The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Jazzist said:
sludgeguts said:
jokiin said:
http://www.mega.co.nz is a good site to use

I've registered, got the email with the link to activate account yet when I try to login it says email and/or password incorrect!
Been trying all day.
Someone commented on my YT vid because I didn't upload in 1080. My video software has suddenly become incompatible with YT. Everything I upload has thick black lines top & bottom. Numerous users have complained for the past month, YT are aware yet seem unable or unwilling to resolve the issue.
I tried to upload the file off the cam directly but I get a message "processing failed", it uploads OK, (albeit taking 45 mins!) then takes forever to process.

What about Google Drive or a free 2GB Dropbox or SpiderOak (all of these you can share files publically) account mate?

This would allow anyone to download the original clip (but not view it in a web browser).

Not sure that you need to to prove the sound is dodgy though, it's obviously bad to my ears.

Yeah, i had the same thoughts re google drive. Uploaded a clip directly & shared the file with the seller using his ebay email addy.
Also put another clip, this time I am joining a dual carriageway & accellerating slowly up to 70mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnjmqEGgVmI

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikk36 said:
sludgeguts said:
Mtz said:
All people should write from what seller bought the camera.

It is not correct to edit a video before uploading it on youtube when you evaluate some camera.
The video quality of the original video was destroyed by your video software. You should delete that youtube video because is very wrong.

enjoy,
Mtz
The video quality of the original file is fine - the sound quality is the issue & even though YT destroyed the video quality, it still gives a good impression of how poor the audio is.
Checked your video over once more. I don't seem to hear the issue that some of us here are having. Yes, the sound quality is a bit low when lots of noise is generated by the car (engine, road nose, wind noise), but it doesn't seem to max out for you like it does for some of us.

I don't know how things work in your corner of the world, but when a product is advertised with certain features - in this case, including a youtube video with PERFECT audio - then I expect the goods I buy to come up to that standard. I don't expect to be told not to worry, it's not as bad as what others are experiencing. The sound quality is not "a bit low", it is absolutely crap

Just try another car charger, use one with better quality and test how is working in the car when driving.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Just try another car charger, use one with better quality and test how is working in the car when driving.

enjoy,
Mtz

Sure, and why not buy another camera? Heck, why not go the whole way & buy another car? - after all, it is obviously faulty electrics in people's cars that are at fault!
The product was advertised by showing a youtube clip of the camera's output - Basic trade rules anywhere in the world should suggest that the footage used to advertise the camera would use 1. the camera, as supplied, 2. the power supply as supplied, 3. the mount, as supplied.

Nowhere in the advert does it say - you will be expected to pay more money for a better charger. And if the next thing to be blamed is the memory card, I would also suggest that the product be sold with the one specific brand of card that is fully compatible.
The product should work AS ADVERTISED with everything that is supplied

I didn't told you to buy another charger. Many people have car chargers with 5V output so if one of them have it, then he can just test and report if the audio is better. Even buying a car charger can be a solution for some people because are cheap. A solution can be a seller refund for the value of the charger and user use the new charger he found it. This is saving a lot of time, much more than fighting with the seller for a thing I am sure he didn't know.
You can do anything you want with your purchase.
I don't sell this camera so I don't care.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm sure anyone would agree that it should just work as advertised, the charger was only a suggestion to try and locate the problem, I don't feel it's power related, I'd put my money on either a hardware fault (possible) or a different mic being used in production, probably unknowingly, and the firmware not being configured accordingly, if that's all it is it would be addressable via a firmware update

And the second you admit "I even used a different charger to see if that made a difference", the seller could/may claim you had intentionally damaged it.
As I said before, it should work exactly as the demonstrated product using what was supplied.

It is up to the seller to contact the manufacturer & let them know what's going on. The manufacturer can try a different charger - if it works, they can post them out. If it's firmware, they can email us a link to download (if this is possible) or send a new camera with prepaid return postage for the old cam.
The buyer should not be left chasing their tails.

Agree with what you're saying, if you have an opportunity to chase it up higher up the chain though I'd do that,, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so to speak

DeLorean said:
This looks like a promising little car DVR :D

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/3/24/ ... ind-t.html

Has anyone been lucky enough to take one for a spin?

The video seems to drop a fair few frames which is a bit odd as the techmoan guy is using a class 10 card
which should stop that sort of thing.

My gs1000 car cam isn't jerky with dropping frames ihn a class 10 and neither is the 5e5 or the other one I bought today.

Would want to see more videios to see if others are experiencing dropped frames which results in jerky play back.

Matt789 said:
DeLorean said:

The video seems to drop a fair few frames which is a bit odd as the techmoan guy is using a class 10 card

My gs1000 car cam isn't jerky with dropping frames ihn a class 10 and neither is the 5e5 or the other one I bought today.

Would want to see more videios to see if others are experiencing dropped frames which results in jerky play back.

It may be that the camera itself isn't compatible with class 10 OR the capacity of the card - one of my dashcams is supposed to cope with 32GB class 10 but I ended up using 16GB class 6 due to problems with loads of dropped frames.

Matt789 said:
DeLorean said:

Download the raw samples and view them with MPCHC with a powerful enough computer. They're silky-smooth on mine.

UPDATE 4/19/2013: Updated firmware alleviated the audio issue.

Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

I'll try to do this on the drive home tonight. I have a couple of Kensington "PowerBolt" USB adapters. I doubt this will change anything, but we could at least eliminated that as a problem.

Just got my DR32 and I tested it alongside my GS1000 (AliExpress/E-Prance orange menu). Very impressed with the video quality on the DR32, the encoding is much better with less artifacts, it also has a noticeably wider field of view. Sound quality is ok too. Bright colours leave a slight trail on the image but number plates are crystal clear even at speed. It encodes at 12Mbps so needs a reasonable PC to play back smoothly.

Got mine from power-gps.

I've lurked for awhile. I usually watch the Techmoan reviews but the one on the "Driving Recorder DR32" escaped me. When I read here about that review, I went to Techmoan's YouTube stuff. Watched his review and based on his comments, ordered one. Thought I would give my initial impressions so I signed up and posted.

Purchase: Ebay (From hxelepro360: Diana's Store)
$99.99 w/ free shipping. Purchased on March 29. Order was predicted to arrive between April 10 and 18. It arrived on April 12, 14 days after ordering.

Pros:
Worked out of the box.
Great video and fine sound quality as long as you aren't listening to AM radio
English instructions.
Came with the newer (Smaller) stick-on mount.
Plenty of cord length to go from top center of windshield around and under dash to lighter socket. (Full size Ford Crown Victoria)
Built-in and sharp LCD screen.
Sticker mount is quality 3M.

Cons:
I listen mostly to talk radio on AM. The Dr32 produces a lot of static interference if I am listening to an out of town AM station
Some frame stuttering occured.
At times there seemed to be some brightness flicker.
Typical cryptic instructions but not as bad as some.

Other comments:
Instructions show the older mount.
I used a Lexar 32G microSDHC Class 10 card. Bought on sale at Best Buy for 19 bucks.
I posted two brief clips (joined together) on YouTube at: http://youtu.be/W7iLlqAVmrk
Note the picture Quality. Shot at 1080p. The sky even seems to have a bit of a three-dimensional quality. You can see the stuttering and brightness flicker. At the end, you can see how the DR32 recovers from going under an overpass.
I have not yet used it at night.
I have not yet tried any other settings.

All in all, I like the picture quality. I only want decent video in case of an accident or something extraordinary. I am pleased with the DR32 for the price and my purpose.

I also have used a GS5000 Car Camera GPS G-Sensor DVR similar to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS5000-5-0MP-FU ... 20d073a0c9

The GS5000 has good picture quality and the typical GPS software issue showing one's postion about 90 miles off because it doesn't link to the proper satellite or something. Once I work up the nerve to try the "Registration Viewer" I found in this forum, I should be in decent shape. I have it mounted at the rear window. I'll let you know if the software shows me going backwards because of the rear mounting :).

Regarding frame stuttering try another card, even a Class 6 one.
Regarding the sky color, this is not important for a dash camera.
The white balance issue I think will be solved by some firmware update.

This is a company which usually release firmwares updates, even it takes longer than we want.

enjoy,
Mtz

UPDATE 4/19/2013: Updated firmware alleviated the audio issue.

NoAIm said:
Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

I'll try to do this on the drive home tonight. I have a couple of Kensington "PowerBolt" USB adapters. I doubt this will change anything, but we could at least eliminated that as a problem.

Tried this in two different power ports with the USB adapters. No effect on the sound amplification (same as supplied adapter).

The first experiment was unsuccessful. :cry: Waiting for another one, maybe somebody will be lucky.

enjoy,
Mtz

andrew73 said:
Just got my DR32 .... Sound quality is ok too.

Got mine from power-gps.

:o :cry:

Seller asked me to try running the cam off an uninterrupted power supply.

Made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Whilst stationary, the sound quality is excellent - as soon as I start moving off, the problems begin.
Either the circuitry is slightly loose & so allowing the mic to rub on the inside of the case or the circuitry is extremely susceptible to electronic interference (yet the sound is perfect when I'm sat in traffic - diesel engine, idles at 900rpm and the 'noise' doesn't seem to get worse with higher rpm, just movement/vibration. :?:

Can anyone recommend a kit that I could use to hardwire this? it looks like it is microusb...

:)

Try to find a USB cable which have only 2 wires, something like this.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back