The Lukas LK7950-WD has landed - dual channel TI / Sony IMX322 dashcam with Wi-Fi - Ongoing review

IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1349.JPG I am going to wait until my video review is up before posting my thread, you and sunny seem to have it covered for now so once I am done using mine ill drop it all at once and maybe post her ein the mean time.

here are some comparison shots.

my first impression is the plastic feels a little cheap. i also don't like the glossy look of it but these are just cosmetic complaints. I have not hooked it up yet. I actually need to review the blackvue 750 first but hope to get both tested and reviewed over the next 2-3 weeks. excited to finally try another "higher end" wifi model with no screen.

One of the guys I work with has a BlackVue 750 and the daytime video looked good on the laptop - to be fair the Lukas does a good job when you think it's only recording at an average of 7 + 5 Mbps for front and rear but it's a shame they don't offer higher bitrate options now that faster cards are available.

I've asked if it can be changed at all so will see what they say :)

Looking forward to watching your upcoming videos mate :)

I may give the Lukas a matte black spray job too. It would look way better IMO.

Hooking it up this weekend. Haven't had time this week.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lukas on a few problems mate, so far they all seem like things that can be fixed in software but we shall see.

I'm guessing you'll see the same problems - last files that won't play in the Lukas Viewer and issues with the milage covered shown in the video footer.

I might crack it open as I'm not sure whether mine is actually totally in focus - it's harder to tell with the lower bitrate this uses.

Hardware wise it's been flawless so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK that's weird - went to get some footage off the camera just now and it's looping at just 20.6GB used in the AlwaysMovie folder and there's 9.4GB free on the card.

I'm guessing the Lukas must have a hard limit in terms of what it will use for normal video and what it reserves for event and motion footage - @kamkar1 your comment the other day makes more sense now about wasted space on cards.

I've got Fi07 loaded on so will see how the camera performs now but the space thing wasn't what I expected after using the X2 for six months.

OK a bad bug in Fi05 but may be fixed in Fi07.

Basically a car pulled out of me earlier and the normal video stops and has a couple of seconds missing then resumes with him on the other side of the road.

Feels like when the event is created that the data isn't written to the main video - something to keep an eye on for sure as that's potentially a showstopper that needs fixing as if the event card goes bad you have potentially nothing.

I'll try again on Fi07 tomorrow.

OK that's weird - went to get some footage off the camera just now and it's looping at just 20.6GB used in the AlwaysMovie folder and there's 9.4GB free on the card.

I'm guessing the Lukas must have a hard limit in terms of what it will use for normal video and what it reserves for event and motion footage -
I don't think that's what's happening as it uses the microSD for events, not full size SD card.
Maybe for motion but that is only if it's designed not to overwrite always clips so needs it's own space.

Yeah to be honest I should have looked harder mate - there is a setting for what gets what and it turns out it's a hard limit rather than a soft limit, so if you don't use parking mode you will never use 5% of the memory card as you can see from the screenshot below.

As these come with the permanent power cable there's not really any reason not to use parking mode though.

img_3354-png.11668

Fi07 doesn't really seem any different video quality wise to Fi05. Tweaks can definitely be made as it does feel like the video is being upsampled for some reason as there's loads of processing being done.

Settings wise I didn't spot anything different in the app but the phone app is still the same version.

On the plus side it looks like the issue with the milage increment on the video footer is now working properly and not racing up at three times the speed you d0 - so I just travelled say 20 miles and it showed 20 miles on the video.

Also I had an event and the video was there so looks like that is fixed too.

Yeah to be honest I should have looked harder mate - there is a setting for what gets what and it turns out it's a hard limit rather than a soft limit, so if you don't use parking mode you will never use 5% of the memory card as you can see from the screenshot below.
So max you can use for Always is 95% . That's not too bad.

I need to read on hard wiring on how it's done.

The plonker of the day award goes to this van driver:

Just for a laugh here is the comparison to the Xiaomi Yi being used as a dashcam which uses a much higher resolution Sony Exmor sensor - you can see the Lukas at first glance oversaturates the image but when you look closely you'll see the proper dashcam makes all the details such as numberplates pop and it is sharpened up much more (surprisingly the Xiaomi Yi doesn't seem to suffer from oversharpening like a lot of Ambarella based cameras).

It was pretty hard to get them both in the same direction as neither had screens so it's rough and ready but shows the benefits of using a dashcam which is tuned for details.

Did a penetration test on the Lukas LK7950WD yesterday and it looks like it's pretty locked down on Fi07 - just a web server which will be used for settings and streaming and bizarrely it's running a mail server too!

Covered over 300 miles yesterday and no issues with long trips.

Hoping to make a road trip this weekend with the lukas and dr750. haven't had much time to check footage even. I wish I didn't have to sleep.

OK the issue with incorrect milage reported on the video is still out with Fi07 but it's definitely better than it was in Fi05.

Beforehand it was telling me I'd done over 200 miles when I'd actually travelled 70 - now it's saying 170 miles when I'd actually done 137 - it's closer but still out by some margin.

OK the issue with incorrect milage reported on the video is still out with Fi07 but it's definitely better than it was in Fi05.

Beforehand it was telling me I'd done over 200 miles when I'd actually travelled 70 - now it's saying 170 miles when I'd actually done 137 - it's closer but still out by some margin.
hahaha... so it may need few more fw updates to get down to actual miles.
I haven't noticed any unusual mileage on mine.
In fact, it was pretty accurate of 33 miles last time I checked.

Yeah there's definitely a drift in there, maybe it's the way they're working out milage which is still 20% off the target - it does seem to get it wrong more at certain speeds.

It will get better with newer firmwares as they improve it.

I've uploaded comparison footage with the Panorama X2 in these threads:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/panorama-x2-1-02-04-vs-lukas-lk-7950-wd-fi07-day.10528/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/panorama-x2-1-02-04-vs-lukas-lk-7950-wd-fi07-evening.10529/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/panorama-x2-1-02-04-vs-lukas-lk-7950-wd-fi07-night.10530/

Back