly fee unit (independent service) specifically designed for vehicle, and that will not set the car on fire. The unit must support the following bands: GSM-900, UMTS-900 and UMTS-2100.

I will be rolling out my own tracking "service" (I already have boxes in the "cloud"). Besides it would not be difficult to whip up an HTML5 interface with google maps plotting the track. I can pay for my own SIM card, no need for me to pay some 3rd party for something I can do better ;).

I notice some units come with USB interface, is this a serial interface of sorts? There is zero documentation what so ever.

* As an experiment I bought a cheap GT06E unit. Will test it in couple of weeks.

there are free tracking services available you can use with your own tracker, no need to reinvent the wheel

Back