Suggestions for dual 12-volt charger?

Reg dashcam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0801/JADO D169 (Front), K2000 Car Cam (rear)
Now that I have my Mini 0801, I'm moving my old K2000 dash cam to being a rear-view dash cam and the 0801 in front. But my car has only one power socket (cigarette lighter) and I'm going to have to route both dash cams to the same power source, which means I need a splitter as mentioned already. Any recommendations? I've heard bad things about many different ones, and specs seem to be different too, and I don't want the unit to short out or smoke on me. I don't really know anything about how the voltage works in the car, so going through every detail is important.

I bought one at Walmart. I have my Vico WF1, TF2, and a rear back up camera plugged into it with no issues. It has a switch on the front to turn the whole thing off and on so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging.

I think it has to be rated for 3 amps, but i am not sure. Someone with a little more technical background will chime in i am sure.

The easiest way is to get a socket splitter - then you can plug in several adapters in one socket.
I didn't like a splitter in my car, so I decided to cut and split a cable. This is easy if both devices need 12V power; you should only pay attention that their total current consumption will not open the fuse in the adapter.
If both devices need 5V (then there's DC-DC converter in the adapter; it should be rated to convert enough power) and you want to split the cable then it makes sence to add a protection preventing the devices from overvoltage if the converter is out of order. I suggest adding a Zener diode, for instance 1N4735A inside the adapter or to the cable as in the picture. Then the worst thing that may happen is adapter damage (I don't care for I have plenty of them :) ), the devices will not suffer. An adapter like the one in the picture helps me to use a dashcam and a navigation device in my car.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
The neatest and best way would be to get one of these and hardwire some cut-up USB cables to it, running it off an ignition-live 12V source. 3A output is ample for two 0801s; my camera has run flawlessly since installing one, whereas I had some dropped files with the supplied cheapo adapter.

Back