U3000 Stuck in Parking Mode

Berz888

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My U3000 is plugged into the OBD of my 2023 Civic. I'm noticing it doesn't always switch to continuous recording mode if it is in the middle of recording an impact from when I enter the car (closing the door) or when it's recording in RADAR mode (when I walk in front of the car). Otherwise, while driving it will go into continuous recording mode but after 30 seconds it will say it is going back into parking mode. Power cycling does not fix this issue, is my unit defective or is there else wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Most likely related to OBD 2 cable not supporting your vehicle for some reason. I have seen this exact challenge on some German vehicles where the dash camera will go into parking mode after a few minutes of driving. first thing to try. 1. plug in cigarette lighter and make sure it operates normally while driving. 2. if that works fine then I would look at hardwiring the unit. You can use the OBD2 cable to hardwire. If you do not know how I can send step by step pictures. Most likely your OBD2 plug is not supported. 3. final resort is to unplug and plug the OBD2 cable in 3 times and then within 15 second start the vehicle up and let it run for 5 minutes. If it goes into parking mode within those 5 minutes it is probably no support on OBD2.

Okay. I'll do some more troubleshooting to see. The thing is that this happens about 40% of the time, not always. When it works, it's fine.

Okay. I'll do some more troubleshooting to see. The thing is that this happens about 40% of the time, not always. When it works, it's fine.
Okay then. That is good information. Have you tried unplugging the power connector from U3000 and replugging it back in just in case it is not lined up correctly?

Okay then. That is good information. Have you tried unplugging the power connector from U3000 and replugging it back in just in case it is not lined up correctly?
Yes. This puts it back into continuous mode for 30 seconds and then it flips to parking mode.

Yes. This puts it back into continuous mode for 30 seconds and then it flips to parking mode.
Everything you are saying its making me think it is OBD2 adaptor. Did you verify with cigarette lighter cord that the unit operates normally?

Everything you are saying its making me think it is OBD2 adaptor. Did you verify with cigarette lighter cord that the unit operates normally?
Tested this and yes it operates normally. The problem is when it switches from parking to continuous. It's super intermittent, worked normally for 3-4 days, then today it glitched again. When I parked the car it seemed to stay in continuous...I left after 5 mins...hopefully, it didn't drain my battery.

Could it be a faulty OBD cable/connector supplied by Thinkware?

Tested this and yes it operates normally. The problem is when it switches from parking to continuous. It's super intermittent, worked normally for 3-4 days, then today it glitched again. When I parked the car it seemed to stay in continuous...I left after 5 mins...hopefully, it didn't drain my battery.

Could it be a faulty OBD cable/connector supplied by Thinkware?
I would chat with Thinkware. I don't use their OBD2 cables. I use the IROAD OBD2 cable.

I'm wondering if I bought the IROAD OBD2 cable would solve this issue. Does your car have the start-stop feature?
I do not use it in my own setup as I have a battery pack. I do not know if the IROAD OBD2 cable would correct this. FIrst course of action is I would use the cigarette lighter cable and see if it is fine while driving. That should rule out any challenges for continuous recording.

Last edited:
I do not use it in my own setup as I have a powercell. I do not know if the IROAD OBD2 cable would correct this. FIrst course of action is I would use the cigarette lighter cable and see if it is fine while driving. That should rule out any challenges for continuous recording.
Yes, with the cigarette lighter it works normally with no issues. If I switch back to the OBD is where the problem would start again intermittently.

My car does have the start/stop system...I see the IROAD OBD2 supports. I'm not really down to hardwire if I don't have to.

Yes, with the cigarette lighter it works normally with no issues. If I switch back to the OBD is where the problem would start again intermittently.

My car does have the start/stop system...I see the IROAD OBD2 supports. I'm not really down to hardwire if I don't have to.
Did you see in the U3000 menu this option and have you changed it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 2.23.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 2.23.13 PM.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 15
That is set to regular car.
If you have a start stop car. Maybe try Hybrid and see if that corrects it. Just a thought. I am actually not sure on what that option does at this present time. Hmm and the owners manual is very vague.

I updated to hybrid. Looks like it only gives higher cutoff voltages. I've set it to 23.8 for now...seems to still happen.

I wonder if the 24V option makes any difference?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_170350_DASH CAM LINK.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_170350_DASH CAM LINK.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 9
24 volt option should not make a difference. I would turn hybrid off. I was just fishing for answers for you.

24 volt option should not make a difference. I would turn hybrid off. I was just fishing for answers for you.
Fair enough. Thinking of either going hardwire or the IRoad OBD connector at this point. Any recommendations?

Also, great review on the U3000, saw it on YouTube :)

Fair enough. Thinking of either going hardwire or the IRoad OBD connector at this point. Any recommendations?

Also, great review on the U3000, saw it on YouTube :)
I definitely prefer hardwire over everything. It says you are in Canada. Where are you located? I am Greater Vancouver area

Back