Upgrading to new dashcams

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my current dashcams and am looking for better image quality and 30 fps. I've owned a pair of iTronics ITB-100HD's for a few years and have been pretty happy with them. I have some GoPro Hero3+ Blacks and love the image quality, but they haven't come out with the ability to power the cameras on/off with the car so I can't repurpose them as dashcams. While I'd like as professional video quality as possible, I totally get that that can be a stretch with these cameras. :D

My iTronics cams have served me well, but now I want a higher frame rate (30 fps instead of 24, 60 would be fantastic), higher image quality to read license plates, better audio if possible, and a smaller design (particularly for the rear cam).

Hopefully you guys can help me figure out if there's a camera that meets my needs. I've run through most of the popular options but am finding something here or there that I'd like to avoid. Here's my requirements:

Yes:
  • 1080p
  • 30fps
  • GPS
  • High video quality day and night
  • Black matte shell
  • Ability to display date/time/speed on screen
  • Relatively compact design
  • Smooth exposure transitions between sunny/shady areas
  • MPH, not KPH
  • Easy to insert/remove memory card
Would be nice:
  • 60 fps
  • Reasonable audio quality
  • SD instead of MicroSD
  • Ability to turn date/time/speed display off altogether, or at least just speed
  • Decent software, but I don't care if most of it is in Korean. I'll figure it out. ;)
  • Wifi is nice but not a must
  • 64+ gig memory card support
No:
  • LCD screen (I'm not opposed to them, but I prefer a smaller camera and would only use the LCD for initial framing. It'd be off when driving.)
  • Unnecessary text written on screen (camera name, vehicle voltage, etc.).
  • Tacky text when displayed (ie. neon green font)
Don't care:
  • Recording when parked
  • How good the "event" records are and noting when the camera's been bumped
So that's what I'm looking for.

The BlackVue DR650GW-2CH could be one possibility except that you can't get rid of the camera's model number on screen and the rear cam is only 720p. I do like the smaller rear camera's size, but would rather have full 1080p for the rear, even if it means buying two independent cameras and not one dual camera setup. In fact that'd be preferable.

I'd looked at some of the Finevu cameras a little while back and liked the image quality, but the text on screen issue was a dealbreaker.

I've even started looking at action cameras recently to see if they'll work. They may not have GPS, but the main thing with those is the ability to power on/off with the car.

Are there any cameras that meet my criteria?

Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
I can recommend you the LK-7950. Full HD Front + Full HD Rear 1080p. It comes sony lens with g sensor and motion detector, which will record and save the data automatically after there is any impact during the time of driving and parking. You won't need to worry about losing any important data because it will saved separately in a micro sd card, which means the daily driving videos and the impact data is separated into two SD card(8+8GB). It provide low voltage cut out, which you don't have to worry about the electricity in your vehicle. Also you can add one more CPL filter in order to make the video more clear by reducing the sunlight reflection. It's operating temperature is from -20℃ to 70 which the Lukas cams can solve the important problem of overheat comparing with the other brand in the market cannot It will be smaller than the other Lukas two channels cam and it is working in wifi too. Simply you can download the app in your smart phone and view your videos recording, or you can take out the sd card then insert into any computer and watch it. It is the smallest two channel dash cam in Lukas and there is no LCD screen compared with the other models. And GPS optional.
Check the our retail store (my user name) in Vancouver BC with the good currency between US$ and Canada$.
Or you can check our website, also you can search it using my user name.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm reading over the manual now. Looks like the lens is in the center of the camera so it'd have to be directly under the RVM in order to have a symmetric view of the car. I know I didn't mention this, but I kinda like when the lens is off to one side so I can put the camera on one side of the RVM and have it look out the center. Easier to have the mount next to the RVM versus under it for a less visible look. Anyways, I see on your site that you can turn off much of the text on the bottom of the screen. Can you also turn off the "always" in the center and the camera model number on the bottom right? The rear cam is nice and small but the front one looks huge. I'll have to go out in my car with the camera dimensions and see if it'll even work. The CPL ability is definitely nice. Kinda weird that the front is 30fps and the rear is only 24.

but would rather have full 1080p for the rear, even if it means buying two independent cameras and not one dual camera setup. In fact that'd be preferable.

Dual lens camera setups will always lag in quality compared to running 2 separate individual cams.

Why not install 2 Mini 0806 cameras. Add the optional GPS module to one. They can run at 1440p. 2304x1296 @ 30 fps, 1920x1080 @ 45 fps, or 1280x720 @ 60 fps.

Another option could be the K1S multi cam system. 2 remote cameras that connect to a separate DVR/LCD unit.

Last edited:
The problem with the Lukas LK-7950 is that it will sometimes display CHK and not record anything.

The Mini 0806 doesn't do 1440p - the highest resolution it can do is 2560x1080.

The Panorama X2 is still the best dual camera system that I've had and that's been installed in my car since October. Still some firmware issues that need fixing but the quality at night is as good as anything out there.

Two single channels can definitely be a good choice if you don't like the dual channel systems on the market.

I never like having all my eggs in one basket so run the X2 and SG9665GC up front and I'm thinking of sticking the Mini 0806 in the rear too soon as a test

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm reading over the manual now. Looks like the lens is in the center of the camera so it'd have to be directly under the RVM in order to have a symmetric view of the car. I know I didn't mention this, but I kinda like when the lens is off to one side so I can put the camera on one side of the RVM and have it look out the center. Easier to have the mount next to the RVM versus under it for a less visible look. Anyways, I see on your site that you can turn off much of the text on the bottom of the screen. Can you also turn off the "always" in the center and the camera model number on the bottom right? The rear cam is nice and small but the front one looks huge. I'll have to go out in my car with the camera dimensions and see if it'll even work. The CPL ability is definitely nice. Kinda weird that the front is 30fps and the rear is only 24.

technically the "always" text and the model number indicate the active mode of the cam, so I prefer not to turn off when you want to check back the detail information of the videos you have captured. And most importantly, because there will be no monitor for the LK-7950, and it will be recording videos based on your need, eg like the percentage of taking more daily driving or even motion detector when you adjust using the Lukas app with your sd card. Well just check what types of dash cam you want in the first place.

So the Mini 0806 looks quite promising. Compact, good image quality day and night, can turn that text off, GPS, CPL, can choose the orientation of the little camera depending on placement relative to the RVM, and so on. Heck, even having a card slot on both sides of the camera means that no matter how you orient the camera, it's easy to remove the card. Pretty handy. Power cable is only on one side though, but I like the side it's on.

Are there any big drawbacks to the camera? I understand there's been noise issues in the past, for example?

That Panorama X2 looks promising as well. Even better video quality. Not sure what's up with the bling, but that definitely deserves to be modded to make it more low key. First order of business with that camera. It's a little jumbo too. Any way to turn the text off on the bottom of that camera? Are both memory card slots on the side? I wonder how long it takes for the LCDs to power off in practice with these cameras.

Last edited:
Now that you have your choices narrowed down, I'd suggest taking time to read the threads which seem relevant in each cam's forum- especially ones regarding problems and solutions. You'll see a lot more viewpoints and experiences that way which should land you with the cam you will like best.

Phil

Agreed Phil. Thanks for the help in getting me pointed in the right direction, gents! I'm sure all of this has been discussed, and more. Such is the beauty of forums. :)

I spent at least a dozen hours reading these forums before buying my first cam. In that process I learned why my original thoughts about what I wanted were not all correct. I also learned what to expect from the cams I was considering by seeing what kinds of issues others had with them.

I didn't make a bad choice, but had I not spent that time here I would have wasted my money and possibly decided to not further pursue the concept. And realistically, there's a lot fewer choices here than looking for a new laptop or tablet computer so it's still feasible to do all of your own research with dashcams- with computers by the time you decide on one it's already obsolete and you have to start researching again!

Phil

Back