the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

My sisters E bike must be awesome cuz it is at least 1/3 more expensive than your bike ( 1300 euro )

My sisters E bike must be awesome cuz it is at least 1/3 more expensive than your bike ( 1300 euro )
Mine was 1300 usd... came from an EU warehouse of a Chinese seller :p
Good thig is that it's actually not 500W but 1000W as it has a 20A controller and you can unlimit "current flow" from the setting from 13A to 20A

Attachments

• 124845884_457605895632767_2754758117943513403_n.jpg
    124845884_457605895632767_2754758117943513403_n.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 5
How low can you go,,,,,,, and how high can you jump.

I've gotten into 3d printing as well, and decided to print some parts to build a slightly more modern quad using old parts. I'm calling it my "junkyard dog". Should be a decent beater just to get more practice flying.
98623.jpg

Meanwhile I'm getting better at printing nice quality things:
98624.jpg

Next project is a model of the SpaceX falcon 9 rocket. Should be almost a meter tall when it's done. Printed the first batch of parts last night:
PXL_20210108_151440915.jpg

I've gotten into 3d printing as well, and decided to print some parts to build a slightly more modern quad using old parts. I'm calling it my "junkyard dog". Should be a decent beater just to get more practice flying.
View attachment 54950

Meanwhile I'm getting better at printing nice quality things:
View attachment 54951

Next project is a model of the SpaceX falcon 9 rocket. Should be almost a meter tall when it's done. Printed the first batch of parts last night:
View attachment 54952
Damn, just as I got all those silly ideas out of my head you post this and now I'm looking at kits (and maybe finished printers) again. You, sir, are an enabler. ;)

Damn, just as I got all those silly ideas out of my head you post this and now I'm looking at kits (and maybe finished printers) again. You, sir, are an enabler. ;)
If you do it I can highly recommend the creality ender 3 v2. Affordable, reliable, and TONS of community support. It came out after I had already bought my original ender 3.

It's not just for toys and trinkets. I've made plenty of practical prints. The very first thing I printed was a new plug for my son's piggy bank. Also printed a filter adapter for the pool, a little track to hang k-cups under the cabinet above the keurig machine, a new pull handle for the stow-n-go seats in my wife's van, a battery organizer, safety caps for the lipo batteries for all my rc stuff (ok that's borderline "toy" though it truly can prevent a fire), and many other things.

That said there's a big learning curve. You WILL get frustrated. You WILL have failed prints and wasted filament, even after you've been printing a while and think you've got it figured out. And it can be a money pit (like any good hobby). But find a good community (YouTube channels like teaching tech, Maker's muse, and CHEP to name a few) and be willing to experiment and try stuff that seems weird. For me it was the suggestion to spray aqua net super extra hold hairspray on the print surface to not only promote bed adhesion but also make it easier to remove prints when they're done. And it works amazing. Best $2 I've put into the printer.

And speaking of those channels, before you even buy a printer, maybe watch a few of their videos about things like bed leveling, fixing problems, etc to get a feel for what you're in for and maybe learn some of the terminology.

Last edited:
@Gibson99 I've always wanted to go down this road myself ;) What would be a rough entry-level price for all the needed stuff? All I've got for computers is a cheap 4 year old HP laptop- dunno if it could handle design files.

Phil

I used to use an entry level Intel atom powered laptop for 3D printing, your laptop would have to be more powerful than what I was using, for designing the print files a higher spec machine would be beneficial but the actual printing was never an issue in my experience using a low powered laptop

I've just add not one but actually 2 new videos on my YouTube today and you can find them in this playlist: http://bit.ly/DIY_eBikePlaylist
It's the start of a new DIY eBike build project which will be addressed on stages such as mechanics, electrics and ending up with the final "test drive" and review. Let me know what you think about them and if you have other questions that should be addressed in the following episodes.

pic-12.jpg

@Gibson99 I've always wanted to go down this road myself ;) What would be a rough entry-level price for all the needed stuff? All I've got for computers is a cheap 4 year old HP laptop- dunno if it could handle design files.

Phil
You can get a decent printer (like the ender 3 v2 I recommended), some filament, and other stuff for around $300. Bump it to 400 and you can add fancier things like a raspberry pi for octoprint, which gives you cool things like time lapse videos (once you hook up a camera), and the ability to send prints to they printer over WiFi instead of constantly moving the SD card between pc and printer. Don't forget you can print many of your own upgrades. I upgraded to direct drive using printed parts and a little bit of wire to get faster and better quality when printing flexible material like TPU for my quadcopter stuff. If all you print is rigid plastics like petg and pla, direct drive isn't really necessary.

Cura is the free app you use to "slice" a 3d model into layers for printing, along with other settings like speeds, temps, etc. www.thingiverse.com has tons of free models to download - that's where I've gotten basically everything I've printed.

You don't need a monster pc just for printing, like @jokiin said. I sometimes use an old Dell latitude 6230 (circa 2011 I think) with i5 and 4gb ram, and it's fine other than the small screen. I prefer to use my desktop, but it's old too - Dell optiplex 9010 (also 2011) - it has an i7 and 32gb ram, but the main thing is the 28" 4k monitor.

I haven't tried designing my own parts yet but I don't think it takes a monster for that either. Maybe look up the specs for Fusion 360, which is free for home use. Tinkercad is another app I've heard of people using to design models.

Here's some examples of the time lapse video (not mine)

Last edited:
Finished the falcon 9 tonight. It has movable landing legs and grid fins. Also finished another ship in my Star Fleet collection. Come on, show your nerd cred and name them all!:cool:

98832.jpg

-em46gp.jpg

-ijplrr.jpg

34dj5b.jpg

I probably won't keep it on my desk, but instead fold up the legs and hang it horizontally from the ceiling.

Because I'm a dork and because the rocket is made in segments designed to easily snap together and apart...
PXL_20210125_051850328.jpg

If you want high quality time lapse videos like the ones I linked earlier, you'll need something nicer than the standard def raspberry pi camera:

Last edited:
Very nice, I think I will have to eventually get a 3d printer, I keep finding I need custom housings for projects or need odd mounts etc for stuff.

In the past I've usually bodged things together, it's always impossible to get neat holes and it usually ends up being a mess of glue and wonky parts.

Now that I got the hang of actually printing, I'm starting to dip my toes into the waters of actually designing parts. Fusion 360 is free but it's got a learning curve of course. In the end it should be worth it though.

In the pandemic-marked year of 2020 I was lucky to be able to travel before more severe restrictions were enforced, so I found myself in a long waited vacation to Chios Island, a very unique, interesting and beautiful, but also, less known islands of Greece. The landscape is outstanding while the snorkeling sessions were spectacular with the aid of the clear water you get in the Aegean sea. I only had with me the GoPro and the small ANAFI. All the GoPro footage was taken in 4K@60fps / high bit rate / Linear while the drone shots were done in 4K@30fps / high bitrate. Even if the footage was mixed I think the result came out rather good. The small ANAFI also held on very good as it encountered a lot of windmills and this for a reason! The weather on the island is often very windy, with strong gusts, so it was really an adventure to fly and especially, to land! I have added some voice commentary about the places. Please let me know your opinion and maybe share your experience on the island, if any?

Much better than what i see out my windows, which are pretty bleak, very white and cold ( right now -8 deg C )
I do not like when i have to spend money to keep warm, but i have both candles and my living room radiator going right now.

Well, it's also "winter" now in my area, although we no longer have the winters that we did 10-15 years ago, barely seen 2-3cm of snow that melted right away. Mostly cloudy, dark and rainy...Wishing this summer with all the pandemic to be able to travel again... we'll see.

Places that rely much on tourism will probably allow travelers if they have a "corona passport".

Back