Thinkware U3000 - Testing / Review - RCG

I received a replacement U3000 front camera (unit 4). On 01-Feb, I powered the replacement U3000 for several hours in my office to charge up the RTC clock battery. I installed the U3000 in my car. The U3000 remained powered off from 01-Feb-2024 until today 09-Feb-2024. I was sick so I wasn't driving my car. The RTC clock issue occurred again. The first four minutes of video files from today's drive had a date/time from 01-Feb-2024 just after I installed the U3000 into my car. I reported that behavior to Thinkware support.

I discovered that the internal microphone on this replacement U3000 (#4) is not working correctly. There is a low level audio "hiss" sound present in the audio track. I confirmed I have the "Voice Recording" setting turned on in the settings. I used my headphones to listen to the audio track contents. The very first file created today has a very low volume / muffled "have a safe drive today" announcement recorded. So, the U3000 was attempting to record audio, but the internal microphone is messed up in this U3000 front camera.

U3000 unit 4 has a serial number that is 10 before the serial number from unit 3 which also has the RTC battery issue. Both were manufactured in June 2023. I've reported this problem to Thinkware support as well. _bang_head_here_
I'm having the same issue.

Camera is in a sports car. When the doors and windows are close, there is a loud hissing noise. When the windows are down and I'm driving, I hear nothing but wind. I had a VioFo temporarily inside that car and it picked up much better audio.

Hi folks. I have an U3000 but the voice recording quality is shocking. It's crackling and heaps of static. Is that normal?

Hi folks. I have an U3000 but the voice recording quality is shocking. It's crackling and heaps of static. Is that normal?
No that is not normal. Just this week, I sent back a U3000 that won't record any audio other than some low level static.

No that is not normal. Just this week, I sent back a U3000 that won't record any audio other than some low level static.
Yes. So much static and crackling... I am sending it back too...
Thanks for your help.

Hello, any related concern or issue similar to static and crackling sound please send us an email to support@thinkware.com so we can evaluate it and for possible replacement if found faulty.

Hello, any related concern or issue similar to static and crackling sound please send us an email to support@thinkware.com so we can evaluate it and for possible replacement if found faulty.
Thanks. I've already contacted Thinkware Australia and started a return.
I've sent multiple videos and they confirmed the issue. They told me that never "happened before". We all know it has happened before...
So hard to tell the truth?

Cheers

@pnorth did the new camera work any better?

I'm facing the same issue and they are asking for video proof, but this is a wide range issue with all of their cameras...

@pnorth did the new camera work any better?

I'm facing the same issue and they are asking for video proof, but this is a wide range issue with all of their cameras...
I am still waiting for a replacement. 3 weeks later...
I will let you know as soon as I get the replacement... Pretty sure it will be crap too. Looks like their camera is just a overpriced POS...

Back