T-bone Collision

For me is strange to see the traffic lights only after the crossroad. I believe its the red truck fault.

Traffic lights.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

I believe its the blue cyclist's fault.
cyclist.jpg

I believe its the blue cyclist's fault.
And on the bike wheel there is a bumble-bee which caused some reflections to the Honda driver.

enjoy,
Mtz

I wouldn't have my foot on the brake, why go to the effort of holding it down with your foot all the time you are parked when you can put the parking brake on while waiting?

If you don't have your brake lights on while waiting then people behind cant use them as drag strip lights - problem solved :)
Like most cars in America, both mine and mine wife's cars are automatics. Yes I could pull the handbrake in mine, or step on the parking brake in hers, but that's not good for the parking brake itself since the auto would be putting a constant pulling force against the little parking brake pads.

Like most cars in America, both mine and mine wife's cars are automatics. Yes I could pull the handbrake in mine, or step on the parking brake in hers, but that's not good for the parking brake itself since the auto would be putting a constant pulling force against the little parking brake pads.
I don't know much about automatics, other than they waste fuel! What is the issue with putting a bit of force on the pads? If I'm only going slowly then I stop mine at red lights with the parking brake, a little wear and heat on the disks keeps them working properly and stops the disks rusting, although it's probably not necessary in your part of the world.

I guess you don't know much about automatics. Modern automatic transmissions often meet or exceed the fuel efficiency of manual transmissions.

View attachment 33745
I checked through a load of UK real mpg figures as recorded by owners and typically the automatics uses 10% more fuel, surprisingly even when using dual clutch automatics. CVT boxes are a lot closer, but you generally get a little less performance from them.

I checked through a load of UK real mpg figures as recorded by owners and typically the automatics uses 10% more fuel, surprisingly even when using dual clutch automatics. CVT boxes are a lot closer, but you generally get a little less performance from them.

The notion that manual transmissions get better fuel economy than automatics is a myth.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

1. Cars with manual transmissions always get better fuel economy than cars with automatics.

"In the past it was pretty much a given that vehicles with manual transmissions would be more fuel-efficient than their automatic counterparts. But as automatics become more advanced and gain additional gears, they are often now overtaking manuals in terms of fuel economy."

2. Myth: Manual transmissions are always superior to automatic transmissions when it comes to gas mileage.

“This has been true in the past, largely because automatics with five speeds were rare birds, indeed,” says Dan Edmunds, director of vehicle testing for Edmunds.com.

"But manuals are no longer the definite rulers of fuel economy. “The gap has narrowed to the point where it’s often a toss-up, and the manual and automatic (Environmental Protection Agency) ratings are the same,” Edmunds says.

A lot of that has to do with advancements in automatic-transmission technology. For instance, automatic transmissions now have more gears. That cuts down on wasted fuel, Edmunds says."

And new classes of automatics — automatic manual transmissions, or AMTs — combine the best features of manuals and automatics, resulting in a potential 7 percent fuel-efficiency improvement, according to FuelEconomy.gov.

The notion that manual transmissions get better fuel economy than automatics is a myth.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

1. Cars with manual transmissions always get better fuel economy than cars with automatics.

"In the past it was pretty much a given that vehicles with manual transmissions would be more fuel-efficient than their automatic counterparts. But as automatics become more advanced and gain additional gears, they are often now overtaking manuals in terms of fuel economy."

2. Myth: Manual transmissions are always superior to automatic transmissions when it comes to gas mileage.

“This has been true in the past, largely because automatics with five speeds were rare birds, indeed,” says Dan Edmunds, director of vehicle testing for Edmunds.com.

"But manuals are no longer the definite rulers of fuel economy. “The gap has narrowed to the point where it’s often a toss-up, and the manual and automatic (Environmental Protection Agency) ratings are the same,” Edmunds says.

A lot of that has to do with advancements in automatic-transmission technology. For instance, automatic transmissions now have more gears. That cuts down on wasted fuel, Edmunds says."

And new classes of automatics — automatic manual transmissions, or AMTs — combine the best features of manuals and automatics, resulting in a potential 7 percent fuel-efficiency improvement, according to FuelEconomy.gov.
As always, there is a difference between the manufacturers fuel economy figures and the real fuel consumption when owners drive the vehicles! Even the automated manual transmissions which I would expect to be almost identical don't match the manuals.

As always, there is a difference between the manufacturers fuel economy figures and the real fuel consumption when owners drive the vehicles! Even the automated manual transmissions which I would expect to be almost identical don't match the manuals.

Self reported mpg figures don't account for personal driving habits, road conditions, weather conditions, things like use of air conditioning, fuel quality or octane standards. This has nothing whatsoever to do with objective, scientific testing done by government organizations and other authoritative sources who are not associated with manufacturers. It would be like people reporting the electricity usage of their personal refrigerators without taking into account how often they open the door, how long they keep it open or how much food they store. You are talking nonsense!

Last edited:
I don't know much about automatics, other than they waste fuel! What is the issue with putting a bit of force on the pads? If I'm only going slowly then I stop mine at red lights with the parking brake, a little wear and heat on the disks keeps them working properly and stops the disks rusting, although it's probably not necessary in your part of the world.
My Miata actually used the regular rear brake pads for the parking brake - the cable pulled a lever on tht back of each day caliper to push the piston out and engage the brake. Most Toyotas use a drum in disk setup, where the disk and pads are used for braking via the pedal, and the small drum inside is activated only via the handbrake lever/pedal. Yes, it'll lock up the rear wheels if needed, even at speed.

The reason we keep our fit on tht brake in an auto is because as soon as you let off, the car starts moving forward even without any throttle input. Most people are also incorrectly taught that the handbrake is the "emergency brake". Sure, you could use it if your hydraulics failed (as I once did), but people here the to refer to it as the "e-brake"and thus pretty much never use it. The automatic gear lever has a Park position, so they don't think they need a parking brake.

For things like steep uphill grades at low speed, or moving a boat up or down the ramp, left foot braking in an auto is more efficient and controllable than doing the same thing with the handbrake in a manual.

Self reported mpg figures don't account for personal driving habits, road conditions, weather conditions, things like use of air conditioning, fuel quality or octane standards. This has nothing whatsoever to do with objective, scientific testing done by government organizations and other authoritative sources who are not associated with manufacturers. It would be like people reporting the electricity usage of their personal refrigerators without taking into account how often they open the door, how long they keep it open or how much food they store. You are talking nonsense!
You don't believe those "government" figures do you, the ones measured by the manufacturers themselves in their own test facilities using every trick they can come up with?!

If you don't like the owners own figures then look at some independent ones: http://equaindex.com/equa-fuel-economy-index/ - again the auto normally uses most fuel.

My Miata actually used the regular rear brake pads for the parking brake - the cable pulled a lever on tht back of each day caliper to push the piston out and engage the brake. Most Toyotas use a drum in disk setup, where the disk and pads are used for braking via the pedal, and the small drum inside is activated only via the handbrake lever/pedal. Yes, it'll lock up the rear wheels if needed, even at speed.

The reason we keep our fit on tht brake in an auto is because as soon as you let off, the car starts moving forward even without any throttle input. Most people are also incorrectly taught that the handbrake is the "emergency brake". Sure, you could use it if your hydraulics failed (as I once did), but people here the to refer to it as the "e-brake"and thus pretty much never use it. The automatic gear lever has a Park position, so they don't think they need a parking brake.

For things like steep uphill grades at low speed, or moving a boat up or down the ramp, left foot braking in an auto is more efficient and controllable than doing the same thing with the handbrake in a manual.
Mine is like your Miata, uses the normal pads and discs.

Do your more recent automatics not use the electronic "handbrake" to hold the car for you and then automatically release when you pull off, thus making holding the foot brake unnecessary and removing any issue with hill starts? Or maybe USA cars don't bother with electronic handbrakes since no one would use them?

You don't believe those "government" figures do you, the ones measured by the manufacturers themselves in their own test facilities using every trick they can come up with?!

If you don't like the owners own figures then look at some independent ones: http://equaindex.com/equa-fuel-economy-index/ - again the auto normally uses most fuel.

Alpha Romeo? And manual only is listed? Hah! Now that's a good one. :rolleyes:

I'll accept EPA standardized figures based on actual testing results over anecdotal self reporting any old day.

Interestingly, speaking of self reporting, after a lifetime of owning standard transmission cars I now, for the first time drive an automatic transmission vehicle and have for a number of years. The fuel economy consistently meets or slightly exceeds those rated numbers you are so skeptical about and two friends who own the identical vehicle with manual transmissions report the same, except that the manual boxes always come in slightly below the automatic transmission in fuel efficiency.

Top Myths About Manual Transmissions Debunked
https://www.mytransmissionexperts.com/top-myths-about-manual-transmissions-debunked/

Myth #1 – Manual Transmissions Always Provide Better Fuel Efficiency
In the past, it was true that vehicles operating with a manual transmission were generally more fuel efficient than vehicles with an automatic transmission. Through the years however, automatic transmissions have seen many technological advancements, and the addition of more gears. This has led some automatic transmissions to offer even better fuel economy than their manual counterparts. One example is the Ford Focus, where the manual transmission gets 30mpg combined and the six-speed automatic gets 31mpg combined.

Last edited:
...The fuel economy consistently meets or slightly exceeds those rated numbers you are so skeptical about and two friends who own the identical vehicle with manual transmissions report the same, except that the manual boxes always come in slightly below the automatic transmission in fuel efficiency...
IMO a significant factor for that difference is in modern cars the transmission is electronically controlled to optimize shift points/gear selection to maximize performance efficiency. Computers do this more accurately and consistently than a human.

IMO a significant factor for that difference is in modern cars the transmission is electronically controlled to optimize shift points/gear selection to maximize performance efficiency. Computers do this more accurately and consistently than a human.

Yes, exactly! That's one of the factors with modern automatics. I had a funny moment at my house when two contractors were working here. By coincidence all three of us had the same Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck, only one of the two contractors only had owned his for a few days. We were all hanging out in my driveway comparing notes on our trucks and the guy with the new truck said he was freaked out because his truck seemed to shift gears on its own, both up and down and he thought something was wrong. He said it felt spooky.

Last edited:
I'll accept EPA standardized figures based on actual testing results over anecdotal self reporting any old day.
You do know that during the EPA test, the vehicle travels a total of zero miles?

Not germane to the testing given that all vehicles are tested in the exact same environment, something that cannot be said for 'real world' self-reported data.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

keep in mind the manufacturer tests and supplies the figures, not all get retested by the governing body to confirm, they are know to cheat the system too (VW emissions scandal should ring a bell), unrelated as to whether auto or manual is more efficient but just the general unreliability of the figures either way

Back