The message is clear. Don't mess with the Uber driver.

Except that in the UK it is illegal to carry a knife as a weapon, so over most of the country there is no chance of it being an issue.
Yes there are a few small communities where there are many problems including both knifes and guns, but they are not normal even if the press has taken an interest in them recently making the problems seem commonplace.

Seriously?

Fatal stabbings in London in 2018
January 1 – Steve Frank Navarez-Jara, 20, Islington
January 3 – Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, Redbridge
January 8 – Daniel Frederick, 34, died in Hackney
January 9 – Dami Odeyingbo, 18, stabbed in Bromley
January 11 – Harry Uzoka, 25, killed in Shepherd’s Bush
January 28 – Yaya Mbye, 26, stabbed in Stoke Newington
January 29 – Juan Olmos Saca, 39, stabbed in Peckham
January 31 – Khader Saleh, 25, stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison
February 3 – Hassan Ozcan, 19, knifed in Barking
February 3 – Kwabena Nelson, a youth worker, died after being stabbed near his home in Tottenham
February 8 – Hannah Leonard, 55, stabbed in a flat in Camden
February 11 – Sabri Chibani, 19, stabbed in Streatham
February 13 – Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed in Ilford
February 14 – Lord Promise Nkenda, 17, stabbed in Canning Town
February 18 – Lewis Blackman, 19, knifed in Kensington
February 19 – Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, stabbed in Southall
February 20 – Sadiq Mohammed, 20, stabbed in Camden
February 20 – Abdikarim Hassan, 17, stabbed in Camden
February 25 – Michael Boyle, 44, stabbed in the chest
March 1 – Christopher Beaumont, 42, stabbed in Hammersmith
March 5 – Laura Figueira, 47, stabbed in Twickenham
March 5 – Kelva Smith, 20, knifed in Croydon
March 14 – Lyndon Davis, 18, stabbed in Chadwell Heath
March 16 – Naomi Hersi, 36, found with stab wounds at hotel near Heathrow Airport
March 17 – Russell Jones, 23, stabbed in Enfield
March 18 – Tyrone Silcot, 41, stabbed in Hackney
March 19 – Balbir Johal, 48, knifed in Southall
March 19 – A 41-year-old was stabbed to death in Waltham Forest
March 20 – Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, stabbed at Stratford shopping centre
March 26 – David Potter, 50, stabbed in Tooting
March 29 – Reece Tshoma, 23, stabbed in Plumstead
March 30 – Leyla Mtumwa, 36, found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey
April 1 – A 20-year-old was stabbed in Wandsworth
April 4 – A 38-year-old man was stabbed at a house in Lewisham
April 4 – Israel Ogunsola, 18, was stabbed to death in Hackney on 4 April. Police were alerted by a motorist and performed first aid but the teenager died at the scene
April 5 – Five teenagers and one man were stabbed in London within a space of 24 hours. One of the victims was aged 13 and left fighting for his life
April 9 – A man in his 70s was stabbed four times and robbed as he returned to his Harold Hill home after collecting his pension
April 12 – A woman in her 20s was arrested after stabbing a man in Isle of Dogs on April 12, 2018.
April 15 – A man named locally as Raul Nicolaie was knifed to death just before 6pm in Colindale, North London.
April 15 – Samantha Clarke, 38, was stabbed to death in Brixton, South West London, just after 6.30pm and police arrested a man in his 20s.
April 20 – Aaron Springett, 32, died after he was found collapsed in Morden, South West London, just before 1o.30pm. A 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of murder.
April 21 – A man, 20, was stabbed to death in Finsbury Park, north London, as a leading surgeon warned of a “summer of carnage” in the capital
May 17 – A man, 24, was stabbed to death in Crows Road, Barking at around 11.30pm.
May 20 – A man in his 20s stabbed in Mitcham, South London
May 21 – Marcel Campbell, 20, was stabbed to death just yards from Islington town hall in North London
May 30 – A man, believed to be in his 40s, was stabbed to death in Kensington, West London.
June 1 – A woman was found stabbed to death in Brent, North West London.
June 9 – Edmond Jonuzi, 35, was stabbed to death close to Turnpike Land Tube station in North London in what is believed to be a drugs related attack.
June 23 – Jordan Douherty, 15, becomes the youngest to be stabbed in London this year after being knifed in the heart in Romford, East London.
June 27 – A man, 20, was stabbed to death on an estate in Edmonton, North London.
June 30 – Four people were stabbed at the Garage Nation festival in East London.
July 2 – a 14-year-old boy was repeatedly stabbed on Fairbridge Road, Islington
July 14 – Katerina Makunova, 17, was killed after a stabbing in Camberwell.
July 25 – An 18-year-old man, Latwaan Griffiths, was stabbed to death in Camberwell.
August 1 – Incognito, 23, was stabbed to death in Camberwell
August 1 – Two other men were also stabbed at the scene where Incognito was killed. They were taken to hospital.
August 5 – Man in his 20s fatally stabbed in Cambridge Gardens, Kingston-Upon-Thames.
August 15 – Nurse Simonne Kerr, 31, was stabbed to death at her home in Grayshott Road, in Battersea
August 16 – At about 5.15pm four boys were stabbed in a “gang knife fight” in Elmington Estate, Camberwell – reportedly leaving two “disembowelled” and there were claims it was over a “belt”
August 17 – A 42-year-old man was attacked just before 4.40am at a home in Waltham Forest, East London
August 17 – A 63-year-old man was found stabbed to death in Walworth, south-east London

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

All of them in London, surely some people got stabbed in the rest of the country? London is only a small part of the UK.
How does that compare to the figures from 10 and 100 years ago? I've no idea if it is good or bad!

Totals don't seem to have changed much since 1990, not found info from before that.
_99744223_2chart-rise_knife_crime-nebjt-nc.png

Knifes are little used and guns don't even appear:
_99664885_weapon_used-nc.png

Not very surprising :
DLKCxPOVYAccb5r.jpg

Last edited:
That list is JUST for London, and JUST the fatalities. (Looks like a few non - fatalities have slipped into the list.)

I don't know the stats, but you rarely used to hear about stabbings. Now every week (if not daily) you hear about several stabbings, usually with a fatality or two.

London has completely changed in the last 10 years, I've lived here all my life, it isn't the media making up how bad it is. The violence affects all areas of London, and the nature of it is the real change, its just so random with little or no provocation.

The worst thing is how so many schoolkids think they have to be in gangs... to protect themselves from other gangs. So they have to carry knives. And they are the same when they leave school. It's all descending into chaos.

Mmmmm
How long should a person have to wait and process a comment before a potential shot is fired from the offending party?

Maybe a valid question, but the wrong one in this case. The moment that ExUber realized the truck creep was intentionally making him stop, he should have had his hand on the gear lever and checked the mirror so he could reverse out of there in a hurry if needed. And that would be a really good choice even if not positively needed. He didn't process any thoughts until there was only one option left. He is at best a dullard, and somehow he's fit to be a cop with a gun. The appropriate question here is why ExUber made no effort to avoid a confrontation when the means to do that was clearly and easily available to him.

My guess is that ExUber knew he was himself armed, and had prepared to shoot first long before the creep was near enough to be a major threat. Had he been unarmed he would have done far differently. That is where "stand your ground" can change a situation into a deadly event. Had ExUber reversed and the creep followed him, then "stand your ground" would have been an appropriate response. Anyone familiar with shooting a pistol at night knows that unless you have some gadget assisting your aim, you are not going to hit a man-sized target very often at even 20 yards/meters away even if you empty the magazine trying. It takes mere moments to do that distance with a car in reverse, plus the car covers half your body or more making a hit even more unlikely. Your movement will make it even harder still for them to hit you when reversing in the dark. ExUber had bravado, a gun, and laws allowing him to use it. That was his plan from the start of the event. Whether right or wrong he at least did that well.

A tragedy of errors, not a comedy. Those who think that ExUber getting away with this will cause others to forego such stupidity as the creep did are wrong. What will happen in the future is there will be the same bunch of creeps as we have now doing the same things, only they will have their gun out first when they do it. I think that will be worse. Here in SC we have a "castle law" where you can shoot any intruder who is in your home. This works because even the most stupid person in the world knows that it is wrong and a crime to break into someone's home, therefore their evil intent is clearly intended from the start. You can't deduce intent in many cases, even here, for the creep could have been bluffing about having a gun and using it in hopes that his bluff would bring compliance. It was and is a stupid bluff to try but a common one nonetheless.

I'm glad the creep will never commit any stupid actions ever again, but that could have possibly been made to happen without killing him. An outcome which cannot happen now. When Cops and persons trained to be Cops shoot first and ask questions later, we've got a bigger problem than what the law books may say about standing your ground.

Phil

Mmmmm

Maybe a valid question, but the wrong one in this case. The moment that ExUber realized the truck creep was intentionally making him stop, he should have had his hand on the gear lever and checked the mirror so he could reverse out of there in a hurry if needed. And that would be a really good choice even if not positively needed. He didn't process any thoughts until there was only one option left. He is at best a dullard, and somehow he's fit to be a cop with a gun. The appropriate question here is why ExUber made no effort to avoid a confrontation when the means to do that was clearly and easily available to him.

Do we know how long the chase had been going on, and whether or not he'd been brought to a stop and attempted to flee already several times before this final confrontation?

Do we know how long the chase had been going on, and whether or not he'd been brought to a stop and attempted to flee already several times before this final confrontation?
I thought that myself. I'm wondering if the Uber driver was the first one to threaten using a gun. That would explain why the first thing we hear from him is "I say somethin" and why the dead guy made HIS comment about guns.

That would paint a very different picture, wouldn't it?

I thought that myself. I'm wondering if the Uber driver was the first one to threaten using a gun. That would explain why the first thing we hear from him is "I say somethin" and why the dead guy made HIS comment about guns.

That would paint a very different picture, wouldn't it?

Yeah. It's a big issue with a massive amount of clips shown, we don't often see or find out anything about what went on in the 30 seconds or 45 minutes prior to the incident the media shows, and that's usually the part that shows the crucial/deciding information

I agree totally with what he did!

Fair enough.

On a completely unrelated note, who would you rather encounter on the road? Someone acting aggressively, or someone who will instantly shoot you without warning, without waiting to understand the situation?

Big deal, if he didn't do what he did and the guy did have a gun, he probably be looking at the roots of some flowers now!

I agree totally with what he did!
He broke his contract and now an unarmed person has died as a result, worse still all other Uber drivers are now at risk because the criminals will be assuming they are armed and so the criminals will shoot first without waiting to find out if the Uber drivers are actually armed.

Uber should sack him and set an example, then advertise that Uber drivers are unarmed.

Fair enough.

On a completely unrelated note, who would you rather encounter on the road? Someone acting aggressively, or someone who will instantly shoot you without warning, without waiting to understand the situation?

If I cut a car off and brought it to a standstill, then approached said car in an aggressive manner running my mouth about pistols, I think I'd probably deserve to get shot without warning too

Despite all the arguments put forth in this thread, there's been no mention of the one key fact that makes this a justified shooting in self defense. It may be one thing to angrily force a stranger to come to a stop in the road at night with one's truck and then aggressively approach another driver falsely threatening that you have a gun. It was when he raises his arm pantomiming a classic shooting pose while holding a black cell phone in his hand that got him shot. I believe that any trained firearms owner would have reacted instinctively this way in what appeared to be an imminent, life threatening situation.

shooter1.jpg

shooter2.jpg

If I cut a car off and brought it to a standstill, then approached said car in an aggressive manner running my mouth about pistols, I think I'd probably deserve to get shot without warning too
You're evading the question.
Which of the two is the greater danger? To you. To the public.

Imagine you see a car with a wheel about to fall off. There are children in the back. You try to warn the driver but he won't stop. Finally in desperation you pull in front of him and force him to stop. You walk back to explain the problem to him, and bang, you're dead.

You can't shoot someone dead because of what MIGHT be. You have to exercise judgement. If you're so scared that you're going to shoot anyone who approaches you, then maybe you shouldn't be a cab driver.

Personally, I'd much rather be on the same road as the aggressive loudmouth than the uber driver.

...It was when he raises his arm pantomiming a classic shooting pose while holding a black cell phone in his hand that got him shot....
Absolutely - there's no way under this, or a similar, scenario where I'm going to wait to see a muzzle flash before making the decision to defend myself.

Despite all the arguments put forth in this thread, there's been no mention of the one key fact that makes this a justified shooting in self defense. It may be one thing to angrily force a stranger to come to a stop in the road at night with one's truck and then aggressively approach another driver falsely threatening that you have a gun. It was when he raises his arm pantomiming a classic shooting pose while holding a black cell phone in his hand that got him shot. I believe that any trained firearms owner would have reacted instinctively this way in what appeared to be an imminent, life threatening situation.

View attachment 41212

View attachment 41213

I mentioned about the possibility of mistaking the phone for the gun...

I don't know about that, in a state where you pretty much have to assume everyone has a gun because it's legal there, a confrontational "road rage" incident like that one would lead me to believe my life was in immediate danger from his actions alone, without him yelling threats which turned out to be confirming he does have a gun. From what I hear he approached the Uber guy with his phone in his hand, but from the footage I wasn't sure if it was his phone or the gun and if I'd been the Uber driver I think the outcome would have been the same. How long should a person have to wait and process a comment before a potential shot is fired from the offending party?

You're evading the question.
Which of the two is the greater danger? To you. To the public.

Imagine you see a car with a wheel about to fall off. There are children in the back. You try to warn the driver but he won't stop. Finally in desperation you pull in front of him and force him to stop. You walk back to explain the problem to him, and bang, you're dead.

You can't shoot someone dead because of what MIGHT be. You have to exercise judgement. If you're so scared that you're going to shoot anyone who approaches you, then maybe you shouldn't be a cab driver.

Personally, I'd much rather be on the same road as the aggressive loudmouth than the uber driver.

In the wheel situation, I wouldn't be aggressively walking towards him, I'd stand off to the side and point to his wheel using very clear non-aggressive body language, with no black object in my hand. The Uber driver had an unknown and unconnected passenger in his vehicle, someone who didn't deserve to be in the situation at all, I think to some degree the Uber driver felt the need to protect his passenger

If you did this would you be issuing verbal threats and pantomiming holding a gun? If so then you should expect a negative reaction.

Despite all the arguments put forth in this thread, there's been no mention of... when he raises his arm pantomiming a classic shooting pose
I did mention that. I said he would get a not guilty verdict from me on that fact alone. It's reasonable doubt. Case dismissed.

But I still don't believe the uber driver was actually mislead by that. He intended to shoot as soon as the other guy approached, no matter what.

Back