Thinkware 750 Development

unless you did not upgraded F750 with newer firmware (it must be 1.00.15 or older) i think you should be fine.

the problem is likely the celink-b. If you used the thinkware hardwire kit (must) but connect it to a secondary battery incorrectly then it will never know the ignition has been turned off. I've seen a lot if people with this battery expanded and all were because the thinkware hardwire kit wasn't used or was installed wrong or it wasn't used at all!.

bet you its the install tho! :)

Visited the guys who installed my cam today and they have not used the Thinkware hardwire kit at all!!! They are insisting that it cannot be used with celink-b. If they have to use the hardwire kit then it has to be connected to car battery and NOT the celink-b. Which makes celink-b redundant and it'll have to be pulled out.

As things stand they claim the camera would stay in continuous recording mode till celink-b goes dead and then it'll go into parking mode while drawing power directly from car battery.

They have given me an appointment for next weekend to pull out the celink-b and install the hardwire kit.

Though I do not understand car electronics as well as the professionals but I fear I have been given wrong information. Or is what they are telling me correct and I need to pull out the celink-b?

Parking mode is important to me as that's why I bought the Thinkware else I had almost gone with Street Guardian (from same guys as they are authorised dealers for that as well).

Visited the guys who installed my cam today and they have not used the Thinkware hardwire kit at all!!! They are insisting that it cannot be used with celink-b. If they have to use the hardwire kit then it has to be connected to car battery and NOT the celink-b. Which makes celink-b redundant and it'll have to be pulled out.

As things stand they claim the camera would stay in continuous recording mode till celink-b goes dead and then it'll go into parking mode while drawing power directly from car battery.

They have given me an appointment for next weekend to pull out the celink-b and install the hardwire kit.

Though I do not understand car electronics as well as the professionals but I fear I have been given wrong information. Or is what they are telling me correct and I need to pull out the celink-b?

Parking mode is important to me as that's why I bought the Thinkware else I had almost gone with Street Guardian (from same guys as they are authorised dealers for that as well).

you need the hardwire kit otherwise the camera wont know whats going on, the hardwire kit has two live feeds when the car is turned on, both the live and ACC live will be delivering 12v, when the car turns off the camera detects the 12v on the ACC line as being cut off, this is what triggers the parking mode, it will then draw 12v from the 12v live feed until it detects a drop in voltage at which point the camera will turn off.

ive never used one of hose celink-b devices but if you wire celink- in line with the always on feed then I would have thought that the camera will work fine.

Ive just read the rather ambiguous install guide for it and it should be possible to make this work but you MUST use the hardwire kit still.

The Celink has several cables on the left side of the unit, the red and black wires should be connected to and ACC feed (ignition on) this will allow the celink to charge only whilst the car is turned on.

The second cable down is the one with the cigarette socket, this is going to be the problem, you will need to have the hardwire kit plugged in to this somehow, you must not use the power adaptor coming with the camera as you still need to use the hardwire kit (you cant use both) this will mean one of two things,

firstly you could connect a cigarette plug to the always on feed and earth cable on the hardwire kit Camera>Hardwire kit>always on feed/earth>cigarette plug>Celink cigarette socket
Secondly you could cut the clink cigarette socket off and directly connect the wires Camera>Hardire kit>always on feed/earth>Clink cigarette socket WIRES
In both cases you must still connect the ACC (ignition on) cable on the hardwire kit to an ACC circuit on the car

The third cable on the celink is the always on feed, this one must be connected to the always on feed on the car

what will happen is this, when the car is turned on, the car is charging the celink battery and the camera will work in continuous mode. (it will see the always on feed via the celink through the hardwire kit and it will see the ACC feed directly via its hardwire kit

when you turn the engine off, the ACC feed will be killed on the hardwire kit turning the camera in to parking mode, at this point the celink should supply the electricity until its dead at which point it will then take the supply from the car battery, so long as the voltage doesn't drop the camera will continue to record, if for any reason the voltage does drop then it will shut down itself.

that last bit is the bit I'm a little unsure about, it is a little vague in the instructions exactly how it the celink works when its battery runs out, it talks about shutting down if the voltage drops but then it also talks about switching to the main battery.

I'm 90% sure this can be done, it is certainly possible to do something like this and have considered doing so myself, but you must not use the cigarette power adaptor and you must use the hardwire kit, the ACC feed on that kit must be connected to an ACC circuit.

I know that's a little long winded but I hope that makes some sense, if it helps draw it out on paper

of course the other possibility is that the camera is powered by ACC, when that cuts of it then switches to the always of live feed. however I don't believe that will make any difference with the setup I just gave you.

here is a wee hard drawn diagram, apologies to those who know how to draw circuit diagrams. Its about as simple as I can make it :)

as I said, the only part I don't know is how the Celink handles the transition from using its own battery to using the car one. if the voltage drops then the camera will turn off

Attachments

• WP_20170107_11_41_19_Rich_LI (2).jpg
    WP_20170107_11_41_19_Rich_LI (2).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 30
Good day to all upgraders :)
guys this is what my software / firmware look like , what extra features you guys are getting with F770 firmware ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170106-164426.png
    Screenshot_20170106-164426.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 36
good day to you as well sir, we get super night vision, timelapse and speed on the video although I believe they gave that titbit to the recent F750 firmware

good day to you as well sir, we get super night vision, timelapse and speed on the video although I believe they gave that titbit to the recent F750 firmware

Thanks a lot sir I will follow your main page process of up grading :)
so nice of you
thanks

Dear D just wondering , do we need to select manually super night vision every time in night time recording?

What time lapse means?
Thanks

you might have a bit of a problem there mate, after .15 update thinkware cottoned on to what we were doing and prevented the upgrade, try it and see but you might find that when you insert the card with the firmware on it and restart the camera it doesn't install the firmware, in their infinite wisdom they have also prevent a downgrade (because you could bypass their lock out by installing the .15 firmware again)

nope, one enabled super night vision basically just makes parking mode quite a bit brighter and allows you to make out details better. the timelapse is a new type of parking mode, rather than recording motion events all night, it records all night at a much lower fps, basically if you live in an area where you have a lot of motion at night, timelapes will help prevent the battery from dying so quick

So nice Dee82
Sure will consider all the things you mentioned
You are the man my

However, I seem to be having a problem in that the camera keeps rebooting. Also, the camera never stops recording :(, i.e. it keeps recording in continuous mode even when car is switched off.

I'm trying to work this out. What was the time interval between reboots? Was it rebooting whilst the car was on as well as off?
Also which C-B do you have? 1st or 2nd gen?

Ive just read the rather ambiguous install guide for it and it should be possible to make this work but you MUST use the hardwire kit still.

The Celink has several cables on the left side of the unit, the red and black wires should be connected to and ACC feed (ignition on) this will allow the celink to charge only whilst the car is turned on.

The second cable down is the one with the cigarette socket, this is going to be the problem, you will need to have the hardwire kit plugged in to this somehow, you must not use the power adaptor coming with the camera as you still need to use the hardwire kit (you cant use both) this will mean one of two things,

firstly you could connect a cigarette plug to the always on feed and earth cable on the hardwire kit Camera>Hardwire kit>always on feed/earth>cigarette plug>Celink cigarette socket
Secondly you could cut the clink cigarette socket off and directly connect the wires Camera>Hardire kit>always on feed/earth>Clink cigarette socket WIRES
In both cases you must still connect the ACC (ignition on) cable on the hardwire kit to an ACC circuit on the car

The third cable on the celink is the always on feed, this one must be connected to the always on feed on the car

what will happen is this, when the car is turned on, the car is charging the celink battery and the camera will work in continuous mode. (it will see the always on feed via the celink through the hardwire kit and it will see the ACC feed directly via its hardwire kit

when you turn the engine off, the ACC feed will be killed on the hardwire kit turning the camera in to parking mode, at this point the celink should supply the electricity until its dead at which point it will then take the supply from the car battery, so long as the voltage doesn't drop the camera will continue to record, if for any reason the voltage does drop then it will shut down itself.

that last bit is the bit I'm a little unsure about, it is a little vague in the instructions exactly how it the celink works when its battery runs out, it talks about shutting down if the voltage drops but then it also talks about switching to the main battery.
Dee, I have done some research myself. Those vague instructions are for the 1st gen C-B. The 2nd gen does not have the third cable.

As you point out, the big question is how either gen C-B handles power transition. If I were to use one it would be to extend parking mode, but without knowing about this transition it is impossible to know if it would work.
Without doubt the 2nd gen is intended for parking mode to never use the car battery, possibly mainly as a solution to the problems this can cause on some BMWs. The 2nd gen's only input is supposed to be connected to ACC. If so it can allow its 3 wire output to work as the TW expects. If it was connected to permanent instead then it would be necessary to connect the TW direct to ACC (as in your diagram but there is no ACC to the C-B). However I feel sure that this would be pointless since the car battery would be permanently charging the C-B and so in effect the dashcam is just draining the car battery as if the C-B was not connected.

I agree that if Shadows has a 2nd gen then it can be made to work if wired correctly, but only as a replacement to using the car battery in parking mode and not as an extension to it.

Based on the F750 3.5W it looks like the C-B can last around 20 hours, or 40 hours with the extension battery. For me this is still not enough to do what I'd want - coverage of a week at an airport car park. Maybe the 1st gen can act as an extender (but can they still be purchased?), however its still not enough.

I'm trying to work this out. What was the time interval between reboots? Was it rebooting whilst the car was on as well as off?

I believe the reboots were caused by the Samsung Evo 64 Gb SD card. Camera does not reboot when I use the ThinkWare SD card that came with Camera. Crystal Disk Mark results of the offending card are in the F750 card error thread.

Also which C-B do you have? 1st or 2nd get?

I have the Gen 2 B6 (not sure what B6 stands for). Here is the link to similar item https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181896289321.

However I feel sure that this would be pointless since the car battery would be permanently charging the C-B and so in effect the dashcam is just draining the car battery as if the C-B was not connected.

Installers claim this is essentially what will happen if they were to use hardwire kit. However, they say by not using the hardwire kit camera is in continuous recording mode till C-B drains and then it'll switch to parking mode while using car battery.

For me this is still not enough to do what I'd want - coverage of a week at an airport car park. Maybe the 1st gen can act as an extender (but can they still be purchased?), however its still not enough.

This is my problem as well. The car is parked at train station on weekdays for 9-10 hours and I would like to use the parking mode if I can.

the camera will not enter parking mode without the hardwire kit, as dippy said, the newer devices will effectively not use the car battery, but the hardwirekit must be used.

I believe the reboots were caused by the Samsung Evo 64 Gb SD card. Camera does not reboot when I use the ThinkWare SD card that came with Camera. Crystal Disk Mark results of the offending card are in the F750 card error thread.
OK, so if the C-B action is not causing the reboots that makes the situation simpler.

I have the Gen 2 B6 (not sure what B6 stands for). Here is the link to similar item https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181896289321.
Installers claim this is essentially what will happen if they were to use hardwire kit. However, they say by not using the hardwire kit camera is in continuous recording mode till C-B drains and then it'll switch to parking mode while using car battery.
I'm fairly sure they are wrong. The dashcam draws power from its permanent connection and uses the ACC connection to determine which mode it is in. So to do that the permanent connection would have to be to the C-B output, and the C-B would need its input as permanent 12V. But even if the C-B contains a circuit which switches its output to its input when its battery is discharged, there would also need to be the removal of 12V from the ACC connection of the dashcam for it to switch to parking mode. Now the C-B does have an output which serves as ACC for the dashcam, however it would need to be removed from 12V (or switched to ground) when the battery is discharged. However this does not match the description for how the C-B is used in BMWs to avoid the dashcam using the battery at all.

This is my problem as well. The car is parked at train station on weekdays for 9-10 hours and I would like to use the parking mode if I can.
I get that out of my F750 as long as my car's battery is not on low charge (i.e. as long has I have not been only doing short journeys).

DO NOT INSTALL FIRMWARE V0.22
ONLY USE 0.15

F750 Development thread
We can convert our f750 to an f770 without issue and all functions work correctly, so long as you haven't upgraded to a firmware version beyond 0.15

I am in the process of attempting to create a modified firmware, I have successfully dumped the ROM but recompiling it is an issue

Need to find the uboot recovery files for the F750 camera.

NOTES:
28/11/16
Ambarella A7LA85 hardware tech sheets (JTAG included)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kwtr41n57n050k7/A7L-SHA-002-2.0_AMBARELLA_A7LA7LM_SYSTEM_HW.pdf

27/11/16
Please do not install any firmware versions after 0.15, installing .22 or newer will prevent you from installing F770 firmware files. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WAY TO REVERT TO 0.15

01/11/16
Do not use the thinkware F750 firmware version .22, there have been some people report issues and have not been able to change or update the firmware. Please only use .15 F750 version, then update to the .02 F770 version.

25/08/16
the PC viewer seems to have a bug where you cant turn off lane departure warnings. collision warnings can be turned off as normal.

All settings can be changed via the mobile app

Its important you don't swap SD cards when making setting changes so always try and use your normal card (ideally the thinkware one)

Fimware versions
F750 -UK
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a2woio3dji9oyqk/f750_3_1.00.15.zip
F770 -UK
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmsz896vrivxtcv/f770_3_1.00.02.zip

Convert your F750 to a F770
Format the Thinkware SD card
Download
extract the F770-pkg.bin file from the downloaded zip
copy the bin file to the SD card
Rename F770-pkg.bin to F750-pkg.bin
insert SD card and turn on the camera
Update may take a few minuets so DO NOT TURN OFF!

Update your converted F750

Download the firmware from thinkware
extract the contents of the downloaded zip to the root of the SD card (1 file and 2 folders)
Download the camera data for your area
replace the file in the DriveInfo folder on the SD card

I suspect that all firmware updates will work fine after this however in the interest of your own sanity I will test every firmware version and will report below

f770_3_1.00.02 - Initial release firmware - OK
f770_3_1.00.03 - Aug 2016 update - New speed camera functions - OK
f770_3_1.00.06 - Nov 2016 update - Fixed speed camera issues (?) - working, currently in testing

If you cant enable the speed camera data or some of the settings don't appear to change try this:
Download the latest firmware and speed camera data.
Get the thinkware SD card that has been used on your camera (has videos on it) and insert in to your computer
copy the speedcamera data file you downloaded to the "Driveinfo" folder
In the settings folder on the SD card delete setup.cfg
In the settings folder overwrite default.cfg with the version from the downloaded firmware zip file
Make a copy of default.cfg and rename it to setup.cfg
place the F770_pkg.bin you downloaded in to the root of the SD card
insert the SD card in to the camera and turn on, allow it to boot and install updates
using the same SD card insert card in to the computer
Change settings as required in the PC dashcam viewer program
Finally, copy the speedcamera data file you downloaded to the "Driveinfo" folder (yes do it again)
insert card in to camera and it "should" all be working

Does anyone have any useful technical information on this device?

Specifically I'm looking for info on:

Hardware access through UC-E6 port

Dump complete ROM

Unbrick device through UC-E6 port (ELF file?)

I have unpacked a precompiled image from thinkware

we have the following partitions

BST = Bootstrapper

BLD = Bootloader

HAL = Hardware abstraction Layer

PRI = Primary Kernel

SEC

RFS

DSP

LNX

HEADER
DO NOT INSTALL FIRMWARE V0.22
ONLY USE 0.15

F750 Development thread
We can convert our f750 to an f770 without issue and all functions work correctly, so long as you haven't upgraded to a firmware version beyond 0.15

I am in the process of attempting to create a modified firmware, I have successfully dumped the ROM but recompiling it is an issue

Need to find the uboot recovery files for the F750 camera.

NOTES:
28/11/16
Ambarella A7LA85 hardware tech sheets (JTAG included)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kwtr41n57n050k7/A7L-SHA-002-2.0_AMBARELLA_A7LA7LM_SYSTEM_HW.pdf

27/11/16
Please do not install any firmware versions after 0.15, installing .22 or newer will prevent you from installing F770 firmware files. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WAY TO REVERT TO 0.15

01/11/16
Do not use the thinkware F750 firmware version .22, there have been some people report issues and have not been able to change or update the firmware. Please only use .15 F750 version, then update to the .02 F770 version.

25/08/16
the PC viewer seems to have a bug where you cant turn off lane departure warnings. collision warnings can be turned off as normal.

All settings can be changed via the mobile app

Its important you don't swap SD cards when making setting changes so always try and use your normal card (ideally the thinkware one)

Fimware versions
F750 -UK
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a2woio3dji9oyqk/f750_3_1.00.15.zip
F770 -UK

Convert your F750 to a F770
Download
extract the F770-pkg.bin file from the downloaded zip
copy the bin file to the SD card
Rename F770-pkg.bin to F750-pkg.bin

Update your converted F750

Download the firmware from thinkware
extract the contents of the downloaded zip to the root of the SD card (1 file and 2 folders)
Download the camera data for your area
replace the file in the DriveInfo folder on the SD card

I suspect that all firmware updates will work fine after this however in the interest of your own sanity I will test every firmware version and will report below

f770_3_1.00.02 - Initial release firmware - OK
f770_3_1.00.03 - Aug 2016 update - New speed camera functions - OK
f770_3_1.00.06 - Nov 2016 update - Fixed speed camera issues (?) - working, currently in testing

If you cant enable the speed camera data or some of the settings don't appear to change try this:
Download the latest firmware and speed camera data.
Get the thinkware SD card that has been used on your camera (has videos on it) and insert in to your computer
copy the speedcamera data file you downloaded to the "Driveinfo" folder
In the settings folder on the SD card delete setup.cfg
In the settings folder overwrite default.cfg with the version from the downloaded firmware zip file
Make a copy of default.cfg and rename it to setup.cfg
place the F770_pkg.bin you downloaded in to the root of the SD card
insert the SD card in to the camera and turn on, allow it to boot and install updates
using the same SD card insert card in to the computer
Change settings as required in the PC dashcam viewer program
Finally, copy the speedcamera data file you downloaded to the "Driveinfo" folder (yes do it again)
insert card in to camera and it "should" all be working

Does anyone have any useful technical information on this device?

Specifically I'm looking for info on:

Hardware access through UC-E6 port

Dump complete ROM

Unbrick device through UC-E6 port (ELF file?)

I have unpacked a precompiled image from thinkware

we have the following partitions

BST = Bootstrapper

BLD = Bootloader

HAL = Hardware abstraction Layer

PRI = Primary Kernel

SEC

RFS

DSP

LNX

HEADER

I am an expat Brit living in Canada. The versions you talk about have diff numbering ie f750-1-1 the original file. F750-1-4 is the latest. Currently I have the 128 gig card working fine. I have not followed your f770 upgrade rubic yet. Do I also have to rename the f770 zip file to f750? You did not mention if that was necessary. Is there a way to change the size of the parking file downwards when you cannot use it and you want to increase the size for continuous. The Mfg says they will not provide that ability in future upgrades. There must be a way to change the parameters in the software for choice "A" to increase continuous and reduce parking space. If you can crack the code, please consider that change.

ok, different regions have different firmware upgrades so the version numbers look slight different, but the principle is the same, take the F770 firmware I linked to, rename it to F750, copy it on to the SD card and then insert in to the camera.

for example, the F770 v.02 firmware is this in the uk
f770_3_1.00.02
the 3 is irrelevant, and all the versions are 1.00.XX its the last two digits that matter, however so long as you download the v.02 firmware then rename the F770_pkg.bin file to F750_pkg.bin it will work.

DO NOT update the F750 firmware to one newer than V.15, doing so will prevent you from upgrading to the f770. Also, do not download the latest f770 firmware just yet, use the one I linked to, once you have the f770 firmware installed you can then install any further F770 firmware from whatever region you want.

Back