the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Future FPV pilot.

I've been putting in some time in the simulators (Freerider and Liftoff) and I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. And as luck would have it, the local fpv group is putting on a race specifically for rookies this weekend. The guy who made the flyers has a good sense of humor:

67715496_501475107329210_2946794447813214208_o.png

beginnerseries1.PNG

Thinking of bringing this... It clears the props!
IMG_20190711_205833~01.jpg

Have a new toy, the X9 Heron which is probably the most advanced model from JJRC, mostly known for cheaper toy-grade products. This new model is totally different and resembles the DJI Spark design and comes packed with a lot of features such as: GPS positioning, GPS smart flight modes, RTH, 2-axis brushless gimbal, brushless motors, foldable propellers, optical-flow positioning for no GPS usage, real time FPV and has a ~1080p camera.

Had to take apart my quad again... Apparently there was a cold solder joint where the receiver connects to the flight controller, so it wasn't working consistently. And because I'm tired of taking out 43,000 screws to get to the innards, I decided to eliminate the top plate and 30mm standoffs. Looks better, but I had to get creative with the camera mount. Sadly, without that top plate, I can no longer use the Grave Digger body. :cry:

IMG_20190726_215701~01.jpg
IMG_20190726_215815~01.jpg
There's a long twist tie going thru the board camera's lower holes and the frame. Then a ton of hot glue to set the camera angle and hopefully help it from vibrating. I used plastic standoffs so that when (not if) I crash, the standoffs will break instead of the frame, and hopefully the camera will just lay back and not break.

IMG_20190727_004545~01.jpg
I also updated my "drone registration" :cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have a new toy, the X9 Heron which is probably the most advanced model from JJRC, mostly known for cheaper toy-grade products. This new model is totally different and resembles the DJI Spark design and comes packed with a lot of features such as: GPS positioning, GPS smart flight modes, RTH, 2-axis brushless gimbal, brushless motors, foldable propellers, optical-flow positioning for no GPS usage, real time FPV and has a ~1080p camera.

I still have an old jjrc H8mini. Apparently someone made a custom firmware for it that lets you switch between auto level and full acro mode. I need to give that a try as that sounds like a lot of fun for indoor flying, esp once I get a new aio cam/vtx on there.

I did ok at the rookie race today. Crashed plenty but that was expected. My best lap was like 29 seconds. To put that in perspective, the top pilots there (who do very well in national competitions) were running times between 8-9 seconds per lap. The most laps I got back to back without crashing was only 2. But they had the experienced folks "ride" along by watching with their googles and giving advice/corrections, which helped a bunch. Really nice folks, and I had fun. Next one is in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get more practice before then so that maybe I can do more than 1-2 laps without crashing.

image0.jpg

my hot glue camera mount loosened up after my 4th or 5th crash, but one zip tie around the bottom tightened it back up. here's some dvr footage of how "not good" i am at this... obviously it's not the same as in the simulator. sim doesn't have wind, and sim isn't perfect at replicating the power curve of the quad. it's a bit like learning to drive a car with fuel injection and a hydraulic clutch, and then getting in a different car with similar power but carbureted and a cable clutch. the concepts are the same, but it feels quite different.

had fun though, learned a ton from the experienced guys, and one of them even gave me some spare parts he had from his last upgrade, that will be a great start towards a newer build for me. i'll still have to buy motors, a frame, and a few other small parts, but that's still less than a complete build - the flight controller and 4-in-1 ESC he gave me is at least $60-80 worth of parts when purchased new. sure i have to clean up the old solder blobs from where he removed his equipment, but that's not so bad.

Not as easy as some people make it look.

Motion sickness ! ( FPV )

FMS 800 V tail ...
Wanted one for quite some time .
It does fly rather well , @ 156 grams . Why not !
Out of production , so if you wanted one - now would be the time .

Took a bit of time and reviewed some of the footage shoot with the JJRC X9 Heron and made a compilation video with some of the better looking scenes. Hope you enjoy it.

Motion sickness ! ( FPV )
You think that's bad? Just think how this will look!

FPV ALL THE THINGS!
IMG_20190810_230232~01.jpg

IMG_20190810_230255~01.jpg

IMG_20190810_230324~01.jpg

I cut apart the lid off an empty vitamin jar and hot glued a little all in one cam/vtx (eachine MC01) to it, and glued that to the frame so that it could see through the bumper opening. The bottom 20% of the picture is blocked but that shouldn't be a problem. I didn't have to modify the frame or the body at all, and that cloverleaf antenna fits perfectly under the body, with no modification there either. I simply unplugged my LEDs from the ESC/RX and plugged in the camera, and I'm in business. Bringing it to rookie event #2 tomorrow. If nothing else, it'll be good for a laugh, because the video signal will actually work together with the timing system. :D

Yeah !
My WLtoys 4x4 buggy has FPV ...
And sometimes it's just plain old nauseating to drive it in a small space ( FPV )
Larger areas are better ( more straight line stuff )

Took it out to the rookie quad racing event today. Video was perfect even at just 25mw, but the limiting factor turned out to be the remote controller itself - I only had maybe 100 feet of range. Maybe my TX needs new batteries, since I seen to remember having longer range than that before...

As for my quad, I made the classic mistake of flashing new firmware and not doing a test flight afterwards... Quad flew like a drunk dolphin... Couldn't turn without losing tons of altitude (which is a problem when you're flying less than 10 feet off the ground), and even just trying to fly in a straight line resulted in porpoising and wobbling. I finished one lap at an altitude of about 20ft (couldn't make it thru the gates at all) but most times I was crashed out in less than 500 feet. Not fun.

As if that wasn't enough, it was 103f (39c) in the shade. I drank over a half gallon (2L) of water over the course of 4 hours and towards the end of that, I started seeing signs of heat exhaustion - bend down to pick something up and get dizzy when standing back up, getting angry for no reason... I ended up leaving a little early just to go somewhere with air conditioning (still haven't found the AC leak in my car yet). Maybe I'll go ahead and install the new flight stack another pilot gave me at the last race, since I can do that inside, in the AC. And I won't install the latest version of betaflight on it.

IMG_20190811_124600~01.jpg

FPV driving are easy, when your top speed are 10 km/h.
But i dont think i will ever be as brave as that Aussie guy i was following on youtube driving many miles away.

Yeah , I might have seen that ..
Be bad if it stops for some reason out - way out back somewhere .

450x Micro Wing gets some power ...

A completely different animal with a 8520 up it's beehive .....

Back