The importance of having a Dash Camera

Art B

Reaction score
Country
United States
As mentioned earlier in an introduction thread, I am a retired Police Officer. After decades being a street cop, I've personally investigated hundreds of traffic accidents and then when you consider my last 10 years was as a Sergeant, those hundreds exponentially grew to over a thousand since I was required to read, evaluate then approve several written accident investigations from officers under me...daily. Officer investigated traffic accidents are not done in the interest of crime solving...they're done to make insurance companies jobs easier. That absolutely infuriated cops out there devoting hours daily to the task of accident investigation.

Cops would love nothing more than to arrive at the scene of an accident, where someone actually had video evidence of what happened, where we wouldn't have to listen to 5-10 almost completely different accounts of what happened from "so called" eye witnesses. Often times, it (almost) comes down to a flip of the coin to determine who was at fault. In those cases and there are quite a few of them, we write down on the report, "fault undetermined" However, there are cops who, through good intention, put the wrong person at fault. That, unfortunately leaves that "at fault" motorist to have to fend for themselves with their insurance company. Now of course, insurance companies have the final say as to who they determine to be at fault...they don't have to go along with the police officer's written investigation, but, unless there is the potential for a major litigation, those reports are almost always accepted. In all of those accident investigations, I've only seen ONE with Dash-Cam evidence...ONLY ONE, and of the 5 or so cars involved in the pile up, not one of them had the Dash-Cam...it was on a car not even involved in the accident. He forgot he had the camera up and running until days later, right before the file was overwritten.

From my best recollection, it was discovered that the one vehicle noted as P-1 (symbol for the 1st primary vehicle at fault) was not even close to being at fault. He was so relieved to hear that and I suspect his insurance company was equally pleased since several people at the scene were transported to hospitals with mysterious "Neck and Back" injuries. On a side note, you guys are gonna like this part. One of the vehicles involved was a pick up truck and it nearly overturned at the scene. The driver of the pick up truck was concerned about a very expensive large but portable electric generator that was dislodged and flew out of the bed of his truck. He was equally upset when he was told at the hospital officers didn't find any kind of generator at the scene. Well, when we reviewed the Dash-Cam video of the accident days later, we were able to clearly see two or three guys get out of a non-involved truck at the scene and in broad daylight pick up a large piece of equipment at the curb and after placing it in their truck, speed off. The camera wasn't good enough at the time to read the plate, but it was able to read the business name on the side of the truck. Officers went to that business and were able to eventually ID the 3 men, all of whom were subsequently charged with possession of stolen property...a felony and the generator, though only slightly damaged but still useable, was returned to the owner who had no insurance to cover the loss.

The owner of the business stepped up and did the right thing...he told the owner of the generator his company would repair or replace the generator for him because of what his ex-employees did

So...Yes, I along with lots of cops I know, wish more motorists out there would arm themselves with Dash-Cams. It's a total mystery why it never caught on here, but I suspect it will real soon thanks to Forums like this.

Last edited:
So...Yes, I along with lost of cops I know, wish more motorists out there would arm themselves with Dash-Cams. It's a total mystery why it never caught on here, but I suspect it will real soon thanks to Forums like this.

I believe they are in the throws of catching on, consumer awareness in western markets is really only just starting to wake up to them now, the product has largely been the domain of Russian and Korean customers where it has been driven by fraud and insurance issues, to be fair though I really only feel the standard has improved enough to suit what is deemed acceptable to western market consumers in recent times, a lot of the early product wasn't that great, so if anything the product is now good enough for the markets that are just starting to discover the benefits of dashcamming, good timing I feel

I believe they are in the throws of catching on, consumer awareness in western markets is really only just starting to wake up to them now

I've known about DashCams for several years, but the critical mass of interest finally pushed me to buy one after watching this Daily Show episode.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-19-2013/how-i-meteored-your-motherland

After that show, I remember doing a Google search which lead me immediately to DashCamTalk.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dashcam+forum

When I discovered 1080P DVR DashCam's were below $100 I was ready to join the club! I'm never going back and will be convincing all my friends and family to get one. The Western Wave is just beginning to build.

there has certainly been awareness by early adopter types, mainstream though most people don't even have any concept of what they are let alone availability, what to buy etc

Before I "wanted" a DashCam, I had the wrong mind set that I would whip out my iPhone to record what happened at the tail end or after the fact. That thinking was flawed since what we really need is the actual event, not the tail end or afterwards. We really need a set it and forget it appliance reliable DVR recorder ready for action. Eventually more and more New & Used car dealers will offer a dealer approved DashCam or after market add-on.

before I wanted one I went and tried a whole bunch of them and found out that most of what's available is garbage, at that point I decided to build my own, and here we are

I love when people do that. I was a fan of Windows Home Server (V1). This original old version let you keep adding additional hard drives (via "Drive Extender") and Windows would increase the Pool to one Giant seamless shared folder. (never ending, just add a new drive and wham-o)

Well of Course Microsoft took away Drive Extender in Windows Home Server 2011.
("The" whole point of why running Windows Home Server was better than using Regular Windows!) The new Spaces thing Microsoft finally added back in Windows 8 sucks, still love DrivePool better.

Alex from http://stablebit.com was just as frustrated as everyone else. In less than 6 months he wrote his very own Drive Pooling Add-on! (StableBit DrivePool)
It's leaps and bounds better than the original. I now running DrivePool 2.0 on my Windows 8.1 Mini-PC home server. (several 3TB hard drives)

So pretty much the same thing, if you don't like what's available, or a feature was taken away, do it yourself! (love people that take action like that)
Jokiin has been on the DashCam trail all year, absorbing every possible piece of DashCam feed back on here. :)

I expect soon all new cars to have dashcams. But not in the way some companies are making them now something like a blackbox. People expect to copy or take out the videos from the blackbox not to be untouched.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have been using camcorders as dashcams for years before my first real car dvr. I recall the days where a DVR-027 would cost over $150.

I was in Korea a couple of months ago and saw that almost all cars had dashcams (I think they perfer the term blackbox over there). A friend told me that having a dashcam also lowers insurance rates. I think that would be a nice incentive in the US or other countries so that more drivers use dashcams.

Despite the lack of dashcam popularity/awareness in the US, I'm surprised that luxury car manufacturers are not equiping their cars with dashcams (built-in or stand-alone). Amongst plethora of safety/tech features nowadays, I would think that a dashcam could also play a critical/attractive role...

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in an introduction thread, I am a retired Police Officer. After decades being a street cop, I've personally investigated hundreds of traffic accidents and then when you consider my last 10 years was as a Sergeant, those hundreds exponentially grew to over a thousand since I was required to read, evaluate then approve several written accident investigations from officers under me...daily. Officer investigated traffic accidents are not done in the interest of crime solving...they're done to make insurance companies jobs easier. That absolutely infuriated cops out there devoting hours daily to the task of accident investigation.

Cops would love nothing more than to arrive at the scene of an accident, where someone actually had video evidence of what happened, where we wouldn't have to listen to 5-10 almost completely different accounts of what happened from "so called" eye witnesses. Often times, it (almost) comes down to a flip of the coin to determine who was at fault. In those cases and there are quite a few of them, we write down on the report, "fault undetermined" However, there are cops who, through good intention, put the wrong person at fault. That, unfortunately leaves that "at fault" motorist to have to fend for themselves with their insurance company. Now of course, insurance companies have the final say as to who they determine to be at fault...they don't have to go along with the police officer's written investigation, but, unless there is the potential for a major litigation, those reports are almost always accepted. In all of those accident investigations, I've only seen ONE with Dash-Cam evidence...ONLY ONE, and of the 5 or so cars involved in the pile up, not one of them had the Dash-Cam...it was on a car not even involved in the accident. He forgot he had the camera up and running until days later, right before the file was overwritten.

From my best recollection, it was discovered that the one vehicle noted as P-1 (symbol for the 1st primary vehicle at fault) was not even close to being at fault. He was so relieved to hear that and I suspect his insurance company was equally pleased since several people at the scene were transported to hospitals with mysterious "Neck and Back" injuries. On a side note, you guys are gonna like this part. One of the vehicles involved was a pick up truck and it nearly overturned at the scene. The driver of the pick up truck was concerned about a very expensive large but portable electric generator that was dislodged and flew out of the bed of his truck. He was equally upset when he was told at the hospital officers didn't find any kind of generator at the scene. Well, when we reviewed the Dash-Cam video of the accident days later, we were able to clearly see two or three guys get out of a non-involved truck at the scene and in broad daylight pick up a large piece of equipment at the curb and after placing it in their truck, speed off. The camera wasn't good enough at the time to read the plate, but it was able to read the business name on the side of the truck. Officers went to that business and were able to eventually ID the 3 men, all of whom were subsequently charged with possession of stolen property...a felony and the generator, though only slightly damaged but still useable, was returned to the owner who had no insurance to cover the loss.

The owner of the business stepped up and did the right thing...he told the owner of the generator his company would repair or replace the generator for him because of what his ex-employees did

So...Yes, I along with lots of cops I know, wish more motorists out there would arm themselves with Dash-Cams. It's a total mystery why it never caught on here, but I suspect it will real soon thanks to Forums like this.
This has to be on of the most enjoyable articles I have read in a long time. Especially liked the part about the chumps that took off with the generator. Thanks for sharing! :)

My Little sister just got her first new car, and i want her to get a dash cam too.
Problem she is a alone mom with kids to spend her meager earnings on, and i am without a job at the moment and therefore allso pretty poor.

I hope i can find a job soon, or sell some of my proberty to give her a dash cam.

Some days ago here i read in the newspaper about a guy who witnessed a thief on his own boat, he then called the police and was told that they did not have time for that kind of crime at that time, so he had to call a friend and then go and overpower the thief them self ( not recomended as many bandits here are better armed than the police )
Then they called the police Again and told them that they had the burgalar "arrested", and by then the police have found some time and arrived en mass ( 3 cars )

Calling the police about about a DUI can be invane here too, even if the guy allmost run ppl down on the sidewalk.

I am so glad i dont have children myself, cuz i would find it really hard to look them in ther eyes. :(

So...Yes, I along with lots of cops I know, wish more motorists out there would arm themselves with Dash-Cams. It's a total mystery why it never caught on here, but I suspect it will real soon thanks to Forums like this.[/quote]

Thank you very much for sharing these truths about the benefits to all involved, we look forward to hearing more from your perspective.:)

This has to be on of the most enjoyable articles I have read in a long time. Especially liked the part about the chumps that took off with the generator. Thanks for sharing! :)
Thank you for the kind words!

This raises the issue of having a camera that records, but does not have an LCD for playback, like the Mobius. You have a video of the events, but have no way to show the police. (Assume that you don't have a smart cell phone or other device that can play back the video.) If the officer assumes that you are at fault, but later the video shows otherwise, are you fighting an uphill battle later on? Would it be better to have a unit that could play back the video after the accident?

I am not sure if the policeman will come into your car to watch the video. When you will tell him you have the recording I think he will understand this and this is enough for him. Maybe he will tell you to keep it as an evidence or even to give him or to the police in some official way.

But if you have a smartphone and a wireless dashcam, with the smartphone in the hand, outside of your car, maybe the policeman can look just few seconds at your video just to believe you. And also with a wireless dashcam you can create in that moments a copy of your video in your smartphone so you can even give the card to the policeman as an evidence without thinking somebody will lose your important evidence.

This is why I am a big fan of wireless dashcams. I already have one (Itronics ITB-250HD) I like it most from all my 7 dashcams and the future definitive dashcam on my car will be forever wireless.
"The future definitive dashcam" of me will be with only lens on the windshield, separate dvr and for sure wireless. I will wait for it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if the policeman will come into your car to watch the video.

I think if you tell them you have video that backs up your story or more importantly refutes what they might otherwise be ready to believe from someone else they'd be interested to know, last thing they want to do is do a bunch of reports and then later have to redo everything

I am trying to say that are more chances for a policeman to look at my smartphone, out from my car, instead of entering in my car even just with his head.
I even don't now if they can go into a car and if their regulations accept a policeman to enter into somebody car. It is also about their safety.

Also you know that almost people here are hiding the camera under the rearview mirror (even is a camera with display and is possible to need it) so is almost impossible to watch a video without unmounting the dashcam or the mirror. When unmounting the dashcam the driver must to take out also the power wire because many dashcams have capacitors inside so playback is impossible without permanent power.

And to not "redo everything", the best for policeman is to have the evidence before the video witness leave the accident scene. Again, with a smartphone, wirelessly you can have the backup and give the card without any fear.

For me is very simple and good this wireless idea. Many people think is useless or too much for them. But someday they will learn is a must.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back