The Definitive [Xiaomi Yi RAW] Guide

@Tokra: this is about RAW. By definition, there is no noise reduction. photoshop has great NR, use it!

as to the 13mb files, this happens when you switch on compression for RAW files.
try setting your cam to start in video mode, not photo mode.
it was reported to happen with timelapse from the app also.

I start my cam in video mode and then switch to photo mode when needed. that works and gives 31mb files.
if you suddenly get 13mb files, think back and figure out what you changed. important.

@scuola: if you cant open it, it is GIMPs problem. try photoshop. get a free trial version. or try photoshop CS2. its free. Dont know if it supports these files but try it.
try adding pause to the end of the script, so you will see if it opens and closes too fast.

that process works 100% because I am using it and others also.. I dont know about Gimp, sorry, but Lightroom and AE are working with that files
so, I did fast google, and it looks like GIMP does not support any kind of raw files.. not sure, google it some more and see what free software you can use to edit files

schnurbi: but when you use .bat file... one in your folder, you shared, you change options for dng file
exiftool -WhiteLevel=1024 -BlackLevel=50 %1 -overwrite_original
that is line from your batch file.. so you are changing info, I just added some more options :)

ill test your answer and hope to get it work that way :) tnx for info

that process works 100% because I am using it and others also.. I dont know about Gimp....QUOTE]

Gimp does not support dng files. It gives some error messages and it opens the image anyway but it is small (at 100% zoom; dng file size is about 9 Mb) and useless.
The same with paintshoppro 9, which supports dng files.

I will try Ps Cs2 or Lr but I have an old pc , 756 Mb ram :(
before buying a new one I would check if there is something wrong I do.

.....try adding pause to the end of the script, so you will see if it opens and closes too fast.

When I execute Yi-correct-Raw bat with the dng file in a dos window, after a few seconds it gives the output "1 image files updated".

I think the average image quality of yi jpgs is not so bad; the main problem I think it is the watercolor effect, coming from denoise. Having RAW images and the possibility of post processing is a great opportunity for specific adjustments in specific images.
For an average usage, it would be fine to have a script to set the noise reduction in jpg pictures.

I have an issue with a script, hope someone will be able to help me...
Im using RAW time lapse modified script and when Im turning the cam ON, its starting to taking photo every 8 sec...
Thing is that the camera is automatically switching itself OFF after few shots :(
Its not predictable as sometimes its after 10 or 15 shots, sometimes after just 2
Its basivally useless when flying as im not quite sure is it taking pictures or not...

Another thing is that it would be ideal to switch this time lapse by pressing shutter button, anyone know what to add to the script ? :confused:
*.ash file in link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92243667/autoexec.ash

Script not functionnaly on my Yi Z221 and Firmware 1.2.6 :-(
Other script is good but you it does not work....
After taking the picture I is not raw file..
Perhaps you are using a text editor that does to produce Unix line endings, a requirement for these .ash files to work on the camera. If you use Windows, edit and save your files using Notepad++. If you use a Mac, Textedit will work.
All lines in the file must end with a Unix line ending, including the last line. Don't leave the cursor dangling on the end of the last line without a new line.

@scuola: Noise reduction is not responsible for the watercolor effect, as you can see when you take a picture with t cal raw instead of shutter. there is noise in the picture, so no NR, but still watercolor effect.
Just use RAW instead.
this is exactly right. "1 image files updated" is the message you want to see. then it is done. edit the files with photoshop.
@Criox: maybe you took the script with auto shutoff at the end. i can not open your link.
you cannot trigger any script via buttons.
@Tokra: yea but noise reduction is not like blacklevel. it is not a property of a raw file.

Thanks for alle the work and the fantastic scripts. I see also much more better details with Raw. (good description), but unfortunately also a red issue. Any solution, unless change every pic by manually.

Last edited:
schnurbi well.. I will not go so deep into that.. I dont know really dng or exiftool.. just basic canon raw files ... never messed around with dng before this

mach - white balance .. and you are set.. simple and easy :) and yes.. for every file.. if you use Lightroom.. set it on one picture, CTRL+A and then Sync and you are set :)

edit :

just making small timelapse movie from raw files.. damn.. this is too long process, all converting and all files, and looks like LR is OK with all files, but to me, looks like After effects is not too happy with dng files, looks like it takes double the time than canon raw files to process

Last edited by a moderator:
@Criox: maybe you took the script with auto shutoff at the end. i can not open your link.
you cannot trigger any script via buttons.
This is it :)
#RAWLAPSE v2 by nutsey
#Howto: Put this file into root of SD
#Steady fix your Yi
#Turn on, camera will start timelapse shooting loop
#capturing RAW+JPEG sets with 0.1s exposure and 8s interval at ISO 100
#Remove/rename the script to disable it
sleep 0
#SET ISO TO 100
t ia2 -ae exp 100 0 0
t cal -raw 2 1 0
#SET JPEG QUALITY TO 80
writeb 0xC0BC205B 0x50
t ia2 -ae still_shutter 0.2
sleep 1
#RAW+JPG
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 1
#MAIN LOOP thanx VOTerra
while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 1
done

Hey everyone, yes timelapse is a lot of work for your computer. You can try using davinci resolve, as it is much faster with debayering and takes your DNG sequences directly.
I made a new version with counter for the Correction Script, link in the first post-
so you know how many files are already corrected.

@Criox: your still shutter value is messed up. there is no 0.2.
Also you cannot put sleep 1 into the loop, the camera is too slow. try sleep 8 or 10, depending on your card. RAWlapse can NOT take a picture every second.
here are the values for the shutter speeds:
Xiaomi Yi shutter speeds

1 = 7.9 Sec.
8 = 7.7
50 = 6.1
8.4 = 5.0
100 = 4.6
200 = 2.7
400 = 1.0
500 = 1.0
590 =1/3
600 = 1/5
700 = 1/5
800 = 1/10
900 = 1/15
1000 = 1/30
1100 = 1/50
1145 = 1/60
1200 = 1/80
1275 = 1/125
1300 = 1/140
1400 = 1/245
1405 = 1/250
1450 = 1/320
1500 = 1/420
1531 = 1/500
1600 = 1/624
1607 = 1/752
1660 = 1/1002
1700 = 1/1244
1788 = 1/2004
1800 = 1/2138
1900 = 1/3675
2000 = 1/6316
2047 = 1/8147

its ok for me.. i mean I have time, and this with xiaomi cam , I am not doing anything pro, just for fun, but still.. hehe
but I have other problem, when I drag and drop 300 files in batch file, it will not run, and it will just close.. but 50 files is ok.. so I had to do 50 50 50 50 50 and so on.. haha.. is there a way around that ?

Yes there is. I made a batch file for large collections. you put your exiftool location in the batch file, then you copy the batch file into the folder with the DNGs. then start the batch file.
It is good to know how many DNGs you have exactly, because as of now, the batch will start over again once it is finished. you have to abort it then.
This is kind of a workaround but it works.

Someone with more experience in windows batch may be able to improve upon this quite easily.

Attachments

• Yi-correct-RAW-inFolder.zip
    429 bytes · Views: 69
...try photoshop. get a free trial version. or try photoshop CS2. its free.

@schnurbi: Thank you for your help and advice. I tried with PS CS2. It is fine with DNG files.
To be honest the resulting images are not much better than the in-camera jpgs (more details anyway,,) but I have no experience in image processing.

I will test more.
I will also compare with the in-camera jpgs adding some scripts, for example the sharpness script for still images from this forum.
The code lines in Yimax for

vibrance/saturation adjustments
shadow/highlight clipping adjustments
gamma level setting

are for video only or also for still images?

the lines are for video only.
what you gain from raw is:
- highlights/shadows - you can dial those up and down as you like.
- white balance - you can do it manually in Photoshop, you can not with jpgs.
- superior noise reduction - or if you choose - no noise reduction.
- image correction as to distortion and vignetting, also manually adjustable.

Thanks, I will learn PS and do more tests with raws

schnurbi you left this line in batch file : FOR %%A IN (*.dng) DO "X:\exiftool.exe" ... but if you have X: it will not work.. at least not for us.. like me.. I dont have X drive :) but I guess I know how to fix this, maybe to post new batch file, for others, so they dont get confused

Last edited by a moderator:
This batch file needs absolute location, because you move the batch file to your DNG folder.
I wrote specifically you have to put in your location :)

I'm trying to get the best photo quality possible in time lapse mode... 1sec interval... Daylight with sun (aerial mapping from a drone).

I have tried this script RAW + Jpeg but the photos were taken with variable intervals between 2 and 3secs and i guess the raws were compressed (13mb).

Do you have any idea that can help me?

Back