Thinkware U3000 + Ivolt Xtra install help

rsdc

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello DashCamTalk community. I need help hardwiring my new Thinkware U3000 dashcam along with the Ivolt Xtra into my Audi RS5 b8.5.

I am following the Thinkware diagram as shown in the photos.

I'm planning on using a fuse tap to plug the B+ (Constant power) into the trunk 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter fuse. The thing I don't understand is when I use a circuit tester on the 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter fuse, its lighting up showing constant power even when my car is off.

I tested both 12-volt socket, cigarette lighter in my car (one in the front centre console and the other in the armrest storage) when the car is off and both 12-volt sockets seem to be off.

Does anyone knows what is happening here and if this is a fuse I should be using? The reason I want to use this fuse box in the trunk for constant power is because I am putting the Ivolt Xtra in the trunk and the fuse box will be right next to it and its a 20 amp fuse which matches the 20 amp fuse that was included in the Thinkware Ivolt Xtra kit.

I am planning on wiring the ACC wire to the right passenger side fuse box and using the MMI/Radio fuse. The fuse currently in that slot is a ATO 5 amp fuse so i'll need to buy another 5 amp fuse for the ACC power fuse tap. The reason I am planning to run ACC to the front passenger side fuse box is because all the fuses in the trunk light up with using a circuit tester so they appear to be B+ (Constant power).

Does this look correct? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Attached are images of what I am looking at.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.52.24.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.52.37.png
photo_2023-12-06 14.11.28.jpeg
photo_2023-12-06 14.11.32.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.53.53.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.53.59.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.54.05.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 13.54.10.png

I figured it out, what I did was wire the constant power to the 12-volt socket in the trunk and then wire the ACC up to the driver side fuse box to the homelink fuse.

Doing more research into this, I am now concerned with circuit overload for both the constant and acc power. Will do more research and follow up in this thread.

For constant power, the Ivolt Xtra power draw set on high is 8.5amps and low is 4.6amps, the 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter fuse being a 20 amp fuse looks to be adequate. I was concerned that I would need to run a relay to make everything safe.

If I run something that draws a lot of power say an air compressor I would need to remember to turn the Ivolt Xtra off to not overload the circuit. Otherwise, the only thing I would use the 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter would be to charge my phone which from what I read doesn't draw that much power.

Instead of using the included 20amp fuse that came with the Thinkware kit, I will purchase a 10amp fuse to put into the constant power fuse tap. So the original 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter fuse will be 20amps in position 1 and the constant power to the Ivolt Xtra will have a 10amp fuse in position 2.

The ACC fuse that I am tapping into is 5amps and it doesn't sound like the battery/dash camera draws a lot of power from that and its more so only used to tell the battery when the car is on or off so I will purchase another 5amp fuse to put into position 2 for the acc power fuse tap.

Another option would be to check for a free fuse slot with a multimeter and plug constant power into that. Will check tomorrow and follow up.

I would assume you will want to plug into a high amp fuse with the constant wire, as that is what is going to take the load of charging, the ACC wire i assume is just a trigger wire just like if you hardwired without a power pack.
Some power packs can draw XX Amps when hardwired, but i guess thats not the case with the Ivolt one.

Exactly, the constant wire I plan on pugging into the 12-volt socket/cigarette lighter fuse which has a 20amp fuse.

ACC wire will be going into the homelink fuse which has a 5amp fuse.

It looks like the Ivolt Xtra draws roughly a maximum of 8.5amps according to the videos I've seen from retrocarguy530 so the 20amp fuse will be more then adequate.

Back