To upgrade or not to upgrade........

chili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Such a dilema choosing which path to go down. I was going to leave blackvue and jump ship to viofo however that is now not going to happen the a139pro would of been my choice had i jumped.

So i currently have a blackvue dr750x plus 2ch setup and to be honest i cannot complain about anything except its not 4k, and am fighting with myself do i need 4k or not. Blackvue cylinder shape camera is
a lovely shape for my car thats why i choose them, and if i were to upgrade it would be to the 970x which i have sourced for £350 in the uk thats for a 1ch camera as my existing rear cam and cable's are all compatible.

Like anything you do your homework first and watch reviews and decide from there, however this one is hard for me i cannot help but think my current setup is fine and the upgrade would just be a waste of cash, i have had this camera maybe 18mth
and never had any reason to use recorded footage.

A little voice in the back of my head is saying leave it for now see what blackvue bring out next, what would you do in my situation.

thanks

Such a dilema choosing which path to go down. I was going to leave blackvue and jump ship to viofo however that is now not going to happen the a139pro would of been my choice had i jumped.

So i currently have a blackvue dr750x plus 2ch setup and to be honest i cannot complain about anything except its not 4k, and am fighting with myself do i need 4k or not. Blackvue cylinder shape camera is
a lovely shape for my car thats why i choose them, and if i were to upgrade it would be to the 970x which i have sourced for £350 in the uk thats for a 1ch camera as my existing rear cam and cable's are all compatible.

Like anything you do your homework first and watch reviews and decide from there, however this one is hard for me i cannot help but think my current setup is fine and the upgrade would just be a waste of cash, i have had this camera maybe 18mth
and never had any reason to use recorded footage.

A little voice in the back of my head is saying leave it for now see what blackvue bring out next, what would you do in my situation.

thanks
The jump to 4k in daytime is a nice jump I'll be honest. But as you hit night time, other 2k sensors appear to be better such as in the Viofo a119 mini 2 - so it's not such a clear cut winner on that front.

Just because you haven't had a need to use footage doesn't mean that you're not going to need to at some stage in the future. How much value you place on video quality is totally a personal decision.

If you have the cash to burn and want to keep up with the latest and greatest then by all means grab a Viofo A229 Pro (or A229 Plus), as who knows when Blackvue is coming out with stuff with Starvis 2.

The jump to 4k in daytime is a nice jump I'll be honest. But as you hit night time, other 2k sensors appear to be better such as in the Viofo a119 mini 2 - so it's not such a clear cut winner on that front.

Just because you haven't had a need to use footage doesn't mean that you're not going to need to at some stage in the future. How much value you place on video quality is totally a personal decision.

If you have the cash to burn and want to keep up with the latest and greatest then by all means grab a Viofo A229 Pro (or A229 Plus), as who knows when Blackvue is coming out with stuff with Starvis 2.
Viofo a229 pro is not my cup of tea, i dislike the fact you have a wire coming out of three sides, if i were to go down the viofo road it would be the a139 pro were all the wires are in 1 face

cheers for your thoughts though

Viofo a229 pro is not my cup of tea, i dislike the fact you have a wire coming out of three sides, if i were to go down the viofo road it would be the a139 pro were all the wires are in 1 face

cheers for your thoughts though
Of course, everyone has their preference. Starvis 2 on rear sensor for the A229 Pro/Plus hence the reason me mentioning it haha

if i were to upgrade it would be to the 970x
I think I would wait for the next model if that is the choice. With the UK's large plates, FHD is enough resolution, and the FHD sensors do quite well. Blackvue are still using bitrates for 4K that are more suitable for high quality FHD, so the gains are not huge. Maybe on the next update they will improve things.

that is now not going to happen the a139pro would of been my choice had i jumped.
That would give you significantly better video quality, and audio, and it really isn't a big dashcam. Yes, the cables would need replacing, but that can be done. Maybe wait for the next Viofo release, when they get their new processors...

Damm now the a139 is at the front of my thoughts and will probably order this on my next set of off days, routed all my own cables for the blackvue so i know exactly where they go, piggy back fuses are all in place now :)

cheers for the replies

if i were to upgrade it would be to the 970x
BlackVue sent me a DR970X for test & review.
Long story short it’s a disaster, and I sent it back.

I don’t recommend the 139 Pro after seeing the image quality improvements of the A229 Pro.
I’m currently testing the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.

1080p to 4K Resolution should NOT be your motivating factor to upgrade.
STARVIS 2 & HDR are the reasons you want to upgrade now.

cylinder shape camera is
a lovely
Viofo a229 pro is not my cup of tea, i dislike the fact you have a wire coming out of three sides
Shop specifications first, form factor second.
The whole point of a dash cam is to resolve important details.
Camera shape, and wires sticking out the sides is vanity & illogical.

If you had no dash cam whatsoever, I would recommend (2) A119 Mini 2’s one front, one rear.
Since you already have a dash cam that’s functioning trouble free without recording malfunctions wait until something really blows up your dress.

However, if you upload some NIGHT TIME test footage of your DR750X Plus 2-CH, I’ll point out everything that’s wrong with it, and why STARVIS 2 with HDR will have you wanting to upgrade now.

BlackVue sent me a DR970X for test & review.
Long story short it’s a disaster, and I sent it back.

I don’t recommend the 139 Pro after seeing the image quality improvements of the A229 Pro.

Shop specifications first, form factor second.
The whole point of a dash cam is to resolve important details.
Camera shape, and wires sticking out the sides is vanity & illogical.

If you had no dash cam whatsoever, I would recommend (2) A119 Mini 2’s one front, one rear.
Since you already have a dash cam that’s functioning trouble free without recording malfunctions wait until something really blows up your dress.

However, if you upload some NIGHT TIME test footage of your DR750X Plus 2-CH, I’ll point out everything that’s wrong with it, and why STARVIS 2 with HDR will have you wanting to upgrade now.

thanks for your detailed reply and i agree with all you have said, but a139 pro is starvis 2 (front)
my night time footage from the blackvue is ok front but crap rear
wires and vanity i disagree with, and for that reason i will never buy the a229 pro even it had starvis 10 the wire just kill it for me

:) i may just wait after your advice

cheers

, but a139 pro is starvis 2 (front)
Yes, same sensor as the A229, so they ought to be able to produce the same quality. They don't at the moment, but Viofo is still working on the A229 firmware, so we will have to wait and see if it genuinely ends up better, and if it does, will the same firmware get put on the A139 to bring it in line?

The A229 does have the advantage of 2K instead of FHD at the rear, but that is not essential for UK driving.

I disagree with this statement

A229 Pro currently is lower quality at night then A139 Pro. Also front video quality is close to the same.
You will also lose 60FPS at 2K.

The only 3 things cool about A229 Pro
1.LCD
2. 30 FPS in 3 channel
3. Rear Camera STARVIS 2

There is some cool stuff with A229 Pro but too blatantly say you would no longer recommend A139 Pro is wrong.

Especially when the A139 Pro is developing a telephoto lens add on.......

I disagree with this statement
There is some cool stuff with A229 Pro but too blatantly say you would no longer recommend A139 Pro is wrong.
I've got 3 examples to change your mind, stay tuned.

A229 Pro currently is lower quality at night then A139 Pro
Correct.
Once the HDR gets fine tuned, and we get an "acceptable" firmware it should beat the A139 Pro in every aspect.
However, it's got better low light sensitivity, and it fixed the flickering issue the A139 Pro has in poor lighting conditions.
Again, I have 3 examples showing this.

You will also lose 60FPS at 2K.
This is kind of weird to bring up, because "no one" who buys a 4K camera is going to run it in 2K60fps.
Also, if I remember correctly @TonyM discovered, and made a post the 2K60fps on the A139 Pro is not a "true" 60fps, and it just doubles an extra frame.
Please forgive me if I paraphrased that incorrectly.
Tony can you explain that better?
The only 3 things cool about A229 Pro
1.LCD
2. 30 FPS in 3 channel
3. Rear Camera STARVIS 2
You forgot the 4th thing.
4.) Rear camera has it's own processor, so the Front camera can maintain it's 60 Mbps Bitrate.
The A139 Pro in 2-CH configuration the Front camera drops the Bitrate from 60 Mbps down to 45 Mbps.
Especially when the A139 Pro is developing a telephoto lens add on.......
This will be great for future models, but on the A139 Pro not so much.
It's just serving as a test mule.
Adding a second channel to the A139 Pro cuts the Bitrate of the front camera.
And most likely the telephoto camera will be STARVIS 1, and it will not have HDR.
So it's more of a dry run / test exercise.
Of course these are my opinions, and we all know what they're worth, and where I can stick 'em. lol

I've got 3 examples to change your mind, stay tuned.

Correct.
Once the HDR gets fine tuned, and we get an "acceptable" firmware it should beat the A139 Pro in every aspect.
However, it's got better low light sensitivity, and it fixed the flickering issue the A139 Pro has in poor lighting conditions.
Again, I have 3 examples showing this.

This is kind of weird to bring up, because "no one" who buys a 4K camera is going to run it in 2K60fps.
Also, if I remember correctly @TonyM discovered, and made a post the 2K60fps on the A139 Pro is not a "true" 60fps, and it just doubles an extra frame.
Please forgive me if I paraphrased that incorrectly.
Tony can you explain that better?

You forgot the 4th thing.
4.) Rear camera has it's own processor, so the Front camera can maintain it's 60 Mbps Bitrate.
The A139 Pro in 2-CH configuration the Front camera drops the Bitrate from 60 Mbps down to 45 Mbps.

This will be great for future models, but on the A139 Pro not so much.
It's just serving as a test mule.
Adding a second channel to the A139 Pro cuts the Bitrate of the front camera.
And most likely the telephoto camera will be STARVIS 1, and it will not have HDR.
So it's more of a dry run / test exercise.
Of course these are my opinions, and we all know what they're worth, and where I can stick 'em. lol
Starvis 1 and no HDR for telephoto, no thanks. Will wait for Gen 2..

Starvis 1 and no HDR for telephoto, no thanks. Will wait for Gen 2..
Don't expect Starvis 1, instead expect the most sensitive image sensor we have ever had on a dashcam!

They have the same image sensor and similar processors, I don't know which will end up with the best image quality, but there will not be much difference, and there will be disagreement over which is the best!

Claiming that one will be best "in every aspect" is just silly, you have to accept that different people will have different views!

A229pro will only be the best until something else comes along, which does not seem to too long in this sector. And i still think in my opinion the A229pro is nothing to get worked up about, and the a139pro is in my opinion a somewhat cleaner looking build given that only a few months ago everyone was almost creaming over it and it was how we english would describe as "the dog's bollock's" with a few flaws, enter the a229pro the new dog's bollock's with a few flaw's and lot's of cream waiting to be expelled in the review's :)

A229pro will only be the best until something else comes along, which does not seem to too long in this sector. And i still think in my opinion the A229pro is nothing to get worked up about, and the a139pro is in my opinion a somewhat cleaner looking build given that only a few months ago everyone was almost creaming over it and it was how we english would describe as "the dog's bollock's" with a few flaws, enter the a229pro the new dog's bollock's with a few flaw's and lot's of cream waiting to be expelled in the review's :)
Well that's the technology sector in general, and it's only gotten faster and worse over the years.

Fortunately for us, the actual number of decent dash cameras realised per year is eff-all. So even if it's six months, then at least we're not drowning in dash cam releases every week.

similar processors
A229 Pro has an upgraded processor, (96529).
Claiming that one will be best "in every aspect" is just silly, you have to accept that different people will have different views!
But, but, but you haven't seen my three examples yet. lol

A229 Pro has an upgraded processor, (96529).

But, but, but you haven't seen my three examples yet. lol
The only major problem I had is that you saying you would not recommend it anymore. Its like saying the A119 V3 is obsolete and noone should use it. But tons of people are still buying them. Lots of people hate Wi-Fi dash cameras. Mostly because they think it needs to hook up to their Home Wi-Fi. :) My opinion it should be discontinued and everyone should move to mini2. But its more money and some people dont have that amount of money after memory card and etc.

I personally love the A229 Pro. During the day. At night from my tests Most aspects the A139 Pro for my daily use is a better night camera. It would be great if they fix the HDR. (Maybe before they started shipping it) but i beleive this is going to be a few months of trying to stabilize and expecting Viofo customers to buy a product and then troubleshoot it for them.

The A139 PRO has become pretty stable now. Let's see how A229 Pro operates in a few months or when. they get HDR fixed. If they can.

The only major problem I had is that you saying you would not recommend it anymore.
Okay, I should have been more specific.
Instead of saying, “I said I don’t recommended the A139 Pro anymore” I should have said;
The A139 Pro is still kind of a good option, BUT ONLY IN 1-CH CONFIGURATION.
The A229 Pro has these advantages over the A139 Pro;
1.) Fixed the low light flickering issue
2.) Better overall low light sensitivity
3.) Maintains full quality 57 Mbps Bitrate is 2-CH configuration due to additional processor in the rear camera
4.) Can maintain 30fps in 3-CH configuration.
The last piece of the puzzle for the A229 Pro is the fine tuning, and polish of the HDR that the A119 Mini 2 has.
Let’s hug it out Broheem. lol

Back