michaeln

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am having connectivity issues with my recently purchased Thinkware U1000 front and rear dash camera with an iVolt mini to power it purchased from Thinkware Canada on Amazon.ca.

When attempting to pair the camera using the Thinkware Cloud app on my Samsung Note 9 I can get through all the steps until when the application asks to press the wifi button on the camera and then click next.

I am able to connect to the camera using my phones wifi where the network says “connected without internet” but the thinkware cloud app will not move on to the next step and the camera never confirms successful connection by audibly saying “connected to a smartphone.”

I have tried resetting the camera using the button, using the record and voice button, I have restarted the app on phone, reset my phone, I update the camera using the thinkware Canada website with U1000 Firmware Canada 1.00.13 (2020-04-16), I have used both the thinkware 32GB memory card that came with the camera and a Samsung EVO Select 128GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card.

Some relevant information:
Camera: THINKWARE U1000 Dual Dash Cam 4K UHD 3840X2160 Front Cam, 2K 2560X1440 Rear Cam
Battery: THINKWARE iVolt Mini Dash Cam External Battery
Phone: Samsung Note 9, android 9, locked not rooted
Car: 2016 Mercedes-Benz C450

Any help would be appreciated.

Try turning off your phone's smart network switch (may be another term that's similar for your specific phone) and/or to try in airplane mode with only Wifi on.

I put the phone in airplane mode, connected to the thinkware wifi network and then entered the app but still don't get the audible verification from the camera that the smartphone was connected and cannot press next in the app.

Did you try turning off smart network switch?

Hm, try:

1. Forgetting the network
2. Reinstalling app
3. Firmware reflash for the dash cam

Got another phone to try wtih?

I had the same issue you had and resolved it by taking the following steps. The sequence is CRITICAL.

1. Reset the device by holding the REC + WiFi buttons at the same time until the camera beeps.
2. Push the WiFi button and then look for the Thinkware network that will connect without internet.
3. Once connected, reformat the 32GB microSD (I am assuming you have a sign-in with Thinkware)
4. Connect to Hotspot. I could connect to my SUV's Hotspot with Internet, but it would not let me register the camera. I had to turn my SUV's Hotspot off, and turn my smartphone's Hotspot on. Once I entered my SSID and password for the smartphone Hotspot, I connected to the Internet.
5. CLOSE THE APP.
6. REOPEN THE APP. When the app reopens you should hear "connected to a smartphone" and a pop-up saying "registration complete."
7. Once the registration is complete, disable your smartphone's Hotspot and re-enable your vehicle's Hotspot. Your camera system should connect to the vehicle Hotspot with access to the available Cloud features.

My only issue at this point is that although my camera system is receiving power from the BlackVue B-124X (hardwired), my SUV's modem does not. I think my modem is embedded in my Telematics Control Unit. I know where the fuse for this unit is, but I am not sure if it is wise to supply it with continuous power from the B-124X which I would likely need to expand with another battery. If I can't power my vehicle's modem when it is parked, I won't be able to check in on it from my smartphone.

I hope this helped!

Back