The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Just a guess but I still feel it's a component mismatch, different impedence mic to what may have been used previously, if it is then it should be addressable via a firmware update, anyone that has this issue should be chasing up the supplier for a fix, if they don't hear from people they could easily not even know about it

Nah, people with the problem are all in different countries

5-6-ACE said:
Is this issue only for people in the states? Some kind of electrical difference?
There is no difference in electrical difference for the cars. They're all +12 V (spec allows for up to +14.4 V) all over the world, with the exception of trucks and other big vehicles being 24 V, although the cig charger sockets etc are still downconverted to 12 V range.

Having a drawn out 'conversation' with the ebay seller (and I know he's reading this thread).
He wanted me to try again using an external power supply (UPS). The only thing I have is a 12v jump start/compressor/ torch/ power socket.
so I plugged the camera in & took a video - same results.
The seller then told me it had to be a 5v supply. I told him, I only had 12v.
He's now said that in the listing, it says 5v.
I have told him that ALL cars run 12v, it is advertised as a CAR camera, it comes with a power cord designed to plug into a car's 12v power supply. So either the cord drops the power from 12 to 5 OR the cam is capable of running on 12v.

Why should I be the one going out buying all these extras, he told me to try a different power cord and now expects me to find a 5v power supply, when he's obviously read this thread & so must realise it IS a problem?

Interestingly, I've also had a comment on my youtube vid with a follow up email. The email claims to be from the manufacturer. After his first email, I told him exactly what i thought of the audio quality...

Sorry to hear that!
We are the producer and well notice this issue.
We suppose it is the mic issue, now working on that.
We strive to make high resolution and the best Video quality, did not notice this issue before.
We should keep you updated for what we are doing from here.
Still hope you can enjoy it and have fun!
Rock Liu
Think, Act, Improve

Yes Rock, I really enjoy listening to the footage.

And powerdigital 898, I'm right at the end of my tether.

sludgeguts said:
Having a drawn out 'conversation' with the ebay seller (and I know he's reading this thread).
He wanted me to try again using an external power supply (UPS). The only thing I have is a 12v jump start/compressor/ torch/ power socket.
so I plugged the camera in & took a video - same results.
The seller then told me it had to be a 5v supply. I told him, I only had 12v.
He's now said that in the listing, it says 5v.
I have told him that ALL cars run 12v, it is advertised as a CAR camera, it comes with a power cord designed to plug into a car's 12v power supply. So either the cord drops the power from 12 to 5 OR the cam is capable of running on 12v.

Why should I be the one going out buying all these extras, he told me to try a different power cord and now expects me to find a 5v power supply, when he's obviously read this thread & so must realise it IS a problem?

Interestingly, I've also had a comment on my youtube vid with a follow up email. The email claims to be from the manufacturer. After his first email, I told him exactly what i thought of the audio quality...

Sorry to hear that!
We are the producer and well notice this issue.
We suppose it is the mic issue, now working on that.
We strive to make high resolution and the best Video quality, did not notice this issue before.
We should keep you updated for what we are doing from here.
Still hope you can enjoy it and have fun!
Rock Liu
Think, Act, Improve

Yes Rock, I really enjoy listening to the footage.

And powerdigital 898, I'm right at the end of my tether.

I just went to the Ebay auction and notice also that it states 5DV, here in the states when we refer to car voltage we would say 12DC, I would imagine 5DV means 5 volts direct voltage which here DC means direct current. I have a home power adapter that reduces the power to 5 volt DC. I have plugged the camera in to it with the fear that I would damage it, but now seeing the auction says it runs on 5 volts I guess no damage would be done. On the other hand what kind of damage can be done plugging into 12 volts. In the instruction manual it does not have any reference to the amount of voltage, big mistake on the developers of this camera. I know that the house voltage in other countries is different from the USA but isn't vehicle voltage generally the same? I will test the camera with the adapter, I don't know at this time how I give a vehicle type test from in my house though, I gguess I can yell into the mic and see what happens. I'll post here with what I find.

Camera runs off 5v, includes 12v to 5v adapter in the box. Sludgeguts used the adapter in his test and did no wrong.

Well I just tested the camera using a 5 volt dc house adapter, I was standing next to the file cabinet while doing this, I sang a goofy little tune (ha ha) and opened and closed the file drawers very hard creating a lot of load sounds. When I played the video back on the computer I was surprised at what I found :eek: . The audio was perfect with no distortion at all, although this isn't a true test as to in the vehicle but I think maybe it's at start. I don't have the time right now to rig up a power supply for my truck so this will have to wait until this evening, but I do have some confidence. Also so maybe this why some people are having trouble with the imagine that the camera produces, it may be as simple as having to high of voltage. I will post here as soon as I have tested it with the correct voltage in the truck. Good Luck to all.

Jazzist said:
Camera runs off 5v, includes 12v to 5v adapter in the box. Sludgeguts used the adapter in his test and did no wrong.

I guess you would have to test the power coming out of the adapter or take it apart to see if there are any components that reduce the power. The car adapter I have is simply to small to have any voltage reducing in it.

gobbertinker said:
Jazzist said:
The car adapter I have is simply to small to have any voltage reducing in it.

I have an adapter that is smaller than the cig lighter and it has 2 USB outlets, high enough output to charge an iPad, don't judge what it might do by the size, the circuit is deceptively small

I took the car adapter apart and see that there is small circuitry in it. Maybe the issue is that the adapter is faulty. I really have to get to work now. If some body does some experimenting with the power supply today please post your findings.

Thanks
Chuck

jokiin said:
gobbertinker said:
Jazzist said:
The car adapter I have is simply to small to have any voltage reducing in it.

I have an adapter that is smaller than the cig lighter and it has 2 USB outlets, high enough output to charge an iPad, don't judge what it might do by the size, the circuit is deceptively small

Read my previous post were I tested the camera with a 5 volt house power supply, in that test the audio is fine, just saying maybe the problem is the power supply that came with the camera. Maybe it is not reducing the voltage to 5 volts.

People have already tried numerous adaptors - doesn't work!
It does work better indoors as you haven't got the noise of the car.
The fault is 100% the camera, way to much gain.

gobbertinker said:
Read my previous post were I tested with a 5 volt house power supply, in that test the audio is fine, just saying maybe the problem is the power supply that came with the camera is the problem. May it is not reducing the voltage to 5 volts.

there is a chance then going by your test that the cig adapter supplied is not clean, if the home supply didn't show distortion at the same 5 volts

Nope. The problem is with the camera and crap quality control.

Jazzist said:

When I tested it in the house I made a lot more noise than that of what is produced in my truck, I guess at this point no matter what power adapters people have tried, they must be CERTAIN that the power is 5 volts and no more or no less. I guess I have high hopes that this will work.

It won't work. It's possibly super high gain of the low frequency noise in the vehicle causing the issue so you won't be able to reproduce the fault in the house . I tried with the camera running off a 5v battery and it didn't help at all. Unfortunately the theory has already been evaluated by myself and others.

Jazzist said:
The fault is 100% the camera, way to much gain.

I understand how a person would think that the gain in audio is the fault of the camera, but it could also be getting the gain because of more than double the voltage being applied to it, I'm an electrician in the states and understand how things work when to much voltage is applied to them. I guess I have high hopes that I will be able to fix this.

Sorry but the fault is the camera. I'm a PhD electronic engineer - fault is the camera.

Hi

THE DR32 IS 5 VOLT SUPPLY ONLY (AT THE CAMERA) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the Technomoan review video. Technomoan uses it indoors, with a 230V to 5v usb power supply:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -dfvPX0dOs

around 3 minutes and onwards.

If you are connecting the camera to more than 5v it WILL blow up if not instantly then very shortly after.

regards

P

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys this is what's happening and yes the camera is getting 5v (not the problem).
NoAIm said:
I did some more testing.

1. One of the questions was addressing that the microphone may be moving inside the chassis. With the windshield vibrating, it could be adding to the sound in a bad way. So, while it was running and there was road noise, I removed the unit and held it by the mount for a short time. In short, there was no difference.

2. I was curious to see what the audio profile was. So I simultaneously recorded a couple of clips with both my mobile phone camera and the DVR. The phone was placed right next to the DVR to get any additional audio reflections from the hard surface of the windshield. I took these video samples and stripped the audio out (and converted to .wav 48kHz stereo). I then viewed the waveform side by side in Audactiy. I did try to keep them the same scale, but there is some difference.

My results:
The first is with the car running, stopped, and very little ambient noise. You'll see 4 big sound pulses. This is my voice saying "Mark Mark Mark Mark" to try and line up the waveforms for analysis. On the right is my phone, on the left is the DVR.
LowVolumeComparison_zps3b568ee7.png

Some observations:
1) The noise floor of the DVR is significantly higher.
2) The peaks are clipped earlier.
3) A lot of the extra detail is lost, although perfect audio fidelity is not required for this type of device. In other words, the lower dynamic range is fine.
4) So overall, the shape is there, but it quickly gets distorted.
5) Just listening to the audio though, I find nothing wrong with either. Both produce usable sound.

This second clip was performed the same way, but instead at 60mph (110kph) on the highway. My car isn't exactly the quietest, but it's far from loud. Windows were shut, no radio was on.
HighVolumeComparison_zps6b2a4229.png

1) The mobile phone on the right, you can see that the ambient noise has significantly increased, which reflects real world sound.
2) You can clearly see the four pulses again on the right, although they are starting to get distorted. Again, the phone audio is usable.
3) The audio from the DVR, to be frank, is totally misleading. I couldn't find my 4 pulses at all. The entire waveform is saturated by ambient noise and there's no detail in the sound left. Additionally, there's significant clipping everywhere.

As suspected, it appears there is just too much audio gain in the unit. It needs to be lowered significantly.

Back