Upgrade A229 Pro 2CH to 3CH

Zelig

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you buy the A229 Pro 2CH can you later upgrade it to 3CH by simply adding the 3rd IR Camera, or is the hardware in the main unit different ?

If you can buy the standalone interior camera, then yes you can. It simply plugs into the unit

Three cameras are no super prize, is not a positive thing. It's only good for taxi drivers, Uber drivers and the like.

The cameras will still use is the maximum aggregate bitrate for both two and three cameras. Therefore, the image will be a bit worse especially for the front camera, because it will have a lower bitrate available

Camera bitrate.png

Three cameras are no super prize, is not a positive thing. It's only good for taxi drivers, Uber drivers and the like.

The cameras will still use is the maximum aggregate bitrate for both two and three cameras. Therefore, the image will be a bit worse especially for the front camera, because it will have a lower bitrate available

View attachment 69808
Incorrect.
-
Correct.
-

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 2.43.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 2.43.42 AM.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 22
  • viofo_a229_pro_bitrates_20230925.png
    viofo_a229_pro_bitrates_20230925.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 24
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. English is not my native language but I will try my best.

I am about to purchase an A229 2CH or 3CH. If have already read a lot here and searched the forum. But I still wonder
  1. if I can configure a 3CH version to only use the front and rear cameras and ignore the indoor camera - even if it is connected.
  2. whether in this case (i.e. 3CH version is configured as in #1) the 3CH version would produce just as high bit rates as the 2-channel version does.
If that's the case, I would buy a 3CH version and adapt it to my daily needs. If not, I would have to buy a 2-channel version for maximum bitrates.

I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. English is not my native language but I will try my best.

I am about to purchase an A229 2CH or 3CH. If have already read a lot here and searched the forum. But I still wonder
  1. if I can configure a 3CH version to only use the front and rear cameras and ignore the indoor camera - even if it is connected.
  2. whether in this case (i.e. 3CH version is configured as in #1) the 3CH version would produce just as high bit rates as the 2-channel version does.
If that's the case, I would buy a 3CH version and adapt it to my daily needs. If not, I would have to buy a 2-channel version for maximum bitrates.

Welcome.

It is better to buy the 3-channel version, even if you will only use two cameras. Just don't connect it.
If later you want to have a 3CH, then you will already have a salon camera.
Buying an interior camera separately will cost 2 times more than buying it as a kit.

Hi all,

Welcome to the club.

1.) if I can configure a 3CH version to only use the front and rear cameras and ignore the indoor camera - even if it is connected.
No, you simply pull out the connector just a bit for the IR Interior camera.
This is very easy to do since it’s a 3.5mm jack plug.

2.) whether in this case (i.e. 3CH version is configured as in #1) the 3CH version would produce just as high bit rates as the 2-channel version does.
In 1-CH the Front camera Bitrate is 60 Mbps.
In 2-CH REAR the Front camera Bitrate is 60 Mbps.
In 2-CH IR INTERIOR the Front camera Bitrate is 36 Mbps.
In 3-CH the Front camera Bitrate is 36 Mbps.
In other words connecting the REAR camera does not lower the Front camera’s Bitrate.
Only connecting the IR Interior camera lowers the Front camera’s Bitrate.

I still recommend you buy the 3-CH because in parking mode all channels Bitrate will drop to 4 Mbps.
You will get the benefit of the IR Interior’s POV looking out your side windows.
During normal driving you can disconnect the IR Interior to achieve 60 Mbps Bitrate on the front camera, and when you park re-connect the IR Interior camera.
Also the 3-CH version is only $20 additional cost.
If you buy the IR Interior camera separate later it will cost $70.
Here is what the IR Interior POV looks like mounted on the rear window.
Take note of how much you can see out the side windows;

Last edited:
Thank you guys. These answers are much more than I expected.

Although money always plays a role, in this case what matters most to me is the image quality. According to your answers, the 3 channel camera is just as good as the 2 channel version when I unplug the indoor camera. Something I can live with.

Therefore I will choose the 3CH version.

@Panzer Platform : I have already seen some of your videos on youtube and I like them. But your answer here in particular is exactly what I've been looking for over the last few days.

Thank you so much! (y)

If you are not 100% that you will need interior camera just buy now the 2CH version. As it is written above, when using 3CH the front channel bitrate is going down by a lot (from 60mbps to 36mbps) and this means the front image will be not so good as in the 2CH version. And you said you want image quality.

If you are not 100% that you will need interior camera just buy now the 2CH version. As it is written above, when using 3CH the front channel bitrate is going down by a lot (from 60mbps to 36mbps) and this means the front image will be not so good as in the 2CH version. And you said you want image quality.
That's true. I bought the 3CH version,only use the front and internal cameras, Front camera Bitrate is over 30 M

Thank you guys. These answers are much more than I expected.

Although money always plays a role, in this case what matters most to me is the image quality. According to your answers, the 3 channel camera is just as good as the 2 channel version when I unplug the indoor camera. Something I can live with.

@Panzer Platform : I have already seen some of your videos on youtube and I like them. But your answer here in particular is exactly what I've been looking for over the last few days.

Thank you so much! (y)
Thank you for the kind words.
I forgot to give you a 5% Off Promo Code Exp 6/30/24: PANZERA229P
Of yeah, here’s my review of the A229 Pro;

As it is written above, when using 3CH the front channel bitrate is going down by a lot (from 60mbps to 36mbps) and this means the front image will be not so good as in the 2CH version
From my understanding of the posts above, this is not the case when I unplug the interior camera.

I recommended 3CH because I saw on other forums how people really regretted buying 2CH instead of 3CH in one set.

There's other dash cam forums?

Thank you, @Karagandinez
I had no Idea, I will definitely check them out

Thank you, @Karagandinez
I had no Idea, I will definitely check them out
I think that there are DVR forums in every country. Some places are more informative, others not.
I also often visited the Polish forum on DVRs. Sometimes there were interesting thoughts there.
Well, the largest and most informative forum is, of course, dashcamtalk.com.

Back