The Lukas LK7950-WD has landed - dual channel TI / Sony IMX322 dashcam with Wi-Fi - Ongoing review

I'm hoping they'll release a new firmware for the Lukas that fixes this after the recent trade shows which I can only assume they're focussing on.

I had the issue once on firmware Fi05 but it seemed to be more you would be missing video from the main card when an event happened and that was written to the microSD - Fi07 just seems to have lots of issues.

The X2 has been behaving nicely with Lexar 633x 64GB cards for me - as they use a dedicated CSR Coach CPU for each channel with it's own microSD it doesn't tend to have this problem and runs at a much higher bitrate.

I run the Lukas on the highest quality setting though - @GeoffADI it's interesting you're still getting it on the lowest. If you format the cards with SDFormatter 4.0 and then try that does the problem go away until it starts looping files or does it happen on a fresh card? You normally see problems like this where the card can't handle deleting files and creating new ones at the same time but as it seems to affect Fi07 more than Fi05 it does sound like they've ****ed something up along the way.

they had a stand at the Seoul motor show and I think they might also be at the Shanghai motor show starting on the 22 april.....Ipol

I formatted and checked the Lukas full size SD card out tonight:

upload_2015-4-19_21-10-42.png

I did notice that for the last few hundred MB it dropped to around 1MB/sec - that would definitely be enough to cause this sort of problem - as the card leaves a percentage free for motion videos etc maybe it's the wear levelling at work?

Still no response from Lukas and the 7950 continues to have problems with the CHK error with multiple SD cards everytime the bitrate goes above a certain level across both channels.

Until this issue is fixed I really wouldn't recommend this camera as it's a very fundamental issue.

Hopefully they'll fix this in a newer firmware than Fi07.

I formatted and checked the Lukas full size SD card out tonight:

View attachment 12974

I did notice that for the last few hundred MB it dropped to around 1MB/sec - that would definitely be enough to cause this sort of problem - as the card leaves a percentage free for motion videos etc maybe it's the wear levelling at work?
If that's the case then using another brand SD card would resolve the issue, no?

If that's the case then using another brand SD card would resolve the issue, no?
No, it's a camera issue where it can't cope writing data above a certain bitrate to both channels at once - same problem on a fresh card.

There's no issue with the cards I've tried but it gets the same CHK errors at the same points in time - the Lukas shows CHK errors writing around 12Mbps across both channels at the same time - the same card works at 20Mbps in a Panorama no issues so it's a Lukas issue they need to fix.

No, it's a camera issue where it can't cope writing data above a certain bitrate to both channels at once - same problem on a fresh card.

There's no issue with the cards I've tried but it gets the same CHK errors at the same points in time - the Lukas shows CHK errors writing around 12Mbps across both channels at the same time - the same card works at 20Mbps in a Panorama no issues so it's a Lukas issue they need to fix.
That's weird because my unit never had those errors, except the one time when I had wifi live view on while recording.

GeoffADI hit it on the head mate with the trees comment - I'm working away at the moment and on the way in there is an area with a lot of high trees on both sides of a narrow road - it triggers CHK on the Lukas every time with every card I've tried.

At a guess they need to put a cap on the highest bitrate it can use so it doesn't try and write too much to two files at the same time as that'll be what is killing it.

Hmmm... I'll see if there is an area here with lots of trees and test.

GeoffADI hit it on the head mate with the trees comment - I'm working away at the moment and on the way in there is an area with a lot of high trees on both sides of a narrow road - it triggers CHK on the Lukas every time with every card I've tried.

At a guess they need to put a cap on the highest bitrate it can use so it doesn't try and write too much to two files at the same time as that'll be what is killing it.
Have you got any video from the GC at that location? Had someone yesterday asking how it went under those circumstances, they were wanting to compare to the Finevue 500 but not a model I've looked at so not sure how well those work in the same situation

Yeah certainly have mate - I'm on a customer site at the min so back home for the weekend tonight and will upload a load of footage :)

Hmmm... I'll see if there is an area here with lots of trees and test.

Just looked at my video clips (set at 5min and highest video quality). The largest file sizes are 324,833KB and 298,767KB for the front and the rear accordingly, regular file sizes were 268,800KB and 193,400KB, the footage were recorded at 3-lane road in sunny afternoon with lots of high trees on both sides.

My 7950 doesn't have such an issue. My SD card is Sandisk Extreme 64Gb. I think following conditions could cause CHK on Lukas:

1. Footage recorded road lots of trees would have much more details, therefore, larger file and needed higher bit-rate; and
2. Full SD card will slow down writing speed as deleting older files involved.

Last edited:
Still no response from Lukas

Oh dear....... I like this cam but after time and drinks reading this thread the X2 is stepping up.

J'voos new unreleased cam looks interesting.

Just looked at my video clips (set at 5min and highest video quality). The largest file sizes are 324,833KB and 298,767KB for the front and the rear accordingly, the footage were recorded at 3-lane road in sunny afternoon with lots of trees on both sides. The regular file sizes were 268,800KB and 193,400KB.

My 7950 doesn't have such an issue. My SD card is Sandisk Extreme 64Gb. I think following conditions could cause CHK on Lukas:

1. Footage recorded road lots of trees would have much more details, therefore, larger file and needed higher bit-rate; and
2. Full SD card will slow down writing speed as deleting older files involved.
1. My unit also doesn't have issue so it may be isolated to @reverend .

I don't think 2. is valid as the card is always full on dashcams.
It's only empty first few hours of initial install or after format.

This is from QA of Lukas website.
5. When Power Safety Device is used, formatting the SD Card every 2~3 days is advisable.
-File deletion and writing of automatic process can impose a heavy burden on SD Card. This over-work can damage the file.

So I think an empty card could improve the system performance compared to a full one, and by formatting SD card before it's full may solve CHK issue.

This is from QA of Lukas website.
5. When Power Safety Device is used, formatting the SD Card every 2~3 days is advisable.
-File deletion and writing of automatic process can impose a heavy burden on SD Card. This over-work can damage the file.

So I think an empty card could improve the system performance compared to a full one, and by formatting SD card before it's full may solve CHK issue.
That may help but formatting every 2-3 days is too much maintenance.
Lukas has a auto format schedule that is better choice than manual. :)

1. My unit also doesn't have issue so it may be isolated to @reverend .

Hang on mate there are two more people just in this thread with the same problem so it's not isolated to me.

Also the Lukas card is never full if you don't use parking mode as it has the split for normal videos and parking videos and if you're not running it in parking mode the Lukas keeps that space free which makes the issue even stranger to be honest. The least you can tell it to have free is 5 or 10% currently (think it's 5% tbh).

Hopefully it can be fixed but I've had countless issues with it the last two weeks with CHK errors with different cards and at the same time the X2 and SG9665GC have no issues at all.

I'm hoping the no feedback is a sign they're working on fixing it but we'll see. I want to help them improve it but if they won't respond to me then it's difficult.

Hang on mate there are two more people just in this thread with the same problem so it's not isolated to me.
I'm hoping the no feedback is a sign they're working on fixing it but we'll see. I want to help them improve it but if they won't respond to me then it's difficult.
I see.
As for the feedback, they are not aggressive but have responded to few issues I emailed them and said they are working on those.

When was the last time you heard from them mate if you don't mind me asking?

They haven't replied since March 9th to any feedback I've sent which is poor tbh.

Back