The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Not sure about the sensor and 4K quality, you can also follow the RCGroups link for reference.
If checked the photo quality, seems not the IMX078, I thought IMX078 can do better.
Thanks very much gitup. I just read the RCGroups thread with great interest. I hope when my Eken finally arrives it's not a brick!

Thanks again and cheers.:)

Not sure about the sensor and 4K quality
I think you are the ONLY chinese company which in 2015 was launching a camera on the market which can do 4K interpolated from the first firmware but you didn't wrote or advertised anywhere that your GitUp Git2 camera as 4K camera with fantastic UltraHD video quality and other bla-bla.

From our side of the world you were correct but I imagine that some competition from China was laughing a lot or considered you a dumb company to have a Sony CMOS, recording at 2160p and not write big 4K on the front case. And GitUp was one of the first cameras from 2015 with 2160p recording.
I think some of them came to HK Expo from 2016 to see how is looking a strange chinese man which refused to lie.

And now the big question: do you have any plans to write 4K on GitUp Git2 product and websites trying to promote the real 4K recording of Git2 without any interpolation but in 4:3 format? Because after a firmware update Git2 can do 2160p without any interpolation but as 4:3 format (2880x2160).

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks very much gitup. I just read the RCGroups thread with
great interest. I hope when my Eken finally arrives it's not a brick!:)
I've EKEN H8R - and I am disappointed! It's a bad fake camera - 4K/30fps are doubled 4K/15fps,
1080/60fps are doubled 1080/30fps. Quality is okay, but these formats are UNUSABLE.

Setting 2.7k/30fps ... 2x ... each time H8R was frozen, I had to reflash firmware, otherwise it was DEAD!
Firmware is 100% banana soft, don't buy this sh.. !

Hmmm ... EKEN H9 has (real!) 1080/60fps!

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/FwYvsUV5/file.html

I have SJ6000/SJ8000/M20 (not SJCAM). These cameras are okay, they produce good videos, first up to 1080/30fps,
SJ8000/M20 up to 4K/24fps (from 2880x2160). Novatek does good work :)

EKEN H8R has some advantages: OLED display on front side, remote, use of 128gb cards (even exFAT) ..
but a lot of disadvantages. My "best" camera is SJ8000 with many good features - in 40 menu points

bn6uHbh.jpg

Last edited:
Today one solution company asked me if I have interesting about their 4K camera, actually I don't have much interesting, but he still want to visit us.
Their 4K camera only cost $30.

Today one solution company asked me if I have interesting about their 4K camera, actually I don't have much interesting, but he still want to visit us.
Their 4K camera only cost $30.
For $30 I would only expect to see the letter K printed 4 times in a row on the front panel. :D

I've EKEN H8R - and I am disappointed! It's a bad fake camera - 4K/30fps are doubled 4K/15fps,
1080/60fps are doubled 1080/30fps. Quality is okay, but these formats are UNUSABLE.

Setting 2.7k/30fps ... 2x ... each time H8R was frozen, I had to reflash firmware, otherwise it was DEAD!
Firmware is 100% banana soft, don't buy this sh.. !

Hmmm ... EKEN H9 has (real!) 1080/60fps!

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/FwYvsUV5/file.html

I have SJ6000/SJ8000/M20 (not SJCAM). These cameras are okay, they produce good videos, first up to 1080/30fps,
SJ8000/M20 up to 4K/24fps (from 2880x2160). Novatek does good work :)

EKEN H8R has some advantages: OLED display on front side, remote, use of 128gb cards (even exFAT) ..
but a lot of disadvantages. My "best" camera is SJ8000 with many good features - in 40 menu points

bn6uHbh.jpg
Thanks Pytha. I hope my Eken won't be as bad as yours but your experience doesn't bode well.

should
1. That ELE page was created in 2015 on december 30. At that time the IMX117 Sony CMOS was not supported by Novatek NT96660 .
2. Why to use an expensive CMOS which can do real 4K at 60FPS if the camera can output max the fake 4K at just 24FPS?

enjoy,
Mtz
It seems you were quite right about the Elephone Explorer Pro Mtz. I've now begun testing it and guess what? When set at 2K or 4K it only records audio, no video, and the voice feedback feature doesn't work.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem with the Elephone Explorer Pro?

EDIT: After installing another program to playback the videos both the 2K and 4K videos work fine. They playback with both the audio and the video. I withdraw my implication that the Elephone Explorer Pro should be added to the list of shame. While the question of interpolation of 4K might remain, this is disclosed in the Elephone specifications.

Last edited:
It seems you were quite right about the Elephone Explorer Pro Mtz. I've now begun testing it and guess what? When set at 2K or 4K it only records audio, no video, and the voice feedback feature doesn't work.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem with the Elephone Explorer Pro?
I think it has only just become available so your review will tell people if it is to be avoided or not. I quite liked the non-Pro Ele Explorer, but most of that worked OK, I'm not sure you should expect much in the way of firmware updates.

I think it has only just become available so your review will tell people if it is to be avoided or not. I quite liked the non-Pro Ele Explorer, but most of that worked OK, I'm not sure you should expect much in the way of firmware updates.
Yes, it has only just become available. The firmware is dated March of this year so I'm sure that's the latest and only version available. I contacted Elephone directly but they want me to provide an order number. However, the camera was purchased for me from GearBest by the review website editor, i.e., it wasn't a direct purchase from Elephone. I've also contacted GearBest and I'm waiting for a reply.

I've done an online search to see if anyone else has had this problem with the Explorer Pro but as you say, it's only just become available. The few articles and reviews I've found merely praise the specs; they aren't real reviews. I'm trying to determine if this is a design problem or if my camera is a one-off sample defect.

Yes, it has only just become available. The firmware is dated March of this year so I'm sure that's the latest and only version available. I contacted Elephone directly but they want me to provide an order number. However, the camera was purchased for me from GearBest by the review website editor, i.e., it wasn't a direct purchase from Elephone. I've also contacted GearBest and I'm waiting for a reply.

I've done an online search to see if anyone else has had this problem with the Explorer Pro but as you say, it's only just become available. The few articles and reviews I've found merely praise the specs; they aren't real reviews. I'm trying to determine if this is a design problem or if my camera is a one-off sample defect.
Gearbest will have sent you a normal production unit, not a special review sample. I'm sure they will try to help, but they are just selling them, you are the expert, they have supplied it to you partly for them to find out if it is any good!

Are you sure the video isn't recorded? Maybe you have a codec issue on your computer, try another display device or update your codecs...

Gearbest will have sent you a normal production unit, not a special review sample. I'm sure they will try to help, but they are just selling them, you are the expert, they have supplied it to you partly for them to find out if it is any good!

Are you sure the video isn't recorded? Maybe you have a codec issue on your computer, try another display device or update your codecs...
Actually I'm NOT an expert. I'm approaching this as an average consumer who does not have any special knowledge of action cams and that's the actual truth of the matter.

I couldn't find any information about required OS or codecs in the Elephone information. I'm not computer savvy at all so I don't know how to check codecs or how to update them. I have a Windows 7 computer. However, you raise a good point so I checked playback on the camera itself and it does in fact playback both the 2K and 4K videos. Apparently something does need to be updated on my computer.

I might need to go back and withdraw my comment about adding the Explorer Pro to the List of Shame.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention Nigel.

EDIT: That only leaves the non-functional voice feedback.

Last edited:
Actually I'm NOT an expert. I'm approaching this as an average consumer who does not have any special knowledge of action cams and that's the actual truth of the matter.

I couldn't find any information about required OS or codecs in the Elephone information. I'm not computer savvy at all so I don't know how to check codecs or how to update them. I have a Windows 7 computer. However, you raise a good point so I checked playback on the camera itself and it does in fact playback both the 2K and 4K videos. Apparently something does need to be updated on my computer.

I might need to go back and withdraw my comment about adding the Explorer Pro to the List of Shame.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention Nigel.

EDIT: That only leaves the non-functional voice feedback.
Well, then you are the sort of expert they like, as your view is likely to be the same as their customers views. If they gave it to a movie camera man then he would likely declare it to be rubbish even though many of their customers will be very pleased with it!

Try installing the K-Lite Codec Pack on your Windows 7 computer, of course the need to do so needs to go in your review, preferably with an explanation of why it was necessary when other cameras worked fine without...

Well, then you are the sort of expert they like, as your view is likely to be the same as their customers views. If they gave it to a movie camera man then he would likely declare it to be rubbish even though many of their customers will be very pleased with it!

Try installing the K-Lite Codec Pack on your Windows 7 computer, of course the need to do so needs to go in your review, preferably with an explanation of why it was necessary when other cameras worked fine without...
Somebody recommended I try installing MPC-HC to playback 2K and 4K videos. I installed it and now the playback works fine.

I must thank you again Nigel for pointing out that it could be my computer and not the camera. This is a good lesson and one I'll keep in mind. Of course Elephone should have mentioned this somewhere and the episode will be described in my review. I'll go back to my original post and withdraw my recommendation that it be put on the list of shame.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
I've found that since I started using VLC instead of media player classic (which I used for a long time as it came w/ real alternative - which that right there really dates it!), I haven't needed to install ANY codec packs, and pretty much everything Just Works.

I've found that since I started using VLC instead of media player classic (which I used for a long time as it came w/ real alternative - which that right there really dates it!), I haven't needed to install ANY codec packs, and pretty much everything Just Works.
Oddly I found that I can now play 2K and 4K not just with MPC but also with QuickTime. Just as odd (at least to me) is that 2K and especially 4K are jerkier with QuickTime than with MPC.

Oddly I found that I can now play 2K and 4K not just with MPC but also with QuickTime. Just as odd (at least to me) is that 2K and especially 4K are jerkier with QuickTime than with MPC.
i highly recommend that you uninstall quicktime - ASAP. there are 2 major security vulnerabilities in it that are actively being exploited on the internet, and apple has NO plans to fix them. it's a crap program compared to VLC and MPC anyway - it can't do anything that those two can't. good riddance.
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...for-windows-despite-2-active-vulnerabilities/
this article says they don't think they're being exploited, but it's a few weeks old now, and more hackers are aware of it so there's no chance they won't try using these vulnerabilities.

VLC is a good program, but not good for 4K - I use always MPC-HC for 4K ... with no problems.
VLC often freezes 4K, MPC-HC never.

i highly recommend that you uninstall quicktime - ASAP. there are 2 major security vulnerabilities in it that are actively being exploited on the internet, and apple has NO plans to fix them. it's a crap program compared to VLC and MPC anyway - it can't do anything that those two can't. good riddance.
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...for-windows-despite-2-active-vulnerabilities/
this article says they don't think they're being exploited, but it's a few weeks old now, and more hackers are aware of it so there's no chance they won't try using these vulnerabilities.
Right you are. I also found this notice from the US Department of Homeland Security. I'm uninstalling it right away.

Back