Truck Crashes into Police Car

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Crazy dash cam video of a empty fuel tanker truck smashing into a police car and killing an officer. Was using his smart phone instead of paying attention.

The full news story is here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...k-time-crash-killed-officer-article-1.1504194

Apparently the truck was equipped with Drivecam. Seems like a fleet dash camera that uploads events via cellular. First time I have heard of this.
illustration_web.jpg

Drivecam has been at it for many years, there are other similar systems used in the professional transport industry as well

I don't know much about that side of the business. Apparently on their website they have been around since 1998. They even offer a "family package"...$650 for camera with installation and $30 for monthly monitoring. A bit pricey but I could see this being a popular feature for consumers if prices come down.

I don't know much about that side of the business. Apparently on their website they have been around since 1998. They even offer a "family package"...$650 for camera with installation and $30 for monthly monitoring. A bit pricey but I could see this being a popular feature for consumers if prices come down.

Drivecam has about 400K installed in Fleet Vehicles and is backed by Venture Capital. Please see attached.

Attachments

• ignition_2.pdf
    539.7 KB · Views: 5
#1, capture risky driving. The pic shows a cam mounted under the rear view mirror & yet matey boy had a wallet propped up on the dash to cover the camera!
A real pity the system wasn't setup so it automatically sent a pic of the driver every minute. Anyone then monitoring incoming pics would have seen the camera being blocked & maybe send an alert to the driver.
Can't believe they let him out on bail!

Anyone then monitoring incoming pics would have seen the camera being blocked & maybe send an alert to the driver.

Who has the time to monitor it all the time. It would be good to have a facial recognition. If it does not see your face, it will send an alert back to dispatch or monitoring center.

Who has the time to monitor it all the time. It would be good to have a facial recognition. If it does not see your face, it will send an alert back to dispatch or monitoring center.
OK, anyone or anything! As long as there is some monitoring going on.

Obviously people shouldn't text or read text while in motion, but, if they do, they should hold the phone directly in front of them and just below the sight line to the road ahead so that, with their peripheral vision, they could see that truck on the shoulder. This guy did it all wrong by looking left and down...

Obviously people shouldn't text or read text while in motion, but, if they do, they should hold the phone directly in front of them and just below the sight line to the road ahead so that, with their peripheral vision, they could see that truck on the shoulder. This guy did it all wrong by looking left and down...
There is NO right way to text and drive regardless of how you do it. If you're texting you aren't focussed on driving and your response time and vehicle control can be seriously compromised

Regards
Kev

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Yes Kev, that was my point, just don't do it.

But the rest was for those that will do it anyway and should do it as safely as possible.

But there will still be people that will do it in the worst way just because they aren't very smart.

Jim

Yes Kev, that was my point, just don't do it.

But the rest was for those that will do it anyway and should do it as safely as possible.

But there will still be people that will do it in the worst way just because they aren't very smart.

Jim
sorry but that's like giving advice on how to speed correctly. There is no correct way.

It's the smart ones that think they can do it safely that worry me the most !

sorry but that's like giving advice on how to speed correctly. There is no correct way.

It's the smart ones that think they can do it safely that worry me the most !
Kev,
I'm not sure if we're agreeing or arguing about this. I hope it's agreeing...

Kev,
I'm not sure if we're agreeing or arguing about this. I hope it's agreeing...
similar opinions jwc, I'm just a bit more agressive about it :) no offense intended.

Back