trouble updating FW

liam0918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to update the FW on my 0801 from 0913 to 0924 , im getting io error and low speed error when the card is half way full but the update wont work what am i doing wrong

i formatted the card. downloaded the 0924fw from givoe extracted it to the memory card only 1 file (firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15) . i plug the memory card back into the camera then switch it back on but the camera just records normal, i dont get the upgrade screen

seems im not the only person with errors , im going to try what others have done by turning the audio off while recording, see if it carrys on recording and loops , audio would of been nice though

the firmware normally won't run because the file name is incorrect, if the file name is incorrect it generally means it's the incorrect firmware for your hardware version and is intentionally not updating

i need some info, the cam seems stable when recording in 1min loops and audio off but not stable if you press the lock button thats when i get the errors, (not a prob tbh with the lock file) what i dont understand is why aint it stable with 5 min clips and audio? cant the cam cope with it or is it memory card fault?

i need some info, the cam seems stable when recording in 1min loops and off but not stable if you press the lock button thats when i get the errors, (not a prob tbh with the lock file) what i dont understand is why aint it stable with 5 min clips and audio? cant the cam cope with it or is it memory card fault?

FWIW I've only ever used the default settings ie. 1 min loops, only change I've made in settings is to turn off screen after 3mins. Have you not tried other cards...just to eliminate a card problem. May be worth running h2testw.exe to check your current card, it will also tell you what it's continuous write capability is.
As even alleged branded cards can sometimes fall short of their quoted performance specs, though I assume you would have already eliminated the card as a likely culprit.

It's possible that some of these camera's can only be made stable by using a older firmware which outputs .TS files, as all these problems have only occurred on some of these cameras after they switched to .MOV files. As I think I'd rather have .TS files with audio, than .MOV files without audio. I just wish I could offer more definitive suggestions to help you. :-(.
Last resort would be to return it and demand a refund or replacement, Maybe if enough buyers returned them it may force them to get the problems sorted, or at least encourage sellers to only buy from Chinese factories where it's shown they actually work properly.

Last edited:
im just running h2testw.exe to test that (samsung class 6 card) unless its a really good fake card , anyway of telling becuase it looks genuine. ill post results when finish, i have a 16gb card so ill try that first. ive just done a default settings reset but changed lcd display to 3 mins power off, and see how that goes

heres the results class6 32gb samsung ,
Warning: Only 29962 of 29963 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 11.7 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

im just running h2testw.exe to test that (samsung class 6 card) unless its a really good fake card , anyway of telling becuase it looks genuine. ill post results when finish, i have a 16gb card so ill try that first. ive just done a default settings reset but changed lcd display to 3 mins power off, and see how that goes

Yes..you can tell a fake Samsung by looking on the back, and you will see a slightly glossy small rectangle with the cards info on it. You may need a magnifying glass to read it, but the fakes either don't have it at all, or its just cheaply printed on the surface, and the print won't be as clear, it also comes off when rubbed, often the printing on the front is not as clear as the genuine card either. That little rectangle on the rear is the real giveaway. It's almost similar to a security hologram.

I would say however that your card is genuine, as the write speeds you posted are quite impressive for a class 6 and are typical for genuine Samsung cards. The read speeds are a little lower than I get on my PC with similar cards, but that can be differences in card reader or other factors, but write speeds are very good for a class 6, infact it's better than some class 10 cards I've seen.

Sadly it doesn't help you in resolving your probs other than now you can probably eliminate the card. AAMOI Are the problems still occurring if you power the camera direct from its own USB socket.?

Last edited:
right ive tested a 2gb (no nane on card) with audio and video 1min loops and it was perfect, (but 2gb is no good lol) personaly i think the record errors are down to the camera not coping with a high gb card. just testing a 16gb class 4 sandisk card atm

Sadly it doesn't help you in resolving your probs other than now you can probably eliminate the card. AAMOI Are the problems still occurring if you power the camera direct from its own USB socket.?

do you mean powering it at the top of the camera not the base?

do you mean powering it at the top of the camera not the base?

Yes.. when I try to resolve issues with most things, I'll try anything, if your've read some of the older posts you may have noticed me mention how poor the usb connections are with some of these camera's. Even when it appears the camera is getting a good supply because it powers up when you switch on, but I can assure you.. poor connections on these camera's account for some of weird behaviour some users get, because I've had it happen myself about 3 or 4 times, mainly with my first mini 0801 camera I bought. Sometimes it would power up and start to record okay, and sometimes it would power on and just stop recording after say 10 or 15 seconds. at other times it would work for probably an hours or so and then stop on it's own. I tried different cards, but in my case it was proved to be a poor electrical connection on the mini USB plug. On another occasion when it started stopping again, I gave the connectors a blast of isopropyl cleaner and tightened up the connector a little, but this time it didn't seem to fix it as it had done about a week before.

I tried another 2 cables and a different power supply.. just in case it was that.. and it was exactly the same, sometimes it would stop after a few minutes or sometimes after an hour, so I removed the camera from the mount and gave the sprung contact pins a clean, and also cleaned the contacts on the camera itself, I mounted the camera again, and that was about 2 weeks ago, and it really hasn't stopped since. This particular camera is used as a dirt cheap home security camera watching my car on the driveway and the entrance to our property, so it's been running constantly for 24/7 for a good 2 months, other than when I've removed the card a few times when I've wanted to check the video and copy the files to my hard-drive, and of course to fix that power issue.

So in effect, if you connect directly to the camera you have instantly removed 1 set of contacts from the potential list of culprits, and Note even if you have the GPS version, your gps will still work, as the GPS will pick it's power up from the camera itself.

Sadly there are many factors that may be causing some users problems, and because of the nature of the beast it can be very difficult to narrow it down, all we can do is to try and eliminate possibilities, but in reality other than the issues I mentioned above I personally have had few problems, my second 2 camera's, one with just GPS, (same as the first) and the last camera which has GPS + the 8GB onboard memory have worked flawlessly for almost 2 months, these second 2 are the ones that are used in my car.

If you really want ultra reliability with excellent build quality then I can certainly recommend the Mio range of dashcams namely the 358, the 368 which I use in my wife car, the 368 also has WDR capabilities, and the image quality is impressive too, and lastly the mio 388 which has built-in GPS and speed cam warning too. I paid £163 for my 368, and the 388 is £199, the Mio358 is £149 in Halfords, but the mini 0801 image quality is pretty good IMO, and is certainly the better buy, especially so if you can get one that works properly, and obviously they are much cheaper. :)
Time to close this book...now that's what you call a reply..lol, not that it helps you very much... I truly wish I could offer you a definitive solution. ;-)

Last edited:
im trying to update the FW on my 0801 from 0913 to 0924 , im getting io error and low speed error when the card is half way full but the update wont work what am i doing wrong

i formatted the card. downloaded the 0924fw from givoe extracted it to the memory card only 1 file (firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15) . i plug the memory card back into the camera then switch it back on but the camera just records normal, i dont get the upgrade screen
I made a new thread here that might help if you still want to try updating your firmware:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/firmware-file-names.3167/

ive updated to 1026 left it running over night and all was ok it was looping , untill i turned it off and back on again and got, LOW SPEED CARD, and storage io error. starting to think i shouldnt have brought this 0801

ive updated to 1026 left it running over night and all was ok it was looping , untill i turned it off and back on again and got, LOW SPEED CARD, and storage io error. starting to think i shouldnt have brought this 0801

Bummer :-/ I was hoping 1026 might be the best firmware yet, but it's possible your hardware rev is slightly different.
Yeah all these reasons are why my 0801 is now my rear DashCam.

i might try 0924 fw after testing a 16gb class 4 card, last test was 32gb class 6 (samsung) this time im getting the errors when the card is full not half way on the 32gb card.

success (i think) lol 16gb class 4 card works 1 min clips with audio , 1026fw

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John_PY Mini 0801 8
H Mini 0801 2
Back